Cell C set to cut workforce

j4ck455

Executive Member
“At this time, and subject to consultation with the affected employees themselves, approximately 150 employees could be retrenched,” she continued.
Cell C has 1,288 permanent and fixed-term employees.
That means an estimated 12% dead wood as well as employees that have pissed off Cell C's management.

Randux

Expert Member
What do they mean by "orders"? I was under the impression one (prepaid client) can just switch by dialing 141

krycor

Honorary Master
As expected.. nowadays you can outsource a lot more as a modern operator.

nelwa

Expert Member
I guess AKC's salary is about the same as 150 regular employees?

FrankCastle

Executive Member
cell-c-old.jpg

Indeed.

zamicro

Expert Member
The group launched its new prepaid voice product and tariff plan called “99 Cents For Real” on 20 May 2012, and has already exceeded 2 million orders for the product.

This piece of info is really interesting. Impressive!

Centronix

Expert Member
Alan woke up last week and said I'm cutting prepaid call rates. But why stop there... what else can I cut...

Roo!

Expert Member
It's about recuperation for the money lost on the 99c deal. Less money in, less money out, same bottom line.

RustyPrincess

Expert Member
Cell C announced last week that its majority shareholder, Dubai-based Oger Telecom is currently injecting US$180 million (about R1,5 billion) as equity into Cell C

We are getting more money - how can we have even more - oh, wait - lets retrench people who need the jobs and outsource everything, effectively spending more.

That really sucks for everyone affected.

Shayd

Expert Member
We are getting more money - how can we have even more - oh, wait - lets retrench people who need the jobs and outsource everything, effectively spending more.

That really sucks for everyone affected.

If your costs go up when you outsource you are doing it wrong

j4ck455

Executive Member
On radio news, first suicide after Cell C served the retrenchment notice.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Retrenchment sucks but business is business. If you can operate with less clutter, a more focused and optimised workforce and better tech, why not?

j4ck455

Executive Member
I don't understand how Cell C can be in an expansion phase with the R1b+ cash injection from Ogre, and simultaneously justify very public retrenchments.

Retrenchments are presumably the last resort in a cash strapped company, I'm not convinced that Cell C falls into that category.