Blood Pressure...

132/75 - a bit higher than earlier average of last 2 months 114/71

Need to reduce salt intake - I grazed on some salty chips last 2 weeks and while I worked off the calories, it probably didn't help with BP.

Lesson learnt.
 
Trying to get off my BP meds slowly. Taken half a Candesartan every day last week, and here are my readings. Not great, not terrible:

f9f7da3369a510845044cc40f3b83796.jpg


Still trying to figure out which measurement I should use. One GP said “the lowest reading”, another said the average of three. When I first take a reading, it’s usually higher. I then take a few deep breaths, and take another which is lower, so that’s the one I’ve been using. But surely the first one would be the most accurate because you haven’t done anything yet to alter it?
 
Trying to get off my BP meds slowly. Taken half a Candesartan every day last week, and here are my readings. Not great, not terrible:

f9f7da3369a510845044cc40f3b83796.jpg


Still trying to figure out which measurement I should use. One GP said “the lowest reading”, another said the average of three. When I first take a reading, it’s usually higher. I then take a few deep breaths, and take another which is lower, so that’s the one I’ve been using. But surely the first one would be the most accurate because you haven’t done anything yet to alter it?
Well done. You are consulting 2 GP's at the same time ? :unsure: Or perhaps you are on chatting terms to both of them due to some reason - never mind.
 
So I decided to halve my Candesartan. I’ve had weird symptoms randomly (uneasy feeling in my chest, feeling of dread, disassociation, intense fatigue, palpitations, including ectopic beats) for over a year now, and the only thing that’s changed is I started taking Candesartan.

BP was steady, and actually dropped a bit last week, so decided I’d stop it completely on Monday. Last time I had symptoms was Sunday evening. But then again Monday, Tuesday, and again this morning. Don’t understand what caused the frequency of symptoms to increase like that but did some research and going off anti hypertension meds can cause withdrawal, and out of over 100 people trialled when coming off it only ONE managed to maintain his BP, the rest all went up again when tested a year later.

I started taking NAC (mainly for spike protein removal) and berberine (for SIBO) a couple of weeks ago, which both also lower BP. I’ve taken turmeric for a while, too.

Off the Candesartan my BP is averaging around 127/85. Not great, not terrible. On it SYS was in the 130’s and DIS was in the high 80’s. But, I’d rather not have these **** symptoms happening so often. It robs me of my life.

I’ve recently rejoined the gym after a long time out (sciatica nearly ended me), because I know it’s the best thing possible for my heart, but it’s difficult to keep going when I feel like dogshit.
 
112/73 - still on meds though. 7kg weight loss might have helped and if I achieve 14Kg more weight loss, hopefully that would result in less dosage. Reduced salt intake since last time.
 
Last edited:
So something weird has happened since Sunday: BP reading was 114/82. Thought it was an anomaly, until I took another reading this morning: 116/85. DIA is still too high, but my SYS looks good and I can’t figure out why.
 
Been measuring in evening as well and it is substantially lower than morning for last 4 days. I take pill early in the morning and 2 hours after pill, it is about 112-115 and 72-78 but before sleep, it is dropping to 105-108 and 63-67

Taking half a pill on doctor's advice for a week or so.
 
Another Sunday, another new low: 107/79. No clue what I’m doing differently apart from having started NAC and berberine a couple of weeks ago.
 
Yesterday evening, felt dizzy and thought to check BP. It was 92/65. :eek: I have been throttling on carbs for last 4 days to break weight loss plateau so probably related. Ate something and measured 2 hours later and it was 112/75.
 
132/75 - a bit higher than earlier average of last 2 months 114/71

Need to reduce salt intake - I grazed on some salty chips last 2 weeks and while I worked off the calories, it probably didn't help with BP.

Lesson learnt.
Don't need to reduce salt intake if you increase potassium intake ;)

ps. the latter will also be more healthy for you overall!
 
Don't need to reduce salt intake if you increase potassium intake ;)

ps. the latter will also be more healthy for you overall!
I hear you but I used to be very liberal on salt. Couple of months ago, wife & son used to complain of too much salt whenever I used to make food. Now, I reduced it somewhat and they seem fine now. I am getting used to less salt slowly but do have some moments when I crave for salty chips. :cool:
 
I hear you but I used to be very liberal on salt. Couple of months ago, wife & son used to complain of too much salt whenever I used to make food. Now, I reduced it somewhat and they seem fine now. I am getting used to less salt slowly but do have some moments when I crave for salty chips. :cool:

Yeah same here, I just don’t seem to want it as much anymore. But, do occasionally get a craving for salty chips as well!
 
Have to admit, I love potato wedges with salt on.

The fact that we crave salt, means our bodies need the sodium chloride. It just means we should also increase potassium intake at the same time to balance it out for our health.
 
As with salt, moderation is key:

 
Have to admit, I love potato wedges with salt on.

The fact that we crave salt, means our bodies need the sodium chloride. It just means we should also increase potassium intake at the same time to balance it out for our health.
Possible but I have heard that getting tired, stress and/or lack of sleep can cause us to crave comfort foods.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X