"best" prepaid cellular provider

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm on Voda 79c. I had 51mb remaining of a 100mb once off data bundle which was going to expire on 6/09. Last recharge Vodacom sent me a promo sms offering free 50mb extra data if I purchased a 100mb once off bundle on 4/09. I purchased that 100mb bundle and got the 50mb free, but the 51mb remaining from the previous bundle has had its expiry shifted to the same 3/10 as the new bundle. Question is: Are Voda data bundles stackable allowing for increasing the validity by buying a new 30 day bundle when still inside a previous bundles 30day window?
As far as I know no they do not stack or extend expiry dates like MTN does. It might have just been a bug. I have tried it but when checking the data balance via *111# each data bundle had it's own expiry date

cavedog

Honorary Master
Updated

*Updating soon with the new MTN Prepaid Signature bundles pushing effective call rates per minute to 60c or less.

Barge

Rsaweb are joining the MTN mobile data party with similar pricing to Afrihost and Axxess, though their upfront payment for a year option makes them cheaper. I can't see details of an APN-only option though.

cavedog

Honorary Master
These bundles would put MTN ahead and make them the *Cheapest prepaid option for both voice and data.

Using the bundles below just for voice and afrihost or axxess apn option for data would mean you get the lowest price possible beating most contract rates too.

cavedog

Honorary Master

FlashSA

Executive Member
Bought 100mb data bundle this morning using 100 Vodacom talking points. Now I see in the android Voda app it says it is valid until the end of November and it is lisyed under reoccurring bundles?! Does using talking points auto subscribe one to reoccurring bundles?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Bought 100mb data bundle this morning using 100 Vodacom talking points. Now I see in the android Voda app it says it is valid until the end of November and it is lisyed under reoccurring bundles?! Does using talking points auto subscribe one to reoccurring bundles?
It should not as it was a points redemption and not a bundle purchase with airtime. It might just be listed incorrectly in the app.

FlashSA

Executive Member
It should not as it was a points redemption and not a bundle purchase with airtime. It might just be listed incorrectly in the app.
Capture.JPG No option to cancel this (I imagine there should be if this was a proper recurring bundle) so maybe they just call a talking points bundle recurring to give it until the following month to use up.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Updated

*Vodacom Chat for 30 promotion launched.

Vodacom Chat for 30 is a bundle that you buy for R10 that gives you 30min to use for calls to any network anytime and is valid until midnight day of purchase.... Effective call rate of 33c per minute to Any Network. Now that is SA's lowest prepaid call rate!

Chat for 30 bundle can be purchased via *111*60#

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
Updated

*Vodacom Chat for 30 promotion launched.

Vodacom Chat for 30 is a bundle that you buy for R10 that gives you 30min to use for calls to any network anytime and is valid until midnight day of purchase.... Effective call rate of 33c per minute to Any Network. Now that is SA's lowest prepaid call rate!

Chat for 30 bundle can be purchased via *111*60#
Not available to 79c plan peeps like myself :-/

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not available to 79c plan peeps like myself :-/
Yup. Vodacom always have some tricks up their sleeves. You can't be on prepaid 79c price plan and make use of the promotional minutes and bundles. Sorry. You will need to change to Anytime per second to take advantage of it.

shazm

Hi there

My contract is finally cancelled and I will be on prepaid today :D

Im still on vodacom prepaid, but i now have the option to choose which service provider i want to port to.

What would be best and most recommended to save the most money.

ColinR

Expert Member
Hi there

My contract is finally cancelled and I will be on prepaid today :D

Im still on vodacom prepaid, but i now have the option to choose which service provider i want to port to.

What would be best and most recommended to save the most money.
Depends on your usage habits. I found MTN/Axxess data suits me best.