Big monitors and media boxes to replace your TV and DStv decoder

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member

G.A.S

And the cost and effort to get rid if any existing TV licenses...?

I'm not convinced the premium for a monitor makes up for the saving on the TV license, though. Might be different if you are in the market for a monitor in any case.

That said, I prefer my 4K screens small (24")

joshuatree

Expert Member
Dongle derivatives of the SEI400 like the EKO and SmartVu ( or in the US the TiVo Stream 4K ) offered on Takealot are a better buy than the Xiaomi Mi TV Stick/Box S , and Ematic if not going for the Chromecast with Google TV.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
The cost of averting the SABC with these setups are too much.

I just use some friend of family member's SABC TV License and get them lunch on the day for the favour, when buying a new TV.

supportcall

EVERYONE STILL HAS TO PAY TV LIC REGARDLESS, WHY....? BECAUSE....

If you guys actually checked the actual act you notice a line that says...
If you have a radio or any device that CAN RECEIVE radio you need it pay TV LIC.
Last I checked most cars come with a radio by default.
So....
Buying a monitor and TV box etc etc, will not give you a out out of paying TV LIC

Plus, its R200/Yr, really? Just pay it

To the write of the article, the "journalist"
I would like to suggest that when you do a story on something that involves the law, that you actually read the full act with a proper lawyer there to explain as you go.
Yes technically as per the laws on computer monitors you would be excluded from paying but with the headline and info in the story, readers can get into problems with the law based on your story

backstreetboy

Honorary Master

If you have a radio or any device that CAN RECEIVE radio you need it pay TV LIC.
So....
Buying a monitor and TV box etc etc, will not give you a out out of paying TV LIC

I would like to suggest that when you do a story on something that involves the law, that you actually read the full act with a proper lawyer there to explain as you go.
Yes technically as per the laws on computer monitors you would be excluded from paying but with the headline and info in the story, readers can get into problems with the law based on your story
It's actually R265 a year... and for that money you can get Youtube Premium and have much more entertainment than the new SABC will ever provide.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master

So....

'Bout no

mjzar

So....

:unsure:

eg2505

Honorary Master
sure they will soon institute TV license on anything with a screen attached it it,
maybe even try to go after Google for showing SABC weather on Youtube.