07_10

Hi Everyone,

I'm in search of a new or used car, but not really sure what to get. I'm looking at around the R150k mark

So far this is my shortlist:
  • Hyundai i20 1.4 Glide/Fluid (facelift)
  • Ford Fiesta Ambiente/Trend (facelift)

Considered: (not driven/unsure)
  • Kia Rio 1.4 TEC (experienced bad service)
  • Honda Jazz 1.3 Trend (i think: old lady's car)
  • VW Polo 1.4 Comfortline (high risk)
  • Opel Corsa Essentia 1.4 (i think: bland)

I've test driven the i20 and must firstly say I'm really impressed with the features and how well spec'd the car is. However I took it on the highway and there was quite a bit a road noise and the plastics on the dash were hard and felt cheap. Overall it did feel lacking in quality. Also the clutch was a bit springy - felt as though they are using a cable clutch? Other than that it's a good little car, and with all the features, it seems good value for money.

The Ford Fiesta felt very refined and easy to drive. The clutch was really smooth and soft. Road noise was minimal - I wouldn't say it was a hactchback. Soft-touch all over the interior which felt quality apart from a plasticky door handle. The seats were quiet comfy as well (compared to the i20) However the Ambiente model was lacking a bit of features (that the i20 has) such as fog lights, colour coated panels, trip computer, height adjustable seats, rear parking sensors etc. Overall its a great car, and I'm leaning towards it. It's just been a struggle to find a good low mileage Trend for a similar price to the i20.

I'm stuck choosing between these two vehicles. Features or quality. What are your opinions on them? I'd also like to hear what fuel consumption these vehicles do? The trip comp on the i20 said 8.6l/100. The fiesta didn't have a trip computer :/

I'm also open to other vehicles in the same segment.

Thanks.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
Try also the Hyundai i10 Grand. Surprised how big it is.
I would also like to recommend the Renault Sandero, but a lot of people don't like Renault, although I am still happy with my old 1999 Megane and my son have the Sandero now for a year.

Debeer165

Expert Member
Between the top two I would vote for the Fiesta, though that is more a personal taste from my side.

The new Sandero (while a Renault...) does offer a lot for the price point to be honest. I myself have had horrible luck with my old gen Sandero in terms of build quality and servicing, but you never know.

mr_norris

Expert Member
When i was looking for a car, I test drove:

- The Kia Rio tec
- i20
- Fiesta (the 1.6 diesel)

Didn't consider the Jazz / Polo / Corsa back then. I don't quite remember why. Offhand, the Honda's seemed rather pricey for what you're getting, and their warranties are rather short. The Polo's back then didn't come with service plans as a standard. Corsa's where just meh.

I drove the Kia first. Was really impressed with the car. The build quality, leather, and all the gizmo's ticked the right box for me. I would say if you were prepared to put up with the crappy service from the dealers, and you have a lot of fight in you, go for it. I've noticed that some dealers are offering services up to 90 000 K's, and they've upped the warranty KM's to 150 000 K's / 5 years. I have a Rio. Second hand tecs seem to be quite a mission to find though, so that may be a problem.

I found the i20 rather bland. It's a nice car though.

The Fiesta I found rather cramped inside, and the interior quality was really meh. Hard touch plastics. Really put me off. The only regret I have is not getting that diesel. The feel of power + fuel economy really floats my boat and the front looks awesome.

As the two above said, look at the Sandero's. They offer a lot for what you pay. I'd seriously consider the new one if I wasn't trapped for a few more years :p

Service

I20 / Fiesta; I would go Fiesta every day and twice on a Sunday. January 2012 I was in the same boat as you are. Drove a few cars including the I20 but in the end I went for Fiesta. The deal Ford put on the table helped as well in my the decision, but I never had any regrets. Fuel consumption wise, lets just say the 1.6 was much more fuel efficient than my previous Polo 1.4. I only had two qualms with the car, plasticy interior more especially the doors (but from 2013 hard plastic dash was improved except on the doors). Secondly, the fuel tank size. Might not be an issue for some but it really bothered me on long trips (Cpt - Jhb). Handling - very good. I have always felt that it becomes quieter at higher speeds.

07_10

The Fiesta I found rather cramped inside, and the interior quality was really meh. Hard touch plastics. Really put me off. The only regret I have is not getting that diesel. The feel of power + fuel economy really floats my boat and the front looks awesome.

I think you may have driven the older model. I've sat in the new one, and the interior is full of soft touch plastics (apart from the door handle). But it does feel a tad less roomy.

07_10

What are your thoughts on the 1.0L Ecoboost? I've seen a 2013 with 27k km on the clock?

07_10

I drove the Kia first. Was really impressed with the car. The build quality, leather, and all the gizmo's ticked the right box for me. I would say if you were prepared to put up with the crappy service from the dealers, and you have a lot of fight in you, go for it. I've noticed that some dealers are offering services up to 90 000 K's, and they've upped the warranty KM's to 150 000 K's / 5 years. I have a Rio. Second hand tecs seem to be quite a mission to find though, so that may be a problem.

Totally agree with this! Piss poor service from them.

pjjdp

Expert Member
Why only this segment?

With a bit of luck, you can probably get a lowish mileage Golf 6 for that price, with balance of maint and service plan. 2010-2012 models.
Then there is the i30, Ford Focus and Kia Rio, to name a few.

