Best WISP for Lakefield, Benoni

Snah85

Hello MyBB community,

I am looking for a WISP that can service the portion of Lakefield, Benoni, that falls South of Sher Road/the Mosque.

I have already contacted and had site survey's done with the following WISPS, but without any success (no LOS):

•SkyFi
•Nepic
•Wiru
•BSIT

Does anyone have any recommendations for any other WISP that may service this area?

Ideally, we are looking for a connection that provides at least 20Mbps with a decent FUP (like 100 GB for every 1Mbps, which seems to be the current metric for WISPS).

I would appreciate any help in this regard.

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
All those WISP's have 1 thing in common, high-sites. And the only reason they use the same high-site (that doesn't offer you LOS), is because that's the highest point available making the most sense for them to cover as much ground as possible.

Having said that (and probably sounding very condescending) I would recommend looking at a different option.

Fibre is rolling out in your area

http://companies.mybroadband.co.za/otel/2016/08/31/lakefield-to-benefit-from-high-speed-low-crime-fibre-internet/

perhaps look at that?

Snah85

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am already aware of the Fibre rollout and I have been in touch with the relevant parties. Sadly, the rollout will only reach our location by about April - June of 2017.

Given that the copper in the area offers a max of 3Mbps, and Telkom's LTE continues on a downward spiral, options are severely limited for proper broadband access.

Right now, Neotel's LTE seems to be the only viable option.

Snah85

Thank you to the Nepic member who reached out to me on MyBB. The two technicians who arrived today were excellent, far better than the two from earlier in the week.

Turns out that we actually get fantastic signal via Nepic.

We are now connected. Nice and fast.

Faux_Grey

Thank you to the Nepic member who reached out to me on MyBB. The two technicians who arrived today were excellent, far better than the two from earlier in the week.

Turns out that we actually get fantastic signal via Nepic.

We are now connected. Nice and fast.
Wish I was as lucky as you.
Good job!

Wolfy

Not sure if you're out of coverage.. But you could always try Daten Schnell. I'm using them at the moment and they're pretty good. If you reach your FUP they throttle you to a 1MB connection, perfect for 480P streaming.

http://datenschnell.co.za/