Budget SSD for PC upgrade

Budza

Executive Member
I'm sure many of you get the 'how can I speed up my PC question' from friends/family.

The easy answer, is to add an SSD.

So, for an intermediate user, is 120GB enough? I'd say so, especially if the old drive is relocated to the DVD bay or an external enclosure.

SATA is fine for most of these users- the new NVMe is overkill.

So, what I'm looking for now, is a decent budget SSD I can recommend.

Any ideas?

My starting point is below- any better options out there?

https://www.takealot.com/wd-green-120gb-2-5-sata3-ssd/PLID44974544

Budza

Executive Member
Carbonite. I got 2x secondhand 240GB Intel SSD's for R700 each.
Ja, I'd do that for myself, but I'm not sure the aunts and uncles would go for that.

Good point though- I can offer that to the more technically inclined :)

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Mushkin Reactor got a good review last year at Anandtech. It is a well priced budget SSD with good performance according to them.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
My starting point is below- any better options out there?

https://www.takealot.com/wd-green-120gb-2-5-sata3-ssd/PLID44974544
This is pretty decent. Ever since Kingston's shipments dropped a bit, WD has stepped up as the budget king next to ADATA and Transcend.

The WD Green uses a Silicon Motion 4-channel controller, and TLC NAND flash. It's a basic drive, but it'll accelerate Windows 10 or any other OS really nicely.

I also eyed those on Carbonite. How is Intel SSD's in general, I always wondered why they are seemingly cheaper than all the rest?
Those are usually OEM drives taken out of existing machines to make way for bigger SSDs. At least, that's the case for the Intel ones on Carb. There are also Hynix and LiteOn drives that get bundled into Dell and HP notebooks that get replaced with drives that have better performance.