"best" prepaid cellular provider

shazm

Depends on your usage habits. I found MTN/Axxess data suits me best.
ok... i was considering MTN, but im a bit worried if they will not decide to pass their fine down onto their pricing plans. I dont know what the real repercussions of the fine and the jse investigation will do to them, if they will remain in business, if they going to increase prices. :-(

Barge

Well that's why you're going prepaid, you can change and port your number if MTN or whoever stops looking rosy.

Mobus

ok... i was considering MTN, but im a bit worried if they will not decide to pass their fine down onto their pricing plans. I dont know what the real repercussions of the fine and the jse investigation will do to them, if they will remain in business, if they going to increase prices. :-(
My advice, stick with Vodacom. They have plenty of prepaid plans that can be fit different types of users (and save alot over contract). Daily free calls + chat for 30 + wifi at home will work for me once my contracts up.

If you use a lot of mobile data, then yes look for some other APN (like axxess). Not sure if there is any that work with vodacom...

cavedog

Honorary Master
MTN Prepaid with a Axxess mobile data combo is still the best value for money.

If you want a bit more then MTN Prepaid with Afrihost 3GB package and Afrihost Plus+ would give you 6.5GB monthly data and simfy access for R244 a month and you pay 79c per minute to any network and buy airtime as you need.

For me that is the best high cap account. If you don't want that package go with MTN and Axxess combo.

shazm

MTN Prepaid with a Axxess mobile data combo is still the best value for money.

If you want a bit more then MTN Prepaid with Afrihost 3GB package and Afrihost Plus+ would give you 6.5GB monthly data and simfy access for R244 a month and you pay 79c per minute to any network and buy airtime as you need.

For me that is the best high cap account. If you don't want that package go with MTN and Axxess combo.
That does seem like brilliant package. I use a lot of data.... i only ever phone my fiance and sometimes my aunt... but my goodness calls to my aunt go on for hours, so i try limit them to once a month.

How many times can you port your number? I have already ported from virgin mobile to vodacom, but that was 6 yrs ago

cavedog

Honorary Master
That does seem like brilliant package. I use a lot of data.... i only ever phone my fiance and sometimes my aunt... but my goodness calls to my aunt go on for hours, so i try limit them to once a month.

How many times can you port your number? I have already ported from virgin mobile to vodacom, but that was 6 yrs ago
You can port every 60days

Once every three months.
It's 60days actually. Exactly to the very second then the port will be approved.

shazm

You can port every 60days

It's 60days actually. Exactly to the very second then the port will be approved.
ok so the story about porting your number twice in its existence or it gets recycled is clearly rubbish.

But im still confused on which network to be on.

FlashSA

Executive Member
ok so the story about porting your number twice in its existence or it gets recycled is clearly rubbish.

But im still confused on which network to be on.
You said you use a lot of mobile data. I would go MTN 79c per minute and add Afrihost APN data.

I went Vodacom because voice is the highest priority for me and they have the best voice network in the country. I only use a 100mb data bundle per month on that line but have WIFI at work, home and a 2GB Afrihost plan in a mifi plugged into a cigarette lighter in my vehicle.

Barge

Axxess APN eratic after wifi

On several frustrating occasions on leaving my WiFi area, have found I have no internet. Pulling up the APN options, I toggle to use MyMTN APN and immediately I have internet, I toggle back to Axxess and internet access stops. Sometimes half an hour later the Axxess APN starts working again, but I cannot find a pattern. Is it particular MTN base stations or what? Anyone else had a similar experience?
Screenshot_2015-12-04-09-03-59.jpg
Screenshot_2015-12-04-09-04-14.jpg
Screenshot_2015-12-04-09-04-25.jpg

Its been a month or so that I seem to have this sporadic no cellular internet access problem, but I only consciously looked at comparing the APN's of Axxess and MTN 5 days ago per the screenshots attached. So it is hard to say if it was the Axxess APN before that was giving trouble. But it could well have been the same issue.

I don't know if it is a security setting/app on my LG G3 phone that under certain conditions is limiting access from non-standard APNs? Though it works most of the time. If no-one else is having this issue, I will also have to see what apps I have running/installed that may be related to cellular internet access. I did install xprivacy. Perhaps certain apps don't have permission to INITITATE a data connection on a non-standard APN, but once another app creates the connection, then the phone has cellular data access for all apps????

Last edited:

Rudi_C

Hi guys, I'm on my last few days of Cell C contract and I'm going to switch to prepaid for the first time ever. Had a cell contract since about the second year of cellular being available in our country.

Now my first question - I looked at Cell C and their Supacharge prepaid, my wife and son is also on Cell C and I think the free included minutes for Cell C to Cell C is ok, not that I'd use anything close to that to phone them, maybe the first few times just to use it. Can someone tell me what the call charges are? They say eg charge R100 and get R100 airtime, but what is the per minute/second call charge on the Supacharge?

Second (long) question - I have always used in the region of about 100 minutes and mostly less than 500mb mobile data. Main reason is I have about 200gb of data at home, I work from home and only do updates of wifi, so I use my mobile data mainly for Whatsapp and whenever I'm bored somewhere and surf a bit. The only time I use more data is when we're on holiday, but then I just buy a data bundel and create a hotspot for our devices.

With that in mind, what would you say is the best deals to look at? I have had enough of paying more for everything as a contract customer than what people are getting on prepaid.

