Breedenet Complaint

PaulB_

Hi all.

I am currently staying with people just oustside Montagu (Rural Western Cape) till this lockdown is over, and they have a ridiculously wireless uncapped internet provided by Breedenet.

Not only is the internet extremely slow, it continuously disconnects, then reconnects.

They have a DStv Explora connected, which is used to download series from Catchup, and seeing as there is no Cellphone signal were we are loated (Koo Valley) the wifi connection needs to handle cellphones, there is an iphone here, which uses Voice over WiFi, and not to mention the utter frustration from having WhatsApp calls, and a small WhatsApp video status update literally takes hours to upload, and in the process makes the connection for others in the house near impossible.

As the sole person with IT knowledge, I did some troubleshooting to try to get to the bottom of things, these included changing the Wifi Channel, applying different DNS settings, and checking that there wasn't any device on the network that was consuming large amo
unts of data, I even disconnected the wireless, and connected my laptop directly to the Mikrotik point on the roof via Ethernet, and despite everything the internet was still extremely slow.

Breedenet's product offerings said the slowest "Hero Wireless uncapped internet offering" is the "Hero Uncapped Wireless Bronze 4mb" for R399, and no mention of anything lower, so I assumed the occupants were running that package, and throttling was maybe taking place, as DStv Catchup does tend to use a lot of data, and 4mb for R399 isn't much.

When I was granted permission by the occupants to try to log into to their account to have a look, I got the shock of my life, when I saw the package we were on wasn't 4mb, but a 512kb uncapped bronze package for R299 per month. - So thats why they have been struggling with low speeds, and for a mere R100 more a month they could be having a lot less issues.

My question is how on earth can Breedenet still offer a service with such a pathetic speed, it may not be listed on the website anymore, which may mean that they have stopped offering the service, but what about the loyal customers who still have to endure pathetic speeds. They weren't notified that the speed had been discontinued,it was business as usual. I have lost count of the emails I saw sent to Breedenet because of connectivity issues, and not once was the issue of "You're on a 512kb account" raised, and these people have just been left to struggle. They didn't know anything about the 4mb account for R100 more, till i told them about it, and am trying to convince them to switch over, but these are older people set in their ways, and it will take a lot of effort, but on Breedenet's part It would have saved a lot of time, and hassle if they discontinued this slow speed, and migrated everybody to the 4mb Uncapped Bronze. 512kb Internet in 2020 is nothing more than overpriced glorious dial up.

swakop_toe

@PaulB_, glad you are sorted.
I am in exactly the same situation, except, much further rural than you.
The family Farms in the Eastern Cape, also a wireless/microwave subscription.
This the Gold on at R899/month for a mere 2MB uncapped service.
Yet, most of the time throughout is a piss poor 256kbps.

Who did you approach at Breedenet, now owned by www.herotel.co.za ?

Last edited:

PaulB_

I emailed Herotel Support, and cced it to Breedenet, I have to admit it was a pretty nasty fact pointing message. I sent it at 8:30am, and by 12:30pm the technicians were here, and fixed the issue. Technician said asides from the 512kb being one of the issues, the other being that the baboons in the mountains had obviously moved one of the repeaters, as they it was apparently pointing far from where it should have been pointing.

Method

Executive Member

I'm with BronbergConnect (also owned by Herotel) and have the same issue...I'm not even in a rural area. Pretoria East. Working from home is sometimes so frustrating with the internet that just drops randomly or has packet loss/latency jumps. I've been disconnected from Zoom meetings twice now because of this rubbish service...

Would not recommend any Herotel service if possible,

swakop_toe

So, anybody have ranking contact details you could PM me?

We're being raped here outside Cradock.
CloudKaroo,/BreedeNet owned by Herotel, ex opencast mining truck mechanics mounting and tuning transmitters?! WTaF?!

Senior technicians never reachable as they're constantly out doing tower maintenance instead of manning the support desk.

No escalation possibilities. Literally three contact people, each one covering anothers arse and to scared to say who's the senior person.

We only intermittent Vodacom HSDPA, they came back a month ago, not feasible for any kind of BB connectivity. Satellite is out of the question.

Kids need to be homeschooled, schools here collapsed.

Again, please send me any senior/exec contact details at Herotel/CloudKaroo/Breedenet?

I am willing to make the 1,800km roundtrip to even meet in person.

Last edited:

Bronberg Connect

I'm with BronbergConnect (also owned by Herotel) and have the same issue...I'm not even in a rural area. Pretoria East. Working from home is sometimes so frustrating with the internet that just drops randomly or has packet loss/latency jumps. I've been disconnected from Zoom meetings twice now because of this rubbish service...

Would not recommend any Herotel service if possible,
Good afternoon @Method

Our sincerest apologies for the events that have led to your current experience with us. We can assure you that this is not the service we aim to deliver to our clients.

Kindly provide your contact information linked to your account with us so that our technical team can investigate the problems you have been experiencing and provide feedback.

We look forward to hearing from you

Method

Executive Member
Good afternoon @Method

Our sincerest apologies for the events that have led to your current experience with us. We can assure you that this is not the service we aim to deliver to our clients.

Kindly provide your contact information linked to your account with us so that our technical team can investigate the problems you have been experiencing and provide feedback.

Hi

I've logged numerous tickets with Bronberg. My latest one is Ticket #791145. I've just sent an email saying I haven't had any issues in the last 24 hours, but I'm sure from all my tickets logged it is clear there is an issue.

I will log a ticket again with a traceroute as was requested (although you should be able to see the internet drops)

Method

Executive Member
Good afternoon @Method

I've had so much trouble with Bronberg it's insane...At least once a week there is an issue.

Today it's massive packet loss. Get your schit in order!

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=114
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=114
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=114
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=114
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 5196, Received = 3816, Lost = 1380 (26% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 389ms, Average = 25ms

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Reading this makes me appreciate my 200mbps fibre even more. Also my MTN Fixed LTE at our holiday house.

HartsockZA

I've had so much trouble with Bronberg it's insane...At least once a week there is an issue.

Today it's massive packet loss. Get your schit in order!

Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=114
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=114
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=114
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 5196, Received = 3816, Lost = 1380 (26% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 389ms, Average = 25ms
Still?

Hell this was like the other day. I really wish I could've got you connected OP.

Last edited:

Method

Executive Member
Still?

Hell this was like the other day. I really wish I could've got you connected OP.
Yep, and I complained about it and they escalated it on Friday, have not heard anything since, but it's fine now...No idea what they did to "fix" is, but I have a feeling it's not a permanent fix going on historic data.

I'm looking at trying to convince the rest of the trustees to look for another service provider. I've had it.

DsBalsak

Yep, and I complained about it and they escalated it on Friday, have not heard anything since, but it's fine now...No idea what they did to "fix" is, but I have a feeling it's not a permanent fix going on historic data.

I'm looking at trying to convince the rest of the trustees to look for another service provider. I've had it.
Try and check if u have coverage with Jumbo Technologies, rock solid performance from them the only time i have issues with them is when another company adds more antenna's on the tower and causes frequency conflicts with their stuff,

"D"

That page loaded instantly for me - even though I am hamstrung by Chrome as well as Telkom!