Beware El Capitan OS X 10.11.1 Update

polanalyst

Just a word of warning. Be very careful about uploading El Capitan's latest update, OS X 10.11.1. Whilst the main El Capitan install seems tolerable in terms of issues, the update can give all sorts of problems. In my case, it froze my iMac on re-booting and resulted in the iStore doing a tedious over-install of the original El Capitan without the update. There are pages of complaints on the Apple forums about this so just beware. Resist the temptation to update and wait for the next iteration - unless you like risks! This is perhaps the worst Apple update so far and very disappointing - although not everyone has had a bad experience.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't noticed any issue on my end running on two different MBPs. Actually my one is running 10.11.2 beta now also without issues.

polanalyst

As usual, the issues are completely random it seems. And it's not even confined to age-specific macs or imacs either. iStore in Durban confirmed to me some cases of this and I had my own issue here in Cape Town. I wanted to warn since the easiest fix for me was to get the iStore to do a re-install which does not result in any loss of hard-drive data - which was my main concern.

jun_tao

Expert Member
This is true, happened to a friends dad. Also had to do a reinstall.

Luckily he warned be before I did mine.

$m@Rt@$$

Expert Member
I've been running it on 2 machines also without issues. This update has been out for a couple of weeks now.

PostmanPot

Honorary Master
I wanted to warn since the easiest fix for me was to get the iStore to do a re-install which does not result in any loss of hard-drive data...

Very lucky then, lots of people (the few that are having issues with El Capitan upgrades) are losing data.

As always, have your backups (preferable Time Machine) and all will be OK.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
As usual, the issues are completely random it seems. And it's not even confined to age-specific macs or imacs either. iStore in Durban confirmed to me some cases of this and I had my own issue here in Cape Town. I wanted to warn since the easiest fix for me was to get the iStore to do a re-install which does not result in any loss of hard-drive data - which was my main concern.
Next time clone your drive using something like SuperDuper before you update. A time machine backup is ok… well not really since you're still left with having to reinstall the OS and apps etc… but if you clone it you can be back up and running in no time. :)

creeper

Executive Member
Very lucky then, lots of people (the few that are having issues with El Capitan upgrades) are losing data.

As always, have your backups (preferable Time Machine) and all will be OK.

Agree. Backup before upgrading.

surfs-up

Expert Member
I updated to El Capitan (where did Apple find that weird name) about 3 weeks ago. It has been running fine, then about a week ago I have had notices of a 1.3 GB update to E.C. I have tried dozens of times to download the update but it always fails - it starts to download, then stops, and then goes out of download mode, and again offers it for download.
I don't know what is causing this, whatever i do, I cannot download the update...

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I updated to El Capitan (where did Apple find that weird name) about 3 weeks ago. It has been running fine, then about a week ago I have had notices of a 1.3 GB update to E.C. I have tried dozens of times to download the update but it always fails - it starts to download, then stops, and then goes out of download mode, and again offers it for download.
I don't know what is causing this, whatever i do, I cannot download the update...
Like Mavericks and Yosemite, El Capitan is a Californian landmark. :)

bigboy529

Expert Member
Luckally I haven't updated yet and I probably will only do so in a month or 2, my Pro-Tools isn't supported yet.

vinodh

Expert Member

Download the update directly from here. Once it starts copy the link, and paste into a download manager to make sure the download doesn't fail.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Download the update directly from here. Once it starts copy the link, and paste into a download manager to make sure the download doesn't fail.

Thanks vinodh, I am in Mozambique at the moment, so I will try your suggestion when I get back home to S.A