• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

BMW 320i vs 320D: your choice?

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
So it seems the BMW 320D is the popular choice, given that it has more torque and feels more responsive in lower gears (so long as you can handle the diesel clatter). Do you guys agree? Have any of you driven both?

I'm considering getting a pre-owned 3-Series just to finally move into the anonymous Big Boy Club (they're the automotive equivalent of a toaster these days -> but a very nice toaster), maybe even on one of those short-term purchase options where you never own the car but have a guaranteed buy-back at the end of three years (which sounds appealing to me). If anybody has any advice on that element as well, please share!

requiem

Expert Member
So it seems the BMW 320D is the popular choice, given that it has more torque and feels more responsive in lower gears (so long as you can handle the diesel clatter). Do you guys agree? Have any of you driven both?

I'm considering getting a pre-owned 3-Series just to finally move into the anonymous Big Boy Club (they're the automotive equivalent of a toaster these days -> but a very nice toaster), maybe even on one of those short-term purchase options where you never own the car but have a guaranteed buy-back at the end of three years (which sounds appealing to me). If anybody has any advice on that element as well, please share!
I have the 320D (2010 Model)

It is an absolutely amazing car. More than enough power, great fuel economy.

I would not buy a petrol BMW unless I am going for the really big ones (645/M3/etc)

Go drive both. It will make up your mind very quickly.

CPTBoy

Having had my previous Diesel car's DPF pack up, I vowed not get a diesel again.

Bought a 2017 320i and I'm very happy with the purchase. The 2 litre turbo has more than enough grunt and it's got the 3 settings to save you fuel if you drive carefully.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Price and other features disregarded I would have the 320D over the 320i.

But I guess that somewhat depends on exactly how old pre-owned is since the new 320i is quite different from the older ones since they are turbocharged now.

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
320d.

What shape 3er are you looking at bro? As the F30 320i turbopetol is a hell of a lot better than the E90 N/A 320i mill.

LCBXX

Executive Member
The D also has a Turbo.

Why is the 320i the logical choice according to your head?
Yes I am aware it is.

I know of very few people who drive a turbodiesel properly and care for it likewise. I would not want to buy it second-hand, especially a BMW/Audi/Merc for the looming expense with failed turbo's, injectors and dual-mass flywheels. But if you find one that has been taken care of properly...oh boy what a gem with bags of torque and frugal economy.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Having had my previous Diesel car's DPF pack up, I vowed not get a diesel again.

Bought a 2017 320i and I'm very happy with the purchase. The 2 litre turbo has more than enough grunt and it's got the 3 settings to save you fuel if you drive carefully.
You know you can just cut that thing off, its basically a CAT.

CPTBoy

You know you can just cut that thing off, its basically a CAT.
Yeah sure...

Do a bit of research on the newer cars and DPF. Cutting it out takes a remap and sensor bypasses. Try selling that car again down the line to a dealer.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
320d.

What shape 3er are you looking at bro? As the F30 320i turbopetol is a hell of a lot better than the E90 N/A 320i mill.
F30 is the latest one, isn't it? I was hoping for the latest one, but with the prices they go for new even at pre-owned it's gonna be a tough find to get anything semi-reasonable (especially through BMW themselves). My first confirmation of this just came from BMW now, where they offered me either a 2012 328i or a 2016 120d (and they didn't have a 320D - I guess those are in high demand). Ironically the 328i has a value that's R100K less than the 120D, just due to the age thing, but neither of them is cheap. That, and I don't want a 1-Series! Meh, I'm probably gonna be pushed to the independent dealers after all by this.

Yes I am aware it is.

I know of very few people who drive a turbodiesel properly and care for it likewise. I would not want to buy it second-hand, especially a BMW/Audi/Merc for the looming expense with failed turbo's, injectors and dual-mass flywheels. But if you find one that has been taken care of properly...oh boy what a gem with bags of torque and frugal economy.
Well, I'm hoping if I can get a BMW that is only two or three years old, I can get the full BMW maintenance plan with it. That covers against everything (including what you mentioned), right?

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Yup F30 is latest shape. Hit SA late 2012 & the LCI (facelift) hit SA late 2015.

Any 1-Series is horrible for a family man in my book. Rear legroom in particular is shocking.

DMZ

I own the F30 320d
BMW gave me a loaner F31 320i for 3 days when mine was in for repairs

320d is my choice because:

The automatic box works so much better with the torque of the diesel - in the petrol it couldn't make up its mind and any request for more speed sent the box down a few cogs and the revs shoot up with the sound of a thousand buzzing bees. The diesel holds onto gears and the torque gets you moving surprisingly quickly with minimal fuss.

The petrol feels much slower (it is actually quicker on paper) because you have to rev the sh*t out of it to get it moving. The diesel pretty much jumps whenever you need it to.

I prefer the diesel sound, it is noticeably louder and definitely less refined, but also gives a sense of there being some power behind it. The petrol sounded awful, even with foot flat in sport+ mode.

Fuel consumption of the diesel for my enthusiastic town driving is approx 7L/100km, with the petrol I nearly doubled that figure sitting at about 13L/100 after 3 days of my usual driving routes.

Pop into your BMW dealer and drive both back to back, that is the best way to get a feel for each.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The BMW 320D is in my mind similar to the 3.0 V6 Ford engine - Legends in their own time and league.

Stig007

330d if u can afford. Remap it with some rk motion software. Tona of power. Even the 320d, remap and its better on fuel and more powerfull. Let me know If u need remap info