"best" prepaid cellular provider

Barge

I use MTN prepaid and Axxess.
It seems I jumped the gun. Axxess is working on my prepaid sim. Axxess themselves thought it wasn't working as the package I signed up for was not showing on my account, and they assumed the provisioning had failed. They did however wonder why I'd not received a failure notification. What looks likely now, is that the provisioning, chosen last month for 1 July, only happened this evening, as my half gig is now showing on my account.

Ironically, my Afrihost sim with my 1GB free per month promo, has not expired as it was supposed to yesterday, so I now have 1.5GB to use up between them and Axxess. At least my 500MB rolls over for 3 months by which time I expect my Afrihost promo gigs will have come to an end.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Updated
*Virgin Mobile discontinued their V2V price plan and Replaced it with Virgin Mobile Bonus price plan.
*Cellc now offers free Facebook for contract users via the internet.org app but until August it is free even without the app.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Updated

*Cellc prepaid 66c cheapest price plan in terms of voicecalls
*Cellc rate changes to special non premium numbers like 089,0861,0860,087 and 0800 now charged @ price plan rate
*Vodacom R1.50 default price plan changed it name to Bonus R1.50 price plan
*Cellc prepaid and Virgin Mobile prepaid sims started allowing 3G roaming in some areas. You can test it out if you have poor Cellc coverage.

Data prices and price plans and rates have still all remained the same. Looks like competition and competitiveness has hit a stalemate with Vodacom just renewing it's 79c price plan waiting for any other operators to make a move.....

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
Updated

*MTN Prepaid recharge promotion for new customers

I really hate how complicated MTN is. I want my prepaid to be like my Vodacom is. Give me the lowest rate you can and show me how much everything will cost per mb/sms/minute. It is so complicated keeping up with all the balances on MTN. Big reason, along with the sms spam, that I won't port to them with my main voice line

cavedog

Honorary Master
I really hate how complicated MTN is. I want my prepaid to be like my Vodacom is. Give me the lowest rate you can and show me how much everything will cost per mb/sms/minute. It is so complicated keeping up with all the balances on MTN. Big reason, along with the sms spam, that I won't port to them with my main voice line
Tell me about it. The sms spam you get just after loading airtime is just absurd to be honest.

I agree it can be complicated but it is also the Cheapest network to use. Tons of stuff like voice bundles and stuff like that that can all be bought while still enjoying the 79c per minute rate and the fact that Afrihost and Axxess data work on prepaid and with LTE. It is the best network for value for money and data if you ask me.

With vodacom you 79c forfeits any cheap on net voice options which could see you end off paying more that you would have if you make vodacom to vodacom calls. Data is also only valid for 30days and is pretty expensive.

Also no doubt MTN has the worst support of all the networks. It's not my opinion it is a fact. They just can't get it right.

cavedog

Honorary Master
As previous mentioned Cellc prepaid allows for Vodacom 3G roaming in some areas. They also updated the ussd menu to display which price plan or contract plan you are on.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Updated

*Telkom prepaid internet staterpack bundles can now be bought from existing sims if they are on the 8ta more price plan.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Updated

*Cellc prepaid 66c cheapest price plan in terms of voicecalls
*Cellc rate changes to special non premium numbers like 089,0861,0860,087 and 0800 now charged @ price plan rate
*Vodacom R1.50 default price plan changed it name to Bonus R1.50 price plan
*Cellc prepaid and Virgin Mobile prepaid sims started allowing 3G roaming in some areas. You can test it out if you have poor Cellc coverage.

Data prices and price plans and rates have still all remained the same. Looks like competition and competitiveness has hit a stalemate with Vodacom just renewing it's 79c price plan waiting for any other operators to make a move.....
@Cavedog, link to *Cellc rate changes to special non premium numbers like 089,0861,0860,087 and 0800 now charged @ price plan rate ?? Does this also include the 66c prepaid plan?

cavedog

Honorary Master
@Cavedog, link to *Cellc rate changes to special non premium numbers like 089,0861,0860,087 and 0800 now charged @ price plan rate ?? Does this also include the 66c prepaid plan?
It does. However I have noticed with the new price plans and changes on Cellc that not all tariff plans are charging the lower rate.

Epic and Smartchat packages are charging R2.50 to special numbers.
Data contracts are charging 0.79c excl vat to 0800 and 0.99c excl vat to other special numbers.
99c 4 Real prepaid still charges R2.50 per minute while the 66c per minute price plan is charging it @ price plan rates.

Very confusing and now sure why so inconsistent

reactor_sa

Executive Member
It does. However I have noticed with the new price plans and changes on Cellc that not all tariff plans are charging the lower rate.

Epic and Smartchat packages are charging R2.50 to special numbers.
Data contracts are charging 0.79c excl vat to 0800 and 0.99c excl vat to other special numbers.
99c 4 Real prepaid still charges R2.50 per minute while the 66c per minute price plan is charging it @ price plan rates.

Very confusing and now sure why so inconsistent
Just tested call to 0861 number on the 66c plan. Definitely R2,50 per minute to 0861 numbers. Ridiculous in the year 2015.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Just tested call to 0861 number on the 66c plan. Definitely R2,50 per minute to 0861 numbers. Ridiculous in the year 2015.

Just tested a 0800, 0860 and 0861 number and all 3 I was charged exactly 66c per minute on the 66c price plan.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Just tested a 0800, 0860 and 0861 number and all 3 I was charged exactly 66c per minute on the 66c price plan.
Not possible, I pulled all my call history into a spreadsheet and matched it to my balance.

Also the cellc website states R2,50 per minute to toll free numbers on the 66c plan.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not possible, I pulled all my call history into a spreadsheet and matched it to my balance.

Also the cellc website states R2,50 per minute to toll free numbers on the 66c plan.
Maybe I'm special then but it is like this on the 2 prepaid sims I got on 66c per minute price plan.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I'm on Voda 79c. I had 51mb remaining of a 100mb once off data bundle which was going to expire on 6/09. Last recharge Vodacom sent me a promo sms offering free 50mb extra data if I purchased a 100mb once off bundle on 4/09. I purchased that 100mb bundle and got the 50mb free, but the 51mb remaining from the previous bundle has had its expiry shifted to the same 3/10 as the new bundle. Question is: Are Voda data bundles stackable allowing for increasing the validity by buying a new 30 day bundle when still inside a previous bundles 30day window?