"best" prepaid cellular provider

cavedog

Honorary Master
So basically there's no longer "all networks data" on telkom? If you buy data it works regardless of whether you roaming or not?
Indeed. Telkom data bundles are now just data bundles that work no matter if you use telkom or roam in MTN. So basically you can say they only sell all networks data now or just say data bundles.

No longer needed to figure out if you have or don't have telkom coverage to pay the cheaper rate which is nice. Bad if you do have Telkom coverage and used the high data bundles which some users found affordable.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Fantastic contribution. Thanks for always aiming to help others!
Thanks. When it comes to adsl and mobile data or voice I make sure I inform as much people I can. I really don't like seeing people pay a premium rate when they can get the same for much much less so I look these things up and if people can save I'm super happy :D

BTW for anyone wondering. Right now the best value for money would be MTN 79c per minute price plan + Afrihost or Axxess data on a MTN Prepaid LTE sim.

Can't beat that value no matter what. As always with mobile operators different area means different network coverage so test your coverage before changing or committing to anything :)

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
BTW for anyone wondering. Right now the best value for money would be MTN 79c per minute price plan + Afrihost or Axxess data on a MTN Prepaid LTE sim.
I have had a good first month with Vodacom 79c per minute but now that Afrihost APN works with MTN prepaid I just can't resist. My 60 day port lock in expires on 26/07 so if the APN on prepaid still works I will be porting across

Zinator_RSA

Indeed. Telkom data bundles are now just data bundles that work no matter if you use telkom or roam in MTN. So basically you can say they only sell all networks data now or just say data bundles.

No longer needed to figure out if you have or don't have telkom coverage to pay the cheaper rate which is nice. Bad if you do have Telkom coverage and used the high data bundles which some users found affordable.
To think I ported from Telkom To MTN in Feb cause of such reasons. I didn't have telkom coverage so I had to Roam, it just felt a bit unfair via the data pricing. You making me think of porting back now.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
So I just signed up for the Afrihost Mobile Two APN package and it says: "Provisioning request is being processed"
How long does it normally take?

Barge

Does one just contact Axxess or Afrihost to register one's prepaid MTN phone number and then change the APN on the phone?
Correct. I logged into the clientzone and signed up from there. You just select the APN option when signing up, and pop in your cell number. Once the APN has been provisioned on the SIM, you setup the APN on your phone and you're good to go.
I've done it. It's awesome.
I tried with my pre-paid MTN sim but Axxess tell me the provisioning failed. They said that a few might work if people use old Afrihost sims, but as soon as Afrihost cancels those, then the provisioning will fail again. Has anyone else had similar failure's with APN provisioning on pre-paid MTN sims?

EDIT: When I tried adding the APN option again and entered my number it said "This number already exists", so I tried adding it to my cart and got the message "Please add you MTN Contract Number". :crying:

I've not tried using Afrihost as I wanted the 3 month data rollover offered by Axxess

EDIT 2: see my later post, Axxess is working. There was a delay in the provisioning.

Last edited:

fruitbat

So I currently pay R300 on cellc and get the 700mins + data + SMS's... and my lovely wife just ported to VC :-( so my CellC-CellC minutes are now a waste of time...

So is there something that is similar to this from the other operators? I see the per second billing is a feature...

Can anyone with confidence say that I can get similar kind of value from another SP? I'd like R300 of calls (say 99c or 79c per min) and some data - perhaps 300-500MB...

I am thiniking i should just stay with CellC @ R300 with the data included and just continue with that...

Any thoughts?

d7e7r7

Executive Member
I signed up for Afrihost Mobile Data yesterday but I can't get it to work on my phone. Does it work with mtn pay as you go?

Nemus

I like my Vodacom prepaid. Data isnt too badly priced (250mb per month as i always have wifi, except on road), Powerhour bundles work great for calls to family (who are all on vodacom). And my signal is usually better than my friends/colleagues on other networks.. Very happy with Vodacom.