Capitec Electricity Purchases (App / Internet)

dhlotter

Hi Guys, first time poster :)

I have been toying with the idea of moving all my banking to Capitec for a while now. Their latest introduction of electricity purchases in the app and online might finally push me over the wall. However, I cannot seem to add my meter number as a beneficiary. I live in Seapoint and get electricity from City of Cape Town.

I do not want to use USSD to buy electricity, the idea is to on the first of every month have a scheduled prepaid electricity purchase go through with the token sent to my phone, much like my prepaid airtime on their platform.

Has anyone with CoCT electricity managed to get this working. Do we know if there is a list of supported service providers/municipalities?

Thanks.

Corvus

The electricity purchases are prepaid purchases. Hence why there is no meter number option, that much I am aware of.

Setting up the future dated debits though I'm not sure.
Contact Capitec and ask for assistance/information.
T 0860 10 20 43
E ClientCare@capitecbank.co.za

Thor

Honorary Master
Hi Guys, first time poster :)

I have been toying with the idea of moving all my banking to Capitec for a while now. Their latest introduction of electricity purchases in the app and online might finally push me over the wall. However, I cannot seem to add my meter number as a beneficiary. I live in Seapoint and get electricity from City of Cape Town.

I do not want to use USSD to buy electricity, the idea is to on the first of every month have a scheduled prepaid electricity purchase go through with the token sent to my phone, much like my prepaid airtime on their platform.

Has anyone with CoCT electricity managed to get this working. Do we know if there is a list of supported service providers/municipalities?

Thanks.
You cannot do electricity debit orders that is all manual

dhlotter

Maybe I didn't explain well.

I am on prepaid electricity at home. I can buy prepaid electricity from FNB, but cannot load my meter/prepaid number to Capitec. City of Cape Town provides my power. Has anyone with a prepaid meter, getting electricity supplied by City of Cape Town, successfully added it to their Capitec profile?

Once added to Capitec as a beneficiary, you can schedule future payments. This is what I want.

Thor

Honorary Master
Maybe I didn't explain well.

I am on prepaid electricity at home. I can buy prepaid electricity from FNB, but cannot load my meter/prepaid number to Capitec. City of Cape Town provides my power. Has anyone with a prepaid meter, getting electricity supplied by City of Cape Town, successfully added it to their Capitec profile?

Once added to Capitec as a beneficiary, you can schedule future payments. This is what I want.
You can't add electricity as a scheduled/future dated or recurring payment. As it's not a beneficiary.

dhlotter

thanks, can we focus on the only sentence in my post with a question mark. has anyone with coct electricity successfully added it as a beneficiary to capitec.

Corvus

http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/rev/Pages/Payment-channels.aspx

Electronic Funds Transfer

As a City of Cape Town customer, you must register with your bank for internet banking. To register, visit your bank’s website:

www.absa.co.za
www.standardbank.co.za
www.fnb.co.za
www.nedbank.co.za
www.capitecbank.co.za

The City is listed as one of the bank’s beneficiaries and therefore you do not require its bank details. You will find the City listed as a beneficiary under the bank’s Listed Beneficiaries - type in City of Cape Town Municipality and the details will pop up.

In the reference field, enter your municipal, nine-digit, account number as a reference. Only this number must be entered, with no spaces between the digits. The bank’s system will not accept any other number as a reference. Thereafter, you can enter the amount you would like to pay.

Corvus

Right at the bottom of that website link I sent above there's the following:

"Purchasing prepaid electricity tokens

To purchase prepaid electricity tokens, visit the electricity website"

It has a link which if I click on requests log in details that I don't have.

Corvus

thanks, can we focus on the only sentence in my post with a question mark. has anyone with coct electricity successfully added it as a beneficiary to capitec.
http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/rev/Pages/Payment-channels.aspx

Electronic Funds Transfer

As a City of Cape Town customer, you must register with your bank for internet banking. To register, visit your bank’s website:

www.absa.co.za
www.standardbank.co.za
www.fnb.co.za
www.nedbank.co.za
www.capitecbank.co.za

The City is listed as one of the bank’s beneficiaries and therefore you do not require its bank details. You will find the City listed as a beneficiary under the bank’s Listed Beneficiaries - type in City of Cape Town Municipality and the details will pop up.

In the reference field, enter your municipal, nine-digit, account number as a reference. Only this number must be entered, with no spaces between the digits. The bank’s system will not accept any other number as a reference. Thereafter, you can enter the amount you would like to pay.
Hope this helps answer your question specifically regarding how to load it as a beneficiary.

Thor

Honorary Master
It's not a beneficiary.

Thats the clue.

Go to prepaid, select electricity, enter meter number.

dhlotter

Right at the bottom of that website link I sent above there's the following:

"Purchasing prepaid electricity tokens

To purchase prepaid electricity tokens, visit the electricity website"

It has a link which if I click on requests log in details that I don't have.
thanks boss. i will phone coct in the morning to see whats going on and where the link is suppose to take us. will report back if i get more information.

Last edited:

Corvus

thanks boss. i will phone coct in the morning to see whats going on and where the link is suppose to take us. will report back if i get more information.
Sweetaz b.
Us Vaalies know a thing it two

Corvus

Getting it to load up to run a monthly stop order and get the token via sms though. Not sure how that setup will work.

So let us know about that if you get it work so others can get the info.