Beware attacks from possible DMASA no-spam list leak

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And this is precisely why I never registered on their "do not call" list...

They required too much information for a private company in my opinion.

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
We now write our home telkom number down instead of our cell numbers. Let them spam that if they want.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Thought this would happen... I didn't join after I saw they wanted my name, numbers and more personal info... seems skeptical

j4ck455

Executive Member
And this is precisely why I never registered on their "do not call" list...

They required too much information for a private company in my opinion.
Ditto, the ID number field set off alarm bells for me when I considered this last year and decided the risk was too high, a few days later the news broke that the db had been hacked.

abzo

Honorary Master
Wait a second, is this the same as:
If you don't want these calls, please register on https://www.nationaloptout.co.za/

If you think receiving 3 or 4 calls a day is bad, just remember that telemarketers make about 150 to 200 calls a day to people like you. They are people too, just trying to make a living.
Does this really work? Or are we just putting our info out there for even more people?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Exact same..

and since they've had a breach, I will never trust hthem with my personal info.

abzo

Honorary Master
Well thanks to sydwayz, I gave them my details :(

supersunbird

Honorary Master
LOL, it really works to subscribe, no marketing calls anymore and much less marketing SMSs.

Telemarketers already have all the details necesary for doing their thing or one wouldn't be looking for a way to lessen their calls and other communications.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
LOL, it really works to subscribe, no marketing calls anymore and much less marketing SMSs.

Telemarketers already have all the details necesary for doing their thing or one wouldn't be looking for a way to lessen their calls and other communications.
Its the ID Number aspect that unsettles me, I'm not willingly going to give that to a company that has had a data breach just so I can get less spam calls from a select few telemarketers who are members of DMASA

biometrics

Honorary Master
I did sign up but supplied the minimum info. You do need ID and cell or how else do you expect to be removed from their lists. Since I signed up I receive almost no uncollicited calls or smses, maybe one every month or two. So it does work.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Its the ID Number aspect that unsettles me, I'm not willingly going to give that to a company that has had a data breach just so I can get less spam calls from a select few telemarketers who are members of DMASA
OK, so how many Mr Jason Smiths are there, now which one is you?

You'd be surprised how "out there" your ID number is already.

Either way no spam calls for me = me happy. If you dont care about getting them, so be it.

j4ck455

Executive Member
OK, so how many Mr Jason Smiths are there, now which one is you?

You'd be surprised how "out there" your ID number is already.

Either way no spam calls for me = me happy. If you dont care about getting them, so be it.
The point is that spammers do not pick up the phone and dial people's ID numbers, the spammers dial telephone numbers, send SMSes and emails.

A proper opt-out should only involve entering the contact number / email addy used to annoy the crap out of the victim. A proper opt-out should not involve supplying the spammers (or affiliated organisation) with more information than they already have.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I have received a few spam / calls lately, I blast the other end to the letter of the law wrt to compliance and handing me over details of how they obtained my info... They run off pretty fast!

On a similar note, I got my first spam sms this week on my Galaxy Tab ... which only has a data sim, for a "prize" i won ??? How is that possible? The sim number is not known to anyone and hardley ever use the 3G on it??

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I have received a few spam / calls lately, I blast the other end to the letter of the law wrt to compliance and handing me over details of how they obtained my info... They run off pretty fast!

On a similar note, I got my first spam sms this week on my Galaxy Tab ... which only has a data sim, for a "prize" i won ??? How is that possible? The sim number is not known to anyone and hardley ever use the 3G on it??
Welcome to Vodacom selling your info.