Best DVD backup/ripping software?

joppenheim

Hi there

I am looking for some software (paid or free) that will allow me to rip my DVDs?

These are legally purchased (encrypted) DVDs and I would like to access them electronically at home (obviously not for distribution).

While there are a number of sites who review this category of software, I am concerned about embedded viruses/malware/etc., especially in the free stuff. This category of software is normally abused and therefore found in the wrong circles.

Any recommendations?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
MakeMKV is the best solution imo. This will result in large files as it's a direct copy of the original, you can use Handbrake to encode these differently afterwards if you want.

sajunky

Honorary Master
DVD Decrypter with (optionally) DVDshrink were the best long time ago.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
-Daemon tools
-Make ISO
-Burn ISO to disk
-????
-Not to make profit

Neoprod

Honorary Master
MakeMKV is the best solution imo. This will result in large files as it's a direct copy of the original, you can use Handbrake to encode these differently afterwards if you want.

If you install AnyDVD or something like that, Handbrake can do the ripping as well as conversion in one go.

OP: I definitely would compress the DVD rip - DVD video is like 480p or something. A 4Gb file is just wasting space for that video quality.

joppenheim

Thanks, both MakeMKV and Handbrake work well...

One question though...encoding has a huge number of options. I would like to keep the soft copy as close to the original in quality (resolution, bitrates, etc.).

Is there a recommended output setting for DVD's as source? (Streaming to a console such as PS3, Apple TV, etc. is a requirement).

Thanks again!