Cell-C / IS "fixed" LTE

Zuner

Expert Member
That's a tough one. I guess I'll have to find out the hard way.
please let me know, all i need to know is in an area that supports fixed lte such as the one in the pic above, can it still work in the area outside of fixed lte coverage but inside the area of normal lte/lte-a.

Trying to do this for my mom but she's just barely in normal lte/lte-a area. if fixed lte will work in that area even at low speed 4mb i'll be happy, it just needs to beat the current 2mb adsl.

Zuner

Expert Member
Okay with the telkom 500gb night owl expired. looks like i'll have no choice but to bite the bullet and get the 50gb lte package, i know its not a lot but it effects my budget.

Previously my best options was ignite with mweb second in terms of getting best value for money with the router. i've since read some stuff about not trusting ignite so i'm left with mweb free router on 12 month pro rata.

Can anyone recommend a better deal ? or any reason why not to go with mweb? haven't been with them or trusted them since the great purge of uncapped power users.

EDIT: just how much better is the b618 router is it worth forking out extra to get it? looking at long term worth. and if i go with the b315 from mweb will it be unlocked and have the correct firmware to force certain frequency bands? i hear the telkom branded one's are best.

Last edited:

Lament

Executive Member
Does anyone in the Villeiria/Waverley (Pretoria) area have this?. Whats your speed like?, espesialy between 18:00 and 22:00, I'm now mooi gatvol vir RAIN.

spidaman

Expert Member
please let me know, all i need to know is in an area that supports fixed lte such as the one in the pic above, can it still work in the area outside of fixed lte coverage but inside the area of normal lte/lte-a.

Trying to do this for my mom but she's just barely in normal lte/lte-a area. if fixed lte will work in that area even at low speed 4mb i'll be happy, it just needs to beat the current 2mb adsl.
Just got the sim card yesterday, it works. Will monitor performance.

Zuner

Expert Member
Just got the sim card yesterday, it works. Will monitor performance.
Glad it works for you.
How far outside or inside the FIXED LTE coverage are you? and which site coverage are you checking? i know they differ depending where you go.

SHL

I'm quite happy with the service so far but haven't stress tested it yet. I would recommend you test your cell c LTE reception at your house first using a prepaid cell c sim card - none of the ISPs can do anything about a congested tower.

I haven't tried the Axxess app, but bookmarked the web link to view usage. Works 100% from phone.

There are a lot of variables. You can get congestion at several points (1) wifi signal & interference (2) router cpu and memory (3) lte signal (4) upstream internet. These can affect a single user and would be even worse for multiple users. That said, if you get +20mbps with a decent router you should be okay as long as everyone isn't trying to stream HD netflix simultaneously (even though in theory 4 people should be able to).
Just received my CellC LTE sim from Axxess and really happy so far.

Getting consistent speeds: 40Mbps download / 20Mbps Upload

Mobus

Just received my CellC LTE sim from Axxess and really happy so far.

Getting consistent speeds: 40Mbps download / 20Mbps Upload
If you're planning to use for netflix, run this speed test www.fast.com (it does a speed test straight to netflix servers).

Supposedly you need at least 5mbps for HD streaming and 25mbps for 4k.

Hi Guys

I got the Cell-c 100gb deal through webafrica last week and seems to be performing well. With just the "bunny ears" the maximum download speed I've gotten is 42mb/s and 20mb/s upload. Average speed is around 25Mb/s download, which I'm happy with. Pings aren't that great though (around 60-70ms local) and "jitter" is around 10. I'm guessing this won't be that great when it comes to online gaming (still use my ADSL line for that).

My question is whether installing a Poynting external LTE antenna (of similar) will give me a more stable connection (for gaming purposes) so that I can cancel my adsl line, together with phone line which I don't use.

Also, any indication as to the cost of one of these installations?

Thanks in advance

Since yesterday I'm also having issues. It comes and goes, sometimes red light on router and other times shows connected but nothing is coming through.

Lament

Executive Member
Got my CellC sim yesterday from Mweb, I ordered this Monday and received yesterday, SUPER FAST shipment (I waited more than 2 weeks with AXXESS when I ordered their exact same CellC package, which I canceled due to AXXESS's bad attitude and non existent customer service)
I'm coming from RAIN which I have been running the last +- 8 months, this far CellC is day and night above RAIN. With CellC @ 18:00 I got +- 60mbps. On RAIN I got 9mbps. With CellC @19:00 I got 40mbps, RAIN was down to 1.2mbps ~ 0mbps.

So ja, bye bye RAIN & BuzyBuy, good riddance....

Mobus

I was also offline last night at around 8h30pm.

Went on modem page to see whats going on. Cell c tower was flip-flopping between "cell c 3g" and "cell c limited service". Couldn't establish a data connection.

Lets hope that was a once off. Good first month so far. Axxess works nicely and I get notified when certain threholds are reached.