Characters ready for raiding?

rudivdw

Hi All

Since before I had battleping, I only ever got a ping of about 700ms, which I reckon would not have been quick enough to do the bigger 10 man or even 25 man raids (so I never bothered to do any of them).

Since we moved, and battleping has shown up, I get around 250 - 300ms ping, which is awesome! So since then I've been doing lots more regular dungeons, especially random ones with the dungeon finder tool. Needless to say, I don't have the best gear ever...

Anyway, I have a lvl 66 Shadow Priest, and a lvl 64 Death Knight. Here are the links to them in wowhead:

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=eu.veknilash.sykar
http://www.wowhead.com/profile=eu.veknilash.kitanah

My Priest is DPS mostly (shadow), and my DK I do some tanking with (only started that when, while doing a random dungeon, the tank left, and I took over - after we finished the one guy said I'm pretty good, so I must always be tank - again, the slower connection never really allowed me to be a good tank, so I always did DPS instead... Anyway, only been tanking with my DK for a few weeks now)

How does my gear look? What should I change to be worthwhile in a raid instance (or even be considered to get invited!)?

(I've been playing WOW since beginning of last year, but I'm by no means a pro... didn't play between Oct and May due to connectivity sucking issues)

Thanks guys, appreciate your input!
Rudi

lordneon

Level until your at 80. Then get gear. Then raid. For now I suggest forget about raiding.

The_Second_One

Yeah agreed, you need to hit 80, or soon 85 before you even consider raiding. Raids are for max level players, and you won't be able to enter raids until you reached the max level. Unless you're doing Vanilla (Lvl 60) or BC (Lvl 70) raids, in which case most people will be Lvl 80, and you'll pretty be boosted all the way through :p

But yeah, once you hit 80, grind random heroics to get all your T9/Triumph gear, hit the new dungeons for highest pre-raid iLvl weapons, and then start trying to get into raids :)

rudivdw

Yeah agreed, you need to hit 80, or soon 85 before you even consider raiding. Raids are for max level players, and you won't be able to enter raids until you reached the max level. Unless you're doing Vanilla (Lvl 60) or BC (Lvl 70) raids, in which case most people will be Lvl 80, and you'll pretty be boosted all the way through :p

But yeah, once you hit 80, grind random heroics to get all your T9/Triumph gear, hit the new dungeons for highest pre-raid iLvl weapons, and then start trying to get into raids :)
Oh so lvl 80 people play the lower level raids as well? I thought that because i'm lvl 60+ I should be doing raids now too...

The_Second_One

Oh so lvl 80 people play the lower level raids as well? I thought that because i'm lvl 60+ I should be doing raids now too...
Not very often, but there are groups that do the lower lvl raids for the achievements, and for fun I suppose.

But there's no benefit to you raiding now, unless you want to experience to content. Gear you get from questing in 60+ zones will be better, alot better than gear you get from doing lvl 60 raids.

rudivdw

Not very often, but there are groups that do the lower lvl raids for the achievements, and for fun I suppose.

But there's no benefit to you raiding now, unless you want to experience to content. Gear you get from questing in 60+ zones will be better, alot better than gear you get from doing lvl 60 raids.
Ahh so quest reward gear is actually decent? Also, is it a good idea to lvl by only doing random dungeons? Or is questing more important?

The_Second_One

Quest reward gear is pretty decent... for questing.

I usually do both when I lvl, also depends what I'm levelling. I'm an altaholic, so I spend alot of time levelling, if I'm levelling a healer or tank class, I'll spend a fair amount of time doing random dungeons. If I'm levelling a DPS class, I'll spend a lot more time question, and seldom even bother queuing for random dungeons. I'd rather queue for BG's tbh :)

SnowWar

Expert Member
You do what you feel like really.

Questing, if done right is by far the quickest or best xp per time spend (but maybe a bit boring for you?)
Your 1st BG a day or AV with that 'Call to Honor' weekend or whatever its called now gives nice XP also (70-80)
Leveling from dungeons gets slower and slower the higher your level gets, but is fun and gives gear.

What I've always done is Quest, join LFG when I feel a bit tired of questing and do that or alternatively queue for BG when I'm tired of the other 2.
I generally level a toon from 1-80 in no more than 6 days playtime.

Get to 80 and then the gear grind starts :p

(ow and btw u can maybe try get your hands on Zygor guides)

rudivdw

Quest reward gear is pretty decent... for questing.

I usually do both when I lvl, also depends what I'm levelling. I'm an altaholic, so I spend alot of time levelling, if I'm levelling a healer or tank class, I'll spend a fair amount of time doing random dungeons. If I'm levelling a DPS class, I'll spend a lot more time question, and seldom even bother queuing for random dungeons. I'd rather queue for BG's tbh :)
Thanks for the advice! Just out of curiosity, I did some BG's the weekend, but don't see the daily quests at the battlemaster guy - are these quests not available anymore? How, other than doing the daily quests, do you get XP when doing BG's?

The_Second_One

Np bud :)

You now get your XP for winning bg's, and max XP from winning your first random BG of the day. Instead of picking up a daily at a Battlemaster, you now queue for a random BG, and that counts as your daily.

But yeah, loads of things in BG's now give XP, capping flags, returning flags, capping bases, etc etc...

BacchusZA

Catacalysm is probably going to go live in the next two months or so, so unfortunately chances are you're not going to see much - if any - of current raiding content.
Assuming you can get to 80 and geared up enough for raiding in the remaining time - which is quite doable, if a fair investment of time & effort - it's all too likely you're going to have a hard time finding people who are even bothering to raid anymore, as people generally give up on current content a few weeks before the new expansion goes live.

Don't let that discourage you though, but I'd also suggest not busting a gut to get to 80 just so you can farm gear to stand a chance to get into any raids that might be taking place. Play the game how you enjoy it, have fun, & see what happens when you get to 80 :)

rudivdw

Catacalysm is probably going to go live in the next two months or so, so unfortunately chances are you're not going to see much - if any - of current raiding content.
Assuming you can get to 80 and geared up enough for raiding in the remaining time - which is quite doable, if a fair investment of time & effort - it's all too likely you're going to have a hard time finding people who are even bothering to raid anymore, as people generally give up on current content a few weeks before the new expansion goes live.

Don't let that discourage you though, but I'd also suggest not busting a gut to get to 80 just so you can farm gear to stand a chance to get into any raids that might be taking place. Play the game how you enjoy it, have fun, & see what happens when you get to 80 :)
Hehe, I'll never reach lvl 80 before the new expansion! A friend and I recently started a new char together, so we're playing that most of the time (lvl 28 now), and I'm also an altaholic, have several other chars that I regularly play with. (lvl 34 shaman, lvl 29 hunter, lvl 24 paladin)

Anyway, thanks for all the help guys!

zippy

Executive Member
If your goal in the game is to raid, then level as fast as you can to lvl 80. Raiding at lvl 60 and lvl 70 will just delay you as you almost zero xp and hardly anyone does it. You get lvl 80's doing these early raids for the achievements. Dont bother. By all means if the opportunity arises, take it. Makes a nice break. But remember you can sit in the raid group for an hour or more waiting for it to fully form. A lot of time wasted.

If your class can tank or heal, then farm random dungeons as tank or healer. Otherwise do the quests. Life begins at 80 :)

rudivdw

If your goal in the game is to raid, then level as fast as you can to lvl 80. Raiding at lvl 60 and lvl 70 will just delay you as you almost zero xp and hardly anyone does it. You get lvl 80's doing these early raids for the achievements. Dont bother. By all means if the opportunity arises, take it. Makes a nice break. But remember you can sit in the raid group for an hour or more waiting for it to fully form. A lot of time wasted.

If your class can tank or heal, then farm random dungeons as tank or healer. Otherwise do the quests. Life begins at 80 :)
Thanks for your input! Yesterday I quested with my Death Knight some more, and got about halfway to my next level with all the XP I got, also got a nice helm with 3 sockets too.

Did you guys see, the newest patch is ready to get downloaded? Mine's at a full 1% already!

Cheers

werries2

Expert Member
Does the random dungeons not give some loot reward for the first one of the day now? I think doing at least the 1st random of the day while leveling on all your toons will help you getting gear faster. Better gear = easier questing = faster leveling.

As mentioned before, don't bother with raids till you are maxed level. And seems like you like the casual play with leveling quite