changing from ABSA to FNB

46Female

Expert Member
ive been with ABSA for 15 years now and ive just had enough of them and I was thinking of moving to FNB.
I only stayed with them because of the last company I worked for and it was quicker to get my salary but now I work for myself and I need a change.

and setting up PayPal would be easy

any advice?

element1

Choose the right FNB account, i.e. an account where you can maximise on eBucks based on you spend profile (with limited additional changes to how you would normally transact)

airborne

Honorary Master
Choose the right FNB account, i.e. an account where you can maximise on eBucks based on you spend profile (with limited additional changes to how you would normally transact)
Premier is the new entry level FNB account for earning decent eBucks.

I've been with FNB for donkeys years and never had a hassle, their app and online banking is very well done.

Sir Bob

Is you looking for a day to day transactional bank and don't care about the rewards have a look at Capitec.
For rewards compare discovery and fnb.

The Issue with discovery is the more products the better the rewards. If you have medical aid, car insurance discovery Bank and vitality you get a 40% discount on mile spend on the 15th of the month. Without the 40% discount I'm not sure it's worth it. Possibly if you want an iPhone and will meet all the targets

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don't like FNB or Absa, but I bank with both, personal and business.

I also have a Tymebank account I use as a security account in which I basically dump some savings.

Paypal is easy to setup. Some earnings I make are banked with mixed accounts, US/GB, opened by Payoneer. Never had a issue with any. I also don't have a Payoneer card so the service doesn't cost me a dime other than their cut. Withdrawal to a SA bank account is quick.

I am still considering the Discovery option.

neoprema

Executive Member
Ebucks will send you into an eternal black hole of trying to meet targets, 90% of of which you probably don't need but now feel compelled to do to earn more ebucks and levels.

Since switching to another bank I just swipe my card and earn cash back. Simple, works, I spend the cash on stuff i want and don't have to make sure I have 99999 products with them i didn't need to keep my level up.

Solitude

Executive Member
ive been with ABSA for 15 years now and ive just had enough of them and I was thinking of moving to FNB.
I only stayed with them because of the last company I worked for and it was quicker to get my salary but now I work for myself and I need a change.

and setting up PayPal would be easy

any advice?
I did the same a couple of years ago and it was totally worth it.

I just went to a branch and filled in forms and things. Everything went smoothly.

As someone said, eBucks can be a lot of hoops but man oh man it's worthwhile. I bought my XBox Series X with eBucks, my tv, my cellphone, lots of stuff!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Is you looking for a day to day transactional bank and don't care about the rewards have a look at Capitec.
For rewards compare discovery and fnb.

The Issue with discovery is the more products the better the rewards. If you have medical aid, car insurance discovery Bank and vitality you get a 40% discount on mile spend on the 15th of the month. Without the 40% discount I'm not sure it's worth it. Possibly if you want an iPhone and will meet all the targets
This.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Premier is the new entry level FNB account for earning decent eBucks.

I've been with FNB for donkeys years and never had a hassle, their app and online banking is very well done.
I downgraded myself back to Gold a few years back coz the bank charges on Cheque and Credit account was over 500 bux a month and I wasnt earning enough ebucks to offset that cost.
Im happy now on Gold again
OP is also piss poor earning a kak salary so not sure if it qualifies for Premier

SZN

Expert Member
I downgraded myself back to Gold a few years back coz the bank charges on Cheque and Credit account was over 500 bux a month and I wasnt earning enough ebucks to offset that cost.
OP is also piss poor earning a kak salary so not sure if it qualifies for Premier

Hence the OnlyFans...

Drifter

Honorary Master
Ironically, I am busy closing my FNB Private Client account and opened a Capitec. Sick of FNB crazy account fees.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I switched to the Zero Account because it came with free SIM card but I didn't use the sim for a month and the bastards deactivated and recycled the number in no time flat

Pineapple Smurf

Ironically, I am busy closing my FNB Private Client account and opened a Capitec. Sick of FNB crazy account fees.
I pay around 100 bux for cheque and credit card and earn about 200 bux in ebucks so it works for me on my piss poor salary

airborne

Honorary Master
Premier fees is R220 for a cheque and credit card account, it's only R70 more than the equivalent on Gold, which is now called Aspire. You can't earn much eBucks on Gold/Aspire anymore so that rights off eBucks.

I forgot the op needs PayPal, if that is the case and she has no desire to earn eBucks then just open the cheapest FNB account that can be linked to PayPal

Pineapple Smurf

Premier fees is R220 for a cheque and credit card account, it's only R70 more than the equivalent on Gold, which is now called Aspire. You can't earn much eBucks on Gold/Aspire anymore so that rights off eBucks.

I forgot the op needs PayPal, if that is the case and she has no desire to earn eBucks then just open the cheapest FNB account that can be linked to PayPal
Yeah earning eBucks is becoming more and more difficult.
A year ago I was on Level 5
I am now level 2 and some months level 3
Don't get anything back either for fuel like I use to coz now I must have a vehicle financed as well through them.
I earn most of my eBucks back from Takealot and not the bank anymore

Premier for R220 is bloody cheap, 3 years ago when I was on it it was around 500 bux

Drifter

Honorary Master
I pay around 100 bux for cheque and credit card and earn about 200 bux in ebucks so it works for me on my piss poor salary
My FNB PC is +/- R400 p/m on account fees alone. Pay and clear is R60, at Capitec its R8.00.

I just checked, in June my service fees were R460.

SZN

Expert Member
Reading this thread is a bit scary, I don't know how you guys pay R100s per month in bank fees?

Capitec + Tyme pays me R100s in internet every month, I can't fathom the idea of paying them.

Are you'll really getting the value from these bank accounts (eBucks, credit, home/car loans, etc)? My needs are pretty basic for the most part, so never saw the appeal.

That said I'll be joining the club next month, Investec Young Professionals +-R300 and linked UK account GBP10. At least I have Capitec and Tyme interest to cover the fees.