Blood Pressure...

High blood pressure

Last week Wednesday I had my blood pressure checked. Was perfect. Since then I've had a stressfull weekend with about 3 to 4 hours sleep a night for 5 days now and not eating properly.

Today I popped into the doc next door and asked him to check it, its now 130/90 so its shot up. So yeah, high blood pressure in one week :(

He gave me a couple of suggestions to get it down, going for a walk in the evenings, sleep and eating etc so gonna work on it and check it again next week. But yeah, I had no idea blood pressure can shoot up so quickly :eek:

sand_man

Honorary Master
Last week Wednesday I had my blood pressure checked. Was perfect. Since then I've had a stressfull weekend with about 3 to 4 hours sleep a night for 5 days now and not eating properly.

Today I popped into the doc next door and asked him to check it, its now 130/90 so its shot up. So yeah, high blood pressure in one week :(

He gave me a couple of suggestions to get it down, going for a walk in the evenings, sleep and eating etc so gonna work on it and check it again next week. But yeah, I had no idea blood pressure can shoot up so quickly :eek:
Yes it can!!! In fact it can fluctuate by the minute depending on stress, mood, smoking, drinking, diet and exercise.

High blood pressure can be effectively controlled with a pill so don't over burden yourself with it. Rather control your stress and diet...

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
The 130 is not so bad, but the 90 could be better. Keep on checking it out, I'm on medication now to keep it lower. Mine was 170/112, and went down to 150/90. Still on the meds but will check it again soon.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
That's quite high Slootvreter. What you on? Atikand plus?
Yeah it was high, but I think that's because of personal situations at the time, it dropped to 140 or 150 over 90, and I'm on Prexum. Since blood pressure is not something that has any symptoms (in my case), there's no way to tell if the medication is effective other than testing again.

sand_man

Honorary Master
High blood has no symptoms, quite right. Severe nose bleeds and stroke are the only 2 symptoms I know of...

Not known as the silent killer for nothing

Lifestyle plays a massive role in controlling blood pressure but for some unlucky few it's hereditary..

LandyMan

Executive Member
If you are worried that you suffer from high blood pressure (my wife does), get yourself a home blood pressure monitor (wide range available at Dischem for instance). Then you can monitor yourself

thisgeek

Expert Member
Actually, there can be symptoms.

I started experiencing intense headaches and dizziness for about 2 weeks before I went to the doc. Diagnosed hypertension, put me on prexum. The symptoms cleared up in a few days, but then I started having major reactions to the prexum... experienced just about all the side effects. Midnight wakings, dry cough (the worst), nausea, headaches, etc. Read the insert... I had almost all of those damn side effects.

She then put me on prexum plus which has a beta blocker, but the side effects just got worse, so she then put me on a different class of meds called Ziak. Once all the side effects cleared, I noticed there was one thing that kept happening - major palpitations, at random times of the day. This went on for awhile, I didn't notice any particular pattern to the occurrences, so I spoke to the doc about it. She suggested I try lay off caffeine. So I stopped drinking my morning coffee... been trying to avoid caffeine as much as possible.. about the only time I get it is from a glass of pepsi in the evenings.
The palpitations have definitely reduced.. still get them from time to time, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was.

I got myself a home blood pressure monitor from dischem (decent brand). It's not 100% accurate, but it's close enough - compared readings with the doc.

Fwiw, my blood pressure was extremely high - 190/140. With the meds it's now relatively normal. And trust me, if I forget to take that damn lil pill in the morning, I know about it a couple of hours later... I begin to feel /very/ strange... headaches start etc. It's such a problem that I've had to leave work to go home to take my pill.

Obelix

130/90 is not even on the top end of normal yet, although, stressing about your BP is probably gonna push it higher....

Once all the side effects cleared, I noticed there was one thing that kept happening - major palpitations, at random times of the day. This went on for awhile, I didn't notice any particular pattern to the occurrences, so I spoke to the doc about it. She suggested I try lay off caffeine. So I stopped drinking my morning coffee... been trying to avoid caffeine as much as possible.. about the only time I get it is from a glass of pepsi in the evenings.
The palpitations have definitely reduced.. still get them from time to time, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was.
A few years ago I also got what felt like my heart skipping a beat or racing for a second or two. Went and got checked out, turned out to be Atrial Fibrillation from too much cofee. It feels like your hearts gonna jump out your chest or pop out your throat, not nice.

Can also be brought on by high blood pressure but smoking and cofee and major contributers to all sorts of nasties.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Hmmm, I'm on a beta blocker myself. Generate too much adrenaline when mad so helps keep calm. Fine now with job change, less stress :p But doc would rather I remain on my low dose just in case.

On Concor, since everyone is listing their meds.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Which one. Im on 25mg Carloc twice a day and 12.5mg prexum twice a day.....
Concor but only 5mg in the mornings. Just to make sure nothing bad happens at work if I get pissed or fustrated. Better safe than sorry.

My mother told me about a girls husband who she works with. He died recently @ 26, four years younger than me :( But then he wouldn't listen, kept drinking , smoking ignoring meds. Silly. My father will be 80 next year, been on heart and diabetic meds for 40 years, survived a heartattack, two bypass surgeries , strokes and a world war when he was younger. Let no-one tell you that you can't live a happy and good life with the problem. Just live responsibly.