Best hypervisor for routers

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I'm struggling to find a hypervisor that doesn't suck golf balls running an x86 router. Bare Metal works great but the drop in performance to virtual is dramatic.

Any good ideas???
I've tried cockpit-machines and xcp-ng.

grump_grouch

Used Hyper-V and Proxmox. Getting same throughput as dedicated router. Still want to play with ESXI. What router software are you running?

OCP

Expert Member
I've used pfSense and opnsense under VMware/Hyper-V/Proxmox - performance was never an issue.
Always used decent hardware and only Intel network cards.

grump_grouch

Problem I had with OPNsense is that there is an issue with the hardened BSD networking where you can't get much better than about 400Mbps throughput. They will only address this next year when they switch away from the hardened BSD.

Nuro

Expert Member
I used to run pfSense and OPNsense on kvm, using a bridged setup on Intel cards. The cards were setup on the client with paravirtualization. You have to disable hardware checksum offloading on the client, but I always managed to hit 1Gbps, basically maxing out the links. Also, make sure cpu hardware crypto is working (AES-NI extensions). When using pf/opnSense as a SSL terminator, I can still hit 1Gbps.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Used Hyper-V and Proxmox. Getting same throughput as dedicated router. Still want to play with ESXI. What router software are you running?
Fusion SD-WAN software using AES encryption.

Edit: I'm going to gibe Hyper-V a go as its recommended the best for CHR and then Proxmox if that doesn't work.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
I used to run pfSense and OPNsense on kvm, using a bridged setup on Intel cards. The cards were setup on the client with paravirtualization. You have to disable hardware checksum offloading on the client, but I always managed to hit 1Gbps, basically maxing out the links. Also, make sure cpu hardware crypto is working (AES-NI extensions). When using pf/opnSense as a SSL terminator, I can still hit 1Gbps.
I see offloading was enabled in the vm. Let me try that!

Moosedrool

Executive Member
I'm struggling to find a hypervisor that doesn't suck golf balls running an x86 router. Bare Metal works great but the drop in performance to virtual is dramatic.

Any good ideas???
I've tried cockpit-machines and xcp-ng.

I'm testing a sophos-xg firewall vm on vmware workstation with 2 10gbpe sfp+ cards. No issues since the virtual adapters are both VMXNET3.

Considering a complete virtual based environment like this inside vshphere. Even ports forwarded to the vm while the ESXI servers have some creative natting to disallow the hardware machines to be public facing though the physical nic.

Faux_Grey

KVM, ESXI, Proxmox, hyper-V, hell, I've even managed to get good performance through an Oracle Virtualbox instance.

Obviously if you're looking at hitting 10G and the like, KVM / ESX are gonna be your best options along with some offload-capable NIC.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
KVM, ESXI, Proxmox, hyper-V, hell, I've even managed to get good performance through an Oracle Virtualbox instance.

Obviously if you're looking at hitting 10G and the like, KVM / ESX are gonna be your best options along with some offload-capable NIC.
I'm using the 10G Intels.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
The problem I have with both KVM and Xen is that I can do a speedtest and get 8gbs. But when I terminate a tunnel on it that drops to 200mbs.
Bare metal tunnel termination tops out at 2.5gbs.