Cell C data price increases

MickeyD

RIP
Feeling the pinch?

Financial boys have probably outvoted the marketing and PR departments.

Gudnews

Still got my Believe! money, that should cushion me for a while yet.

Randux

Expert Member
I'm glad I left Cell C more then a year ago for Telkom and I'm happy. Bought their Internet starter pack bundles and I get 5GB a month. So happy.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
If the price increase is only on the data, I'd suspect that their data costs are in USD and knowing that their profitability is low, they have to compensate the rand's weakness to avoid jeopardising their returns (they have quite a high gearing and little margin).

Swa

Honorary Master
If the price increase is only on the data, I'd suspect that their data costs are in USD and knowing that their profitability is low, they have to compensate the rand's weakness to avoid jeopardising their returns (they have quite a high gearing and little margin).
Their debt is in USD.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Quick Comparison:

Cellc Night data once off:
250mb : R6
1GB : R15

MTN Night Data once off:
250mb: R5
1GB: R10

MTN has the data option with a MTN prepaid sim to bolt on Afrihost or Axxess data which Cellc does not.

The Cellc 30 day bundles are still cheaper than MTN and Vodacom but with MTN you get extra airtime and with Vodacom the slightly more price comes with a much better network than Cellc.

Sorry Cellc you are not going to win customers by increasing prices.... :erm:

cr@zydude

Executive Member
How long until they start stealing from customers by upping their contract prices mid-contract?

Swa

Honorary Master
You can cancel a cellphone contract with any provider but you will be billed some extra fees.
How much extra? With Vodacom it's 75% of what's left on the contract. Cell C and VM you pay the proportional amount for the device. MTN you pay the device plus one month subscription.

cozinsky

Expert Member
How much extra? With Vodacom it's 75% of what's left on the contract. Cell C and VM you pay the proportional amount for the device. MTN you pay the device plus one month subscription.
I think you answered your own question.

TPM

ALL CSP's are ripping off (poor) customers by charging exorbitant amounts for small data bundles.
ICASA should fine them heavily.....it favours the rich !!!