Big Boy bike: Superlight 200

Spice

I'm new to the world of biking and I am looking for my starter bike. One day I saw the Big Boy Superlight parked at the gym and I could have swon it was a harley until close inspection revealed otherwise. Now I'm a fan of the sportster and Honda's V1300 but financially i am not willing to spend so much on something I might not like.

On paper the Big Boy seems adequate, it looks even better and sounds the part. I would like to know however if anyone who's owned these bikes has an experience to share regarding built quality, service and riding. It does not have to be the model specified although that would help. I'm really set on buying but.......

RandomGRK

Expert Member
I'm new to the world of biking and I am looking for my starter bike. One day I saw the Big Boy Superlight parked at the gym and I could have swon it was a harley until close inspection revealed otherwise. Now I'm a fan of the sportster and Honda's V1300 but financially i am not willing to spend so much on something I might not like.

On paper the Big Boy seems adequate, it looks even better and sounds the part. I would like to know however if anyone who's owned these bikes has an experience to share regarding built quality, service and riding. It does not have to be the model specified although that would help. I'm really set on buying but.......

First things first, its not a Harley. It doesn't sound or even feel like a Harley. Please dont be disappointed with riding in general when you climb onto it and the 200cc engine does nothing. As a starter bike maybe its just the thing you need to see if riding is for you but remember, riding a Chinese scooter dressed as a cruiser cannot compare to the real thing.

As for the quality of Big Boy...Ive heard its hit and miss. Some keep going, others start falling apart in a few weeks. Hop onto the Think Bike forum and do a search for Big Boy.

Personally, I would recommend you add a little extra to your budget and get an old second hand Jap cruiser for now. If you decide you like riding, then grab the 1200 Sportster.

http://forum.thinkbike.co.za/showthread.php?57738-250cc-Big-Boy-Voyager

Last edited:

raind33r

Expert Member
New to biking? ..Maybe a 1200 or 1300 to start off on is not such a great idea.
Rather get something light and easy to handle to start with, to grind your teeth on, so to speak ;)
Then upgrade when you are comfortable with riding a bike in traffic.

p.s. Remember to budget for your riding gear too - add another 10 - 15 K on top of your bike price for this.
Do get the best protective gear your budget will allow - skin grafts are expensive.:eek:

nakedpeanut

Expert Member
The cbx 250 twister is also a very good bike. They mostly feature as delivery bikes for longer journeys. really nice looking naked bike