BlackBerry downtime secrets?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I thought it was highly suspicious that they went down just as the Occupy Wall Street Protests were gaining ground! :D

BinaryJack

Spam
Nice bit of writing there...
I like the fact that MBB is becoming a bit more active in the issues with mobile/broadband consumerism.

dabbler

Expert Member
Spense did use the opportunity to dismiss speculation that the growth in BlackBerry traffic may have been part of the reason for the downtime.
Can't be an increase in users ;)
Must be that the BB users have learnt how to abuse the network. :)

tiandup

I thought it was highly suspicious that they went down just as the Occupy Wall Street Protests were gaining ground! :D

I had the same thought. There was also a rumor going around during the outage about another riot in London. So yeah we'll never know... :wtf:

darkknightlives

Anybody had a thought as to this downtime couldve been caused from those riots and now they changed their sysytem to track every user where before they didn't?they are now monitoring every message and post and violating our privacy but are keeping it quiet?

Borrels

Anybody had a thought as to this downtime couldve been caused from those riots and now they changed their sysytem to track every user where before they didn't?they are now monitoring every message and post and violating our privacy but are keeping it quiet?

Do you find it tough to sleep while looking over your shoulder?

genetic

Honorary Master
Nice article MyBB!!! Some investigative journalism. :)

Seems like RIM isn't only "RIMming" the consumers, but network providers as well! :D

killadoob

Honorary Master
When faced with the question of BlackBerry downtime, 8ta said that they have not experienced any service disruptions (since their BlackBerry services launched in April) until the current problems experienced.

Vodacom sidestepped the question and simply stated that they wouldn’t like to start assigning the blame for outages or passing the buck

See vodacom is clever they know the uncapped offering from BB is costing them big money. So many people use BIS it must be hurting their bottom line. The droid and iphone users perhaps make up for it but with wifi on every corner perhaps not.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Actually I like the way RIM keeps a lid on these things and sweep it under the rug. Hopefully in the long run all these intermittent niggles and issues will annoy their customers so much that they can go the way of the Palm.

Then again maybe BB should not die, if you close idiot haven, where will all the idiots go? Its like pigeons pooping in a statue, if you tear it down they'll find another one and that one will be even more pooped upon.

BinaryJack

Spam
Nice article MyBB!!! Some investigative journalism. :)

Seems like RIM isn't only "RIMming" the consumers, but network providers as well! :D

If only they were RIMming before shafting it would have been a lot less painless.

vzta22

Oh please, if it has been RIMs fault all along we would have known about it. Besides, why would some BB users on the same network have access while others don't? Why also would BB users on the same network have BB access while those on a different network don't?

MBB staff, perhaps instead of asking RIM about the number of faults that have been cause by them you should ask RIM whether or not it is against the agreement for MNOs to point out the source of any faulty. In all fairness, not even the MNOs will be able to tell you the total number (%) of faults attributed to them.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
MBB staff, perhaps instead of asking RIM about the number of faults that have been cause by them you should ask RIM whether or not it is against the agreement for MNOs to point out the source of any fault. In all fairness, not even the MNOs will be able to tell you the total number (%) of faults attributed to them.
We did ask, and no feedback ;) From what we have heard the agreements are rather tight.

jmak

Oh please, if it has been RIMs fault all along we would have known about it. Besides, why would some BB users on the same network have access while others don't? Why also would BB users on the same network have BB access while those on a different network don't?

I don't know the details about the RIM crash, but according to the press release only 50-70% of EMEA subscribers were affected. This could mean that different subscribers were registered on different servers and some might have been unaffected while others were. The RIM network is not one machine doing all the work, with one switch serving the world... well, that is my guess

These systems are typically too big to do a black&white comparison.

vzta22

We did ask, and no feedback ;) From what we have heard the agreements are rather tight.
In other words, by signing that kind of agreement MNOs agreed to taking the fall.

Keep up the good work rpm!