Looking forward o your replies.

ColinR

Expert Member
On several frustrating occasions on leaving my WiFi area, have found I have no internet. Pulling up the APN options, I toggle to use MyMTN APN and immediately I have internet, I toggle back to Axxess and internet access stops. Sometimes half an hour later the Axxess APN starts working again, but I cannot find a pattern. Is it particular MTN base stations or what? Anyone else had a similar experience?

Its been a month or so that I seem to have this sporadic no cellular internet access problem, but I only consciously looked at comparing the APN's of Axxess and MTN 5 days ago per the screenshots attached. So it is hard to say if it was the Axxess APN before that was giving trouble. But it could well have been the same issue.

I don't know if it is a security setting/app on my LG G3 phone that under certain conditions is limiting access from non-standard APNs? Though it works most of the time. If no-one else is having this issue, I will also have to see what apps I have running/installed that may be related to cellular internet access. I did install xprivacy. Perhaps certain apps don't have permission to INITITATE a data connection on a non-standard APN, but once another app creates the connection, then the phone has cellular data access for all apps????
I have the exact issue. Sometimes switching Aeroplane mode on, then off fixes it. Sometimes not. Cannot find a pattern either.

Mobus

Hi guys, I'm on my last few days of Cell C contract and I'm going to switch to prepaid for the first time ever. Had a cell contract since about the second year of cellular being available in our country.

Now my first question - I looked at Cell C and their Supacharge prepaid, my wife and son is also on Cell C and I think the free included minutes for Cell C to Cell C is ok, not that I'd use anything close to that to phone them, maybe the first few times just to use it. Can someone tell me what the call charges are? They say eg charge R100 and get R100 airtime, but what is the per minute/second call charge on the Supacharge?

Second (long) question - I have always used in the region of about 100 minutes and mostly less than 500mb mobile data. Main reason is I have about 200gb of data at home, I work from home and only do updates of wifi, so I use my mobile data mainly for Whatsapp and whenever I'm bored somewhere and surf a bit. The only time I use more data is when we're on holiday, but then I just buy a data bundel and create a hotspot for our devices.

With that in mind, what would you say is the best deals to look at? I have had enough of paying more for everything as a contract customer than what people are getting on prepaid.

Looking forward o your replies.
I think all the networks offer some great prepaid specials and bonuses. Its just up to you to use it. Stick to the network on which most of your friends and family are on and you'll get to save the most.

If you mostly phone your wife and son, stick with CellC, or get them all to port to vodacom with you. I don't know all the cellc prepaid deals that well, but their all-in-one bundles (https://www.cellc.co.za/all-in-one-voucher) looks great which, I think, works with most of their prepaid plans.

Our whole extended family is on vodacom. I think Vodacom prepaid has really come to the table recently, offering great talk bundles (i.e. R7 for 60 vodacom minutes for the day, and R10 for 30 any network minutes for the day). The latter is probably the cheapest any-network deal you can get. Data remains on the pricey side, but I mostly use wifi and prefer the better coverage vodacom offers.

Barge

I have the exact issue. Sometimes switching Aeroplane mode on, then off fixes it. Sometimes not. Cannot find a pattern either.
Since my original post I'm now running stock Marshmallow Rom and no root. Axxess had that one day of issues a couple weeks back where their APN didn't work. I've a feeling that the problem is much better after they sorted that out. Do you still have the issue? You're running Lollipop?

Mobus

View attachment 322169
View attachment 322171
View attachment 322173

I had similar issues using the FNB connect APN on vodacom. Would sporadically loose connection, which I usually only noticed once leaving a wifi area. If I left it on the default vodacom APN, no problem. I used to use the FNB connect APN on my old S3 without problems. Then upgraded to S6 and suddenly this pops up. Maybe a bug in a specific new android version? Perhaps related to APNs that use authentication? (FNB stopped their free 3G data promo, so I no longer have the problem... or the free data...)

Barge

LG G3, Nexus, S6 Sounds a bit like an Android issue... Time to take this to a new thread.

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
You use the cellular facility on your device for voice mostly. When I left Cell C contract for prepaid, I immediately ported to Vodacom.

Your required 100 minutes will cost R79 a month via prepaid 79c plan and Vodacom has the best voice network in my books
That 500mb data will cost you R99 per month for a bundle.

So for R180pm, I would move to Vodacom. I did...

cavedog

Honorary Master
In terms of value for money the top 2 still remains MTN and Cellc

MTN with Afrihost/Axxess data with voice @ 79c per minute and tons of free on net talk time with MTN WoW bonus and booster packages.

Cellc with 66c price plan bundled with the All in One voucher gives you tons on value both off net and on net calls. Bundles would be slightly more than Afrihost but their combo of 66c and all in one voucher might see you saving on calls a bit more on Cellc.

Vodacom ONLY has 79c per minute voice offering with no one net benefits on that plan so you will end off paying more.

Telkom has a decent offer when you combine Sim Sonke with the internet stater pack data bundle that gives you month data for a up front fee. Access to MTN 3G and 2G network is a massive plus but can be a curse too when switching from non roaming to roaming and vice versa as dropped calls are a reality sadly.

Virgin Mobile with their prepaid bonus plan is also a decent option if you choose the voice as your free gift because it could reduce your call rate quiet a bit but then you will be paying for data as they are not as competitive as they should be.