MIA7171

Hi Everyone,

I'm in search of a new or used car, but not really sure what to get. I'm looking at around the R150k mark

So far this is my shortlist:
  • Hyundai i20 1.4 Glide/Fluid (facelift)
  • Ford Fiesta Ambiente/Trend (facelift)

Considered: (not driven/unsure)
  • Kia Rio 1.4 TEC (experienced bad service)
  • Honda Jazz 1.3 Trend (i think: old lady's car)
  • VW Polo 1.4 Comfortline (high risk)
  • Opel Corsa Essentia 1.4 (i think: bland)

I've test driven the i20 and must firstly say I'm really impressed with the features and how well spec'd the car is. However I took it on the highway and there was quite a bit a road noise and the plastics on the dash were hard and felt cheap. Overall it did feel lacking in quality. Also the clutch was a bit springy - felt as though they are using a cable clutch? Other than that it's a good little car, and with all the features, it seems good value for money.

The Ford Fiesta felt very refined and easy to drive. The clutch was really smooth and soft. Road noise was minimal - I wouldn't say it was a hactchback. Soft-touch all over the interior which felt quality apart from a plasticky door handle. The seats were quiet comfy as well (compared to the i20) However the Ambiente model was lacking a bit of features (that the i20 has) such as fog lights, colour coated panels, trip computer, height adjustable seats, rear parking sensors etc. Overall its a great car, and I'm leaning towards it. It's just been a struggle to find a good low mileage Trend for a similar price to the i20.

I'm stuck choosing between these two vehicles. Features or quality. What are your opinions on them? I'd also like to hear what fuel consumption these vehicles do? The trip comp on the i20 said 8.6l/100. The fiesta didn't have a trip computer :/

I'm also open to other vehicles in the same segment.

Thanks.

If you 're going to get new, I would suggest the Hyundai i10 Grand or Renault Sandero.
For 2014 used cars personally I prefer the Kia Rio or Renault Clio but they are bit pricey.
For used both Hyundai i20 and Ford Fiesta are very good.

The i20 is cheap to run & buy and is well equipped. Spacious interior, great value for money and a comfortable ride. However, it is less fun than its rivals and then there's a noise intrusion. Fuel consumption is around 7.0l/100.

The fiesta is sporty and and economical. It is very fun to drive. Downside cheaper models lacks some features and rear room is quite cramped.
Fuel consumption is around 7.68l/100.

Honda Jazz is a bullet proof car but it is aging and looks like a moms car.
VW Polo is everyone's favourite car, it is a German brand and has a badge Volkswagen.

MIA7171

Why only this segment?

With a bit of luck, you can probably get a lowish mileage Golf 6 for that price, with balance of maint and service plan. 2010-2012 models.
I think he wants a 2014 model new, demo or used with extremely low mileage under R 150 000. You can even buy Golf GTi or BMW but then you would have to sacrifice for older models with high mileage and worry about reliability, things start to fall part, pay extra for extra repairs.

phoenix99

Expert Member
I own a 2014 1 litre ecoboost titanium fiesta and i adore it. The car is nippy and fun and there is always enough power or torque to get the job done.

On 2500km mileage and i average between 5.5 and 6l/100km. My guess is it will only get better once the car is run in.

I reccomend the fiesta both for the build quality(much better than hyundai or kia) and for the smile that tiny 3 cylinder engine puts on my face.

mr_norris

Expert Member
...so you bought a Rio. Great reasoning.

Yes and thank you. It seems to me like you haven't had a proper look inside a Rio - or at least the Tec?

If you weren't in Cape Town, I'd show you mind. Soft touch dash, soft touch doors, with only a bit of hard plastics here and there. Then of course leather on the steering wheel, gear leaver, seats and centre console. It's quite plush :p

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
Yes and thank you. It seems to me like you haven't had a proper look inside a Rio - or at least the Tec?

If you weren't in Cape Town, I'd show you mind. Soft touch dash, soft touch doors, with only a bit of hard plastics here and there. Then of course leather on the steering wheel, gear leaver, seats and centre console. It's quite plush :p

I've driven in one a few times already (colleague's car) and I owned an i20. To me they have equal amounts of cheap plastic inside, like most cars in this class. Button presses and control gear in the Fiesta feels much better and upmarket.

07_10

If you 're going to get new, I would suggest the Hyundai i10 Grand or Renault Sandero.
For 2014 used cars personally I prefer the Kia Rio or Renault Clio but they are bit pricey.
For used both Hyundai i20 and Ford Fiesta are very good.

I've had a look at the Sandero Stepway, and must say it is quiet alot of car for the price. But it is very unassuming and anonymous. Also I'm not too sure about that 0.9L Turbocharged engine - will need to sit in one first.

Honda Jazz is a bullet proof car but it is aging and looks like a moms car.
VW Polo is everyone's favourite car, it is a German brand and has a badge Volkswagen.

I agree with you that the Jazz is a bombproof car. Very reliable, but lackluster looks. Perfect for mom, not me.

I'm not sure what the rave is about for the Polo. Yes it does look quality, and feels quality, but it doesn't justify itself for its massive price tag. I've driven the old shape 1.4 Polo, and lets just say, you have to think twice about using the A/C when climbing a hill. Also it's number 1 on the most hijacked vehicles list. Not a car for me, to be honest.

07_10

Why only this segment?

I think he wants a 2014 model new, demo or used with extremely low mileage under R 150 000. You can even buy Golf GTi or BMW but then you would have to sacrifice for older models with high mileage and worry about reliability, things start to fall part, pay extra for extra repairs.

Yes exactly this!

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Fold down the Jazz's seats and check all the room. Amazing. You can take a bicycles front wheel off and fit it in lengthwise easily. Could probably do 3 bicycles next to one another (with middle one swopped around).

Old_Liver

I bought an i20 Fluid Facelift about 2 months ago, it is a much nicer car than I originally thought it out to be, and the features are impressive.

Fuel Consumption is 6l/100km on highway driving, 6.5l/100km mixed, 7l/100km extra-urban.