Best WIFI setup at home

Wide

Current wifi router packed up. Need a new decent setup. Fibre is currently being built in the area.
House is fairly large +400sqm, and previous setup entailed 2 additional repeaters (with the hassles they come with), so in the market for a brand new system. Want fast and stable coverage throughout the house for smart TV's, laptop, tablets, IP cams, Security system etc
Read a bit online and the new mesh wifi type setup seems to be popular these days, any advise on what would be the best option? Mesh vs traditional?

LandyMan

Executive Member
Don't know much about the Mesh setup, but I've found the only thing working for me (as I don't have network points throughout the house), is to have multiple (currently 3) Apple Airport Expresses in various locations in the house.

Tman*

Expert Member
I have the same size home, also with 2 repeaters.

The best thing I ever did was bin the wifi repeaters I had (that basically receives the original wifi signal and duplicates it), and moved to wired access points(that has built in wifi). It took some time to put the cat5 cable in my roof, but the consistency and speed of the signal is great.

Sandman1

I went with 2 ubiquiti unifi APs, no more dead spots in 2 floor house, and plenty coverage outside.

Also I get constant 1ms ping to the router, basically you don't need to wire your whole home network.

Last edited:

grump_grouch

+1 for the Unifi APs. Will require you to do some initial wiring for each point, but in the long run it is well worth it.

jouda

Expert Member
I also battled with repeaters etc. in my house. The best solution so far is the Airties mesh network that I got up and running. Great product IMHO.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
ASUS AiMesh routers?
What are the cost of those units..

I think they're untested in the market and feck off expensive in comparison to the Unifi OpenMesh and Airties options. They're also ugly as fsck as well.

For reference, I have 3 OpenMesh APs in my house so I have full Wifi reception across my entire house and granny flat as well... all the units are small and hidden in the ceiling.

OCP

Expert Member
I dropped in three UniFi AP-AC-LRs and all wifi hassles are thing of the past.
I needed 4 as my house is old and the walls are thick/dense (just like me!)

No issues + have 2 SSID's:
1 for adults that works 24x7
1 for kids that switches off at 20:00 at night :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Budget?

Fiber/router/internet -> Unifi poe switch -> Unifi APs.

Or

Mikrotik Routerboard -> Mikrotik Caps lites

Or

Tenda 12dBi access point with a Tenda powerline kit if needed.

Or

Tenda APs wired to the main router (like the Unifi setup just cheaper)

Thor

Honorary Master
Still not the best..

That one would be AMONGST the best at that Enterprise grade price range...
We need to define best.

Are you looking at price or capabilities, because capabilities put Ubiquiti at the top.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
We need to define best.

Are you looking at price or capabilities, because capabilities put Ubiquiti at the top.
They do?
I would say that Ubiquiti don't really even feature in the Enterprise space. That is cornered by Cisco, Rukus, Aruba(HPE) and Extreme Networks.