Cancelling voice line

thechamp

Honorary Master
View attachment 845705

Can somone explain to me what the bottom two things are? I only have a voice and LTE internet contract
TIN is Telkom internet, usually associated with their ADSL packages. Didn't you previously have ADSL which was migrated to LTE when they threatened to cut copper earlier? The bottom one is a ref similar to the TIN one the difference is that it is linked to a wireless internet service.

"D"

I cancelled the line only to have been sent a confused SMS saying that I should reapply for service cancellation.

Dear Valued Customer,please note youre cancellation request isnt clear and does not include all services that need to be cancelled. You have an active broadband 0317763136-1. Kindly resubmit your cancellation request online, Kindly follow Online Cancellation Process: Go to Telkom Profile, Select Services, Upload and resubmit. Kind Regards, TelkomSA
What has happened since then? Please indulge us!

Razer0

Expert Member
What has happened since then? Please indulge us!
No progress. Given the comments above I am disinclined to think it can be done. Maybe I'll pop into a local Telkom shop and attempt my R200 saving that way

TeMoeg

I have been using for a quite a number of years:
- A 2Mb/s ADSL line from Telkom,
- Voice Service from Telkom, which we never used,
- Fat Pipe data account from Vox.

I logged on to the telkom.co.za website, and tried to cancel my Voice service only, as described in post #10. At first it seemed successful, but later I also received a SMS, stating that I must resubmit my cancellation. I later received a call from Telkom Sales Department, and was informed that I have to first cancel both ADSL line and Voice service, or none at all. To get the naked ADSL, I then have to apply from Telkom, or any ISP of my choice.

I emailed Vox, and was phoned back, confirming that I have to request Telkom to cancel both ADSL line and Voice service by the 15th of June, where-after Vox will arrange for my naked ADSL line to be connected. Apparently, although the same copper line is used, there is also some hardware that needs to be swapped, and it is not merely a software switch.

This time the Telkom cancellations were successful, and I am now just waiting for the 15th of June when the change-over will happen.

I decided to move my line rental to Vox, even though it is slightly more expensive than Telkom. Main reasons are:
- I had no problems in the past with Vox.
- I find it very difficult to communicate with the Telkom call centre, and cannot easily make out what they are trying to say. Maybe my hearing is going for a loop!!

"D"

I appreciate this info, @TeMoeg ... please keep us updated even if you feel a bit worn down by Telkom. ;)

By the way, what do you mean by Vox being "slightly" more expensive than Telkom? They are way more expensive!

If you sign up for a 4Mbps Pure xDSL / Naked xDSL service, there is a R1647 price difference over two years, in addition to the cost (as well as delivery cost) of a router.

My calcs:

Save R819 total in the first six months. ( 6 x [R375 - R199] )
Then save R46 per month thereafter. (R375 - R329)
That's a saving of R1647 total over 2 years, plus you get a free router in addition to that.
There are similar savings available on the other Telkom xDSL packages (10Mbps, 20Mbps, 40Mbps) currently on offer.

Conclusion: Telkom has the upper hand on offerings involving their own legacy infrastructure, unfortunately...

Last edited:

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
This is what happened to me:

• Cancelled my line on Telkom Portal
  • Immediately received an email that my request to cancel has been received.
  • Got what I thought was my final bill via email at the end of that month.
  • Received another bill at the end of the next month.
  • Called them and was told that the cancellation did not happen and I am liable for the extra month, but it will be my final bill.
  • Paid that bill.
  • Received another bill at the end of that month.
  • Called them and politely asked WTF ??
  • Was told that it will be escalated and that they owe me R700 from my original deposit so will offset etc.
  • Received another bill at the end of that month.
  • Stopped paying them and stopped calling.
  • Telkom handed me over and scumbag lawyer firm started calling. Told them the story and sent them all emails between myself and Telkom. Told them that was the first and the last call from them I am answering.
  • Was informed by this firm a month later that Telkom instructed them to close the case.
  • Started receiving sms' and calls from a new lawyer firm. Told them I owe nothing and to fuk off.
  • Recently it seems that I was handed over to yet another lawyer firm..these PMP sharks that use autodialers to call you at all hours.
  • Systematically blocking them on each new number they call from.
  • This has been going on since May 2019.
In a nutshell: Good luck cancelling Telkom. Many other stories like this, even a whole thread, here on MyBB.

TeMoeg

I appreciate this info, @TeMoeg ... please keep us updated even if you feel a bit worn down by Telkom. ;)
By the way, what do you mean by Vox being slightly more expensive than Telkom?
If you sign up for a 4Mbps Pure xDSL / Naked xDSL service, there is a R1647 price difference over two years, in addition to the cost (as well as delivery cost) of a router.

My calcs:

Save R819 total in the first six months. ( 6 x [R375 - R199] )
Then save R46 per month thereafter. (R375 - R329)
That's a saving of R1647 total over two years, plus you get a free router in addition to that.
There are similar savings available on the other Telkom xDSL packages (10Mbps, 20Mbps, 40Mbps) currently on offer.
Telkom has the upper hand on offerings involving their own legacy infrastructure, unfortunately...
I don't have any personal experience with Telkom data accounts, however some of my family members had some bad experiences. Also, Telkom screwed me out of R210 /month for all these years, for a service which I never used, and never wanted to begin with. Now that I have a choice, this investment of R46 /month will give me peace of mind, to keep my business from them.

"D"

Now that I have a choice, this investment of R46 /month will give me peace of mind, to keep my business from them.
I understand the dilemma with Telkom but the saving isn't R46/month, is it? (From a purely financial perspective, I want to know whether there are indeed substantial savings, or not.)

R1647 divided by 24 months is a saving of R68 per month.
R1647 plus (let's say) R750 for a new sealed router is a saving of R100 per month over 24 months. (Telkom includes a router, Vox does not.)

Are my calcs incorrect or correct?

TeMoeg

I understand the dilemma with Telkom but the saving isn't R46/month, is it? (From a purely financial perspective, I want to know whether there are indeed substantial savings, or not.)

R1647 divided by 24 months is a saving of R68 per month.
R1647 plus (let's say) R750 for a new sealed router is a saving of R100 per month over 24 months. (Telkom includes a router, Vox does not.)

Are my calcs incorrect or correct?
Theoretically you are correct, although there will be strings attached with Telkom (24 Months contract). I have my own routers, and thus do not need those of Telkom.

I see the extra monthly fee as a good investment, and is my contribution to bring competition to the table.

TeMoeg

Progress report on my voice line cancellation:

- I was told by Vox to first cancel both Telkom Internet Line, and Voice Service, whereafter Vox would apply at Telkom for the Internet line only. Apparently there is also some small hardware change to take place, and is not just a software switch.
- I cancelled with Telkom at their online portal at the beginning of June with a 30 day notice. I received a few SMS's stating that the cancellation will be successful.
- My Internet and phone line was cut off last night by Telkom. I notified Vox, who applied for the naked ADSL service at Telkom. I was only now told by Vox that the ADSL service could take up to TWO weeks to restore (Maybe this is Telkom's way to discourage competition).
- I am using mobile data in the meantime, using USB tethering from my phone to my desktop.
- I expect one more Telkom invoice next month, since they are always one month behind.

I will report back on the progress after completion of the process.