"best" prepaid cellular provider

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm on MTN 1c per second (no longer available for signup) so I need to talk for longer to reach the target spend to get the WOW Bonus. For me I opted for the minimum WOW Bonus as I can reach the R6 target almost every weekday. The bonus airtime however depletes at R2/min so R60 is in effect it 30min of MTN-MTN calls. SMS's (@50c) or data (@R2/MB) only deplete the bonus airtime once bundled SMS's or Data are finished.

There is now a R10 option which gives R128 Bonus airtime (64 MTN-MTN talk minutes) if you want some free calling to MTN on a particular day, though in that case perhaps buy a R5 rushhour (60min calling) pack, and stay on the smaller WOW package to get the daily bonus.
Indeed. If you manage prepaid promotions well you end off paying next to nothing for calls. I make it my business to know because talking on the phone should not hurt your pocket. If you are paying more for calls than a street wise 2 then you are doing things wrong.

I think MTN offers the best value for money. You do not excluded from any promotions no matter your price plan. They have so much more promotions than other networks.

FlashSA

Executive Member
You guys who are still on that MTN 60c are very lucky. Only other prepaid that comes close is Cell C's 66c per minute and, well, NO F-ING WAY!

cavedog

Honorary Master
*Updates*

Added Vodacom R1.5 price plan and a note to mention that Axxess and Afrihost apn options of their mobile data is now available on MTN Prepaid simcards.
Also updated Telkom Mobile data and voice bundles

Last edited:

mr_norris

Expert Member
Does one just contact Axxess or Afrihost to register one's prepaid MTN phone number and then change the APN on the phone?
Correct. I logged into the clientzone and signed up from there. You just select the APN option when signing up, and pop in your cell number. Once the APN has been provisioned on the SIM, you setup the APN on your phone and you're good to go.

I've done it. It's awesome.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Can one move from prepaid Vodacom to prepaid MTN while still keeping your number?
Yes. Just buy an MTN SIM and follow the steps to port in the pamphlet. That's what I did. The ladies at the MTN shop apparently did something and said I'd get SMSed. I never got an SMS. So just what the pamplet said.

ph4t3

Expert Member
Yes. Just buy an MTN SIM and follow the steps to port in the pamphlet. That's what I did. The ladies at the MTN shop apparently did something and said I'd get SMSed. I never got an SMS. So just what the pamplet said.
Cool thanks.

My other sim is on a top up contract with Vodascum. Only expires in Jun 2016. They say I have to pay 75% of the total contract if I want to cancel now. :(

cavedog

Honorary Master
Cool thanks.

My other sim is on a top up contract with Vodascum. Only expires in Jun 2016. They say I have to pay 75% of the total contract if I want to cancel now. :(
Yup just a buy a new sim and inside is all the details how to keep your number and port it over to MTN. If you sms to port before 6pm the port will take place same day at +-7pm the day you requested it. If you request a port after 6pm it will take place next day 7pm.

Note that you will no longer be using Vodacom if you do that and thus all airtime and data will be lost of unused on your vodacom sim.

Once you ported over to MTN and your sim is active you can just buy the apn option from Axxess or Afrihost using your number that you ported and you are sorted for cheap prepaid data. :D

ph4t3

Expert Member
Yup just a buy a new sim and inside is all the details how to keep your number and port it over to MTN. If you sms to port before 6pm the port will take place same day at +-7pm the day you requested it. If you request a port after 6pm it will take place next day 7pm.

Note that you will no longer be using Vodacom if you do that and thus all airtime and data will be lost of unused on your vodacom sim.

Once you ported over to MTN and your sim is active you can just buy the apn option from Axxess or Afrihost using your number that you ported and you are sorted for cheap prepaid data. :D
Awesome! Thanks :)

Zinator_RSA

Prepaid Voice

Here I go.

Telkom: Updated
R7.25 = 25MB
R14.50 = 50mb
R29 = 100mb
R39 = 250mb
R69 = 500mb
R99 = 1GB
R139 = 2GB
R199 = 3GB
R299 = 5GB
R499 = 10GB
R899 = 20GB valid for 6 months
R1799 = 50GB valid for 12 months

*It should be noted that Telkom no longer distinguish between roaming on MTN and being on Telkom network. Once bundle for roaming and home network

Axxess and Afrihost Data now works on MTN prepaid simcards. To make use simply order the apn package of your choice
So basically there's no longer "all networks data" on telkom? If you buy data it works regardless of whether you roaming or not?

Last edited:

Zinator_RSA

Please edit your post to cut out the entire quote, it does not need to be rehashed.[/QUOTE]

I'm new man ... hardluck