Big Windows update could bring an end to Control Panel

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Big Windows update could bring an end to Control Panel

The next major update for Windows could finally flip the kill-switch on Control Panel, a staple of the operating system since its earliest versions.

The much hyped "new Windows" was recently teased by Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella as the "most significant" overhaul of the OS in a decade.

Set to be unveiled on 24 June, it will include design changes and more opportunities for creators and developers via the Windows app store.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I predict everyone will complain to the end of the world and then just get used to it. Like the ribbon interface in Office.

Greglsh

Can anybody help with this, under the old control panel you had the "mail" option if you had Outlook installed. How do you find this in the new settings. We use this if Outlook has a problem starting etc.

CeeBee

Expert Member
i understand they killing off the old 'e' internet explorer also... still plenty government and other company sites that dont play too nicely with Edge or Chrome (probly not MS fault, but still)
but i guess there will be an option in Edge to go 'internet explorer-mode'... will see how that works

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I predict everyone will complain to the end of the world and then just get used to it. Like the ribbon interface in Office.
errr ... you got used to the ribbon interface?

lmao, I stopped using MS Office and moved to other solutions ... not because of that mind you, but still

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
dear MS, while you're removing stuff, remove the nag dialog that tells me my "license" is about to expire

please and thank you

a real pain the rear when it pops up during an online match

rambo919

Honorary Master
Big news, we are killing CP and replacing it with Edge functionality.

system32

Expert Member
Settings has lots of missing functionality and information.
Settings for Dummies.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Can anybody help with this, under the old control panel you had the "mail" option if you had Outlook installed. How do you find this in the new settings. We use this if Outlook has a problem starting etc.
At a guess some of the features may only be available by running the MMC plugin.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member

Dont stress yet, it isn't gone yet ... :X3:

Neo_X

Expert Member
I am sorry but no ->my control panel love will not be ended.

updates will not be happening here