Calix GigaCenter ONT / Router

Amine

Hello Everyone
I just want to know if anyone here experienced or know about the ONT / Router called Calix GigaCenter 844G-2 that MetroFiber supplies to their customers ?

stefanl33t

Hi,
Looks like it's the same one SADV supplies. Well at least the one I got from them.

Amine

Hi,
Looks like it's the same one SADV supplies. Well at least the one I got from them.
most probably the same one because it's 2 in 1 (ONT and Router) so it's cheaper for the ISP to get this "chinese around the corner" made devices to supply the victim

how is it operating by you what are you using to cover the whole house wifi ?

stefanl33t

Signed up with Vox as ISP, so got a Mikrotik as well. As far as SADV told me, you can't run the Calix as an ONT and Router in SA. Not sure what the truth in that is, but not really bothered as the Mikrotik RouterBoard was included with Vox.

I stay in a smallish 2 bedroom place so coverage is fine for me.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I have one.

Seems ok but WiFi wasn't great. I'm using AirTies mesh to take care of the WiFi though

EADC

Expert Member
Signed up with Vox as ISP, so got a Mikrotik as well. As far as SADV told me, you can't run the Calix as an ONT and Router in SA. Not sure what the truth in that is, but not really bothered as the Mikrotik RouterBoard was included with Vox.

Nah not true I am on Metrofibre and the Calix is my ONT and WiFi router but I use Metrofibre as my ISP.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
most probably the same one because it's 2 in 1 (ONT and Router) so it's cheaper for the ISP to get this "chinese around the corner" made devices to supply the victim

how is it operating by you what are you using to cover the whole house wifi ?
Chinese? Are you implying all things made in China are poor quality or Calix is poor quality? I think both those statements are wrong.

Amine

Also not sure Calix is regarded as cheap though lol, pretty big brand in the States
I don’t think it’s big it’s actually teeny tiny, there isn’t one video review from any user about their products and not even a proper testing review from a big forums and blogs

Amine

Nah not true I am on Metrofibre and the Calix is my ONT and WiFi router but I use Metrofibre as my ISP.
That’s why I’m asking because im in same situation
The MFN as an ISP is very expensive compare to others and also the ONT that they supply you can’t get your own Router and get rid of it
Im thinking of switching to another ISP

Amine

Chinese? Are you implying all things made in China are poor quality or Calix is poor quality? I think both those statements are wrong.
Not everything made in china is poor quality but yeah most of the stuff are because the customer wants the lowest costing so he can make more profits
Yes Calix products are like TaTa cars they take you from home to work and bring you back but they are not a good quality or up to standards
Poor QoS and Firewall, primitive design and interface.. Made by enthusiasts not experts

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Yes Calix products are like TaTa cars they take you from home to work and bring you back but they are not a good quality or up to standards
https://www.calix.com/solutions/technologies/mef-carrier-ethernet.html

IEEE, MEF, ITU, RFC, what standard/s are you talking about? In what way don't Calix meet or exceed your stated standards? Why do you say they have poor quality?

Such a statement is like saying Huawei is Chinese so they aren't good quality. Or Huawei is spying as they are Chinese, but have no proof or conviction showing such acts.

Amine

I have one.

Seems ok but WiFi wasn't great. I'm using AirTies mesh to take care of the WiFi though
Im also looking to get a Mesh wifi system and i have my attention on Asus Lyra

Amine

https://www.calix.com/solutions/technologies/mef-carrier-ethernet.html

IEEE, MEF, ITU, RFC, what standard/s are you talking about? In what way don't Calix meet or exceed your stated standards? Why do you say they have poor quality?

Such a statement is like saying Huawei is Chinese so they aren't good quality. Or Huawei is spying as they are Chinese, but have no proof or conviction showing such acts.
Yes also TaTa has axels and 4 wheels, steering system, transmission box.. but does TATA stands to Audi, BMW or Marcides
The features you have mentioned even some other cheap router off the shelves they have them

Don’t get me wrong and become defensive, im not saying is bad, NO all im saying is not great specially for me while still using TP-LINK, Netgear and UbiQuiti that device feels seems looks so cheap in every level... yes im connected, MU-MIMO and beamforming.. still not fully satisfied

pinball wizard

Honorary Master

We use a Calix device as an ONT. If you use us (SADV) as your ISP we supply a bigger Calix device that serves as ONT and router. If you use another ISP, you get a simple Calix ONT with no WiFi enabled and your ISP send you a router for WiFi and stuff.

I forget the exact Calix model numbers, I have the devices in my car, but I'm not going to the garage to look.

It would appear the OP is on MFN though, so I can't speak for them.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I don’t think it’s big it’s actually teeny tiny, there isn’t one video review from any user about their products and not even a proper testing review from a big forums and blogs
Yeah, cause youtube videos are a true measure of a company.

Calix supplies customers like Infosys and Ericsson, as well as holding 48% of the PON FTTX market in the US alone.

EADC

Expert Member
We use a Calix device as an ONT. If you use us (SADV) as your ISP we supply a bigger Calix device that serves as ONT and router. If you use another ISP, you get a simple Calix ONT with no WiFi enabled and your ISP send you a router for WiFi and stuff.

I forget the exact Calix model numbers, I have the devices in my car, but I'm not going to the garage to look.

It would appear the OP is on MFN though, so I can't speak for them.
Does the bigger one have better WiFi than the smaller one, I'm on MFN and they smaller one.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Yes also TaTa has axels and 4 wheels, steering system, transmission box.. but does TATA stands to Audi, BMW or Marcides
The features you have mentioned even some other cheap router off the shelves they have them

Don’t get me wrong and become defensive, im not saying is bad, NO all im saying is not great specially for me while still using TP-LINK, Netgear and UbiQuiti that device feels seems looks so cheap in every level... yes im connected, MU-MIMO and beamforming.. still not fully satisfied
Your analogy with Tata is wrong as a vehicle's subsystems (4 wheels, axels, steering system etc as you stated) are functional requirements of a car. A Tata vehicle without a steering system probably wouldn't be a functioning car to begin with.

Let me use your own analogy for you. What Tata's standards would be (you did say Calix has poor standards) is a standard like NCAP, ISOFIX etc.

You seem not to be aware that Calix is enterprise/operator equipment. It isn't designed for a consumer or 'prosumer' user. You want a BMW/Merc and think Calix is a Tata, though you aren't paying for this Tata.

Calix is actually like an Uber vehicle (eg. Toyota Corolla) in being an operator owned device which just delivers a service cost effectively for the network operator and ISP. It doesn't mean that Toyota are poor quality or don't adhere to any standard, it just means the features and quality are defined around that business case.

This doesn't stop you from buying your BMW (TPlink and Netgear) but it is foolish of you to think that TPlink and Netgear are superior brands to Calix. Calix make products for clients/applications that Netgear or TPlink doesn't, with real enterprise standards like MEF2.0 with enterprise standards like Y.1731, RFC2544 etc. Using your car analogy, these enterprise products are like luxury buses that have features, quality of service and scale which BMW (TPlink/Netgear) doesn't even offer.

In none of my posts was I defensive, I was just showing you that you are wrong in your statements of quality and standards and don't understand the way in which the industry works.

Though I do agree with you, Netgear, TPlink and Ubiquity make products Calix might not and fit your above average consumer needs better than the entry level cost effective ONT+router that you probably didn't even pay for (own).

If you know what you're doing, you can get a Mikrotik for routing and switching and then a dedicated AP like Ruckus or Ubiquity for wireless. Though most consumers wouldn't know how to set this up, then a nice GUI based device might be better suited...

Amine

Yeah, cause youtube videos are a true measure of a company.

Calix supplies customers like Infosys and Ericsson, as well as holding 48% of the PON FTTX market in the US alone.
Very lame sarcasme
youtube videos of consumers reviewing and testing the products is the other face of the company.
based on statistics did you get the number 48% ??