Best TV Box

Scary_Turtle

The nice thing about an android box is you can side load apps that the TV's software can't/wont handle. The JVC/skyworth smart TV's seem to allow a little more functionality then the rest but have a noticeably worse picture to Samsung/Hisense.

Samsung has some weird feature that is like motion blur (can't remember the name) that is set to auto, this gives me a headache and I can only watch with it set off.

Personally I prefer watching Netflix of my 4k Samsung TV, it seems a little crisper then the mi box but everything else I do on the mi box (cyberflix/spotify/mobdro/youtube/tunein). I couldn't live without my mi box.

Dust52

Hi. I highly suggest a Hisense smart TV. The new models comes preloaded with netflix, showmax, dstvnow, browser, app store etc. Its linux based which has been proven to be faster than android interfaces when it gets a bit older.

4 year warranty compared to 2 years on other brands. Locally produced and thus good support, service centre in CPT and factory in Atlantis which means original remotes, TV feet/stand replacements are ezpz. The remote even has a Netflix button at the bottom so the wifey does not have to use the UI etc.

I personally have an older model (43k3110 FHD smart) and i had some issues with my netflix app, downloaded the new firmware from their local website and it was perfect. (they update it quite often too and are looking into OTA or "over the air updates" in the future)
Been following the Hisense TV thread and the rep does seem to be very helpful with the issues people are having. That does put a big positive in my book for them.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Well my master plan hasn't worked out, my dad had a 40" Sinotec that died and he went and bought a replacement, I thought I could get that repaired cheaply and add on a box and save some cash. Repairer says the TV needs a new motherboard and it will cause issues with the display.

So, since I'll have to go out and buy a new TV anyway, I'm looking at a Hisense 43A5600PW or 43A6100UW instead. Don't really want to splash out since it'll be the second TV, but a smart TV it'll have to be. Kinda works out the same as new TV + box. Samsung is an option too, but I don't really want to spend the extra +-R1k if I don't have to.

I'm guessing like most smart TV's the Samsung does Netflix, Showmax with ease, can I also use DStv Now?
43A5600PW & 43A6100UW have a Digital and Analog Tuner DVB-T2/T/C/S2/S.

Good buy for reception options not involving a decoder.

Hemps

Executive Member
I setup Dell i7 via hdmi to Sony amp, installed Kodi, scanned the movie and series and docs library.

Then tested , everything played so smoothly and right away.
Video files all attached to Dell via USB3 and eSata externals.

Only kak part is I need to use mouse on the couch, not ideal at all....still have out figure out the streaming options, directv, netflix, hulu.

Rii Mini i25 Airmouse seems nice?
R485

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I setup Dell i7 via hdmi to Sony amp, installed Kodi, scanned the movie and series and docs library.

Only kak part is I need to use mouse on the couch, not ideal at all....still have out figure out the streaming options, directv, netflix, hulu.
Your Plex issue with it saying not fast enough is a transcoding issue I'm sure of it.

Do you have a Plex Pass also have you tried Infuse, it's basically Kodi for Apple TV in the sense that Infuse uses its own player that supports almost everything.

Infuse can access your Plex library then you can test that.

nazmo

I had way too many issues with my hisense apps. mostly streaming high quality content over LAN.
Also had limitations with lag etc.. on some audio formats. Nvidia shield solved everything.

I just bought my dad the Mi Box, and its really good. much cheaper than the shield. granted its not as ridiculously snappy as the nvidia but its still way better than hisense smart software

Hemps

Executive Member
Your Plex issue with it saying not fast enough is a transcoding issue I'm sure of it.

Do you have a Plex Pass also have you tried Infuse, it's basically Kodi for Apple TV in the sense that Infuse uses its own player that supports almost everything.

Infuse can access your Plex library then you can test that.
I reckon it's the Dual Core PC that can't keep up, tried Infuse 4 and it works but picture is sometimes grainy and blacks are grey, also it takes ages to scan the library and bring it up, though it was getting coverart etc so left it a number of times but just get spinning circle.

R485
It is very nice

Hemps

Executive Member
I just came across Plex Shares, some people "share" their library for you to stream, any one tried this, I saw a sport one as well?

Most give 24/48 hr trials

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I just came across Plex Shares, some people "share" their library for you to stream, any one tried this, I saw a sport one as well?

Most give 24/48 hr trials
Just don't pay for a year or something because those are against Plex ToS and do get shutdown from time to time.

Diesel44

R485
I use a Logitech wireless keyboard for my desktop PC.

Been using this for years, no complaints.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I reckon it's the Dual Core PC that can't keep up, tried Infuse 4 and it works but picture is sometimes grainy and blacks are grey, also it takes ages to scan the library and bring it up, though it was getting coverart etc so left it a number of times but just get spinning circle.
Then the cheapest option for you is to use your laptop with Kodi for local alongside the Apple TV for internet streaming until you decide if you want the Shield or ATV 4K.

Hemps

Executive Member
Plex shares, trialed one and I’m impressed , all the latest shows and movies and quality is good and plays with no hassles.

Hemps

Executive Member
Replaced my aging HTPC desktop with Dell i7-3520M, (Win 7) on 256gb Seagate SSD, 4x 4TB HDD connected via usb3 and single eSata running Plex, Emby and Kodi.
Plan is to get 2 bay usb3/eSata docking station to place 2 drives in.

So far it's more responsive, also plays some files it refused to play before.
I have yet to test x265 though.
For when I feel like using Kodi or streaming via browser it's connected via hdmi cable to my Sony Amp and usb mouse + keyboard for control.

Agent47

Xiaomi Mi Box is a hit and miss affair.

Some people love it others hate it. I am of the latter. eg DStv Now app runs seamlessly on my phone, iPad, laptop and SO's laptop. On the Xiaomi Mi Box, SD looks terrible and HD buffers constantly. I was on a 10 mbps line at time of testing.
If its one of the apps bugging you luckily it comes with a built in Chromecast so cast the DSTV app to that. All the other apps are amazing and UI is easy to understand and master - even finding apps not so popular is great!