Sheesh, waited all day for a press release and this is how it is revealed. My word. :(

Want to smack CellC on the arse badly for this. :p

Yeah, what a huge dissapointment. Even makes MTN$ R399 a month contract seem promising, which just tells you just how bad Cell C's pricing.

wonder how much the S3 will cost on a StraightUp 200 - cant seem to find it on their site (if its even available on that

Its basically the straight up price plus R8400 divided by the number of months you want the contract for whether its 6 months or 24 months. No reduced prices for longer contracts.

The operator also said it would sell the device for a once-off price of R8,499.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is available on the 24-month Straight Up 100 contract for R499 per month which includes 100 minutes, 100 SMSes/MMSes, and 100MB of data.

But 8500/24=350ish..? 350+100=499pm?

That's terrible. Incredible is selling the S3 for a grand less.

Wait a minute. That's just weird... Normal straight up R 100pm. Now with S3 its R 499. i.e. R 400 for the phone pm.

Over 24 months that's R 9600... which is greater than the cash price. What gives??

Oh noooes! Cell C you are making Vodacon & MTN look better

But but just maybe one tiny tiny saving grace for Cell C. Ok this is a big screw up BUT.

100 minutes on MTN = R 250
75 SMS = about R 35 (given that the other 25 out of 100 are free on mtn too)

Given that only R 200 is included on an MTN Anytime contract for R 399 (Samsung), you have R 85 of extra value coming in the Cell C contract. That leaves R 15 to be recovered. That's the data part :)!

Now for all those that go out of bundle. Cell C call rates are 99c vs R 2+ for Vodacom MTN.

So what the best way would be is for FNB to bring this phone and bolt on a Cell C contract on it. WIN WIN WIN :D!

But but just maybe one tiny tiny saving grace for Cell C. Ok this is a big screw up BUT.

100 minutes on MTN = R 250
75 SMS = about R 35 (given that the other 25 out of 100 are free on mtn too)

Given that only R 200 is included on an MTN Anytime contract for R 399 (Samsung), you have R 85 of extra value coming in the Cell C contract. That leaves R 15 to be recovered. That's the data part :)!

Now for all those that go out of bundle. Cell C call rates are 99c vs R 2+ for Vodacom MTN.

So what the best way would be is for FNB to bring this phone and bolt on a Cell C contract on it. WIN WIN WIN :D!

It doesn't matter though. The price of the Cell C contract for the S3 is more than R100pm and a 24th of the S3's cash price (which is a terrible cash price anyway). There are no excuses. And Cell C is the network people expect to be driving costs down.

guess its just normal business sense, for all the networks... they are probly betting that there are so many people that desparately want one of these new S3 phones, enough so that they will pay whatever the asking price is to get one.
So cashing in on the early high demand.
In a few months time there may be some more sanity coming to the pricing... if you dont wanna wait, then cough up son :)

It doesn't matter though. The price of the Cell C contract for the S3 is more than R100pm and a 24th of the S3's cash price (which is a terrible cash price anyway). There are no excuses. And Cell C is the network people expect to be driving costs down.

Hence the last line. If you buy your phone elsewhere. Then the total running cost is lowest on Cell C

guess its just normal business sense, for all the networks... they are probly betting that there are so many people that desparately want one of these new S3 phones, enough so that they will pay whatever the asking price is to get one.
So cashing in on the early high demand.
In a few months time there may be some more sanity coming to the pricing... if you dont wanna wait, then cough up son :)

I am so tempted. Lucky I have a trip coming up so I will just hold off. Then when back sanity plus visibility of the new Nexus ;-)

But 8500/24=350ish..? 350+100=499pm?

Yip, this makes no sense. It has to be the most bizarre priced package I have ever seen. I was expecting Cell C to release this phone at a discounted rate on the new straight up contracts. How could they possibly have a package that is more expensive than just buying the handset from THEM, and getting the same contract afterwards? I was convinced I was going to move to Cell C this month but after this ridiculous offer it's clear that their pricing is no more competitive than the other operators. Shame on you Cell C.

Yip, this makes no sense. It has to be the most bizarre priced package I have ever seen. I was expecting Cell C to release this phone at a discounted rate on the new straight up contracts. How could they possibly have a package that is more expensive than just buying the handset from THEM, and getting the same contract afterwards? I was convinced I was going to move to Cell C this month but after this ridiculous offer it's clear that their pricing is no more competitive than the other operators. Shame on you Cell C.

Don't worry too much. FNB I think has got our backs on this one! Its a very very obvious screw up from them but the contract alone (no phone included) is actually superb.

Terrible contract.

Without the phone its unmatched at R 100.

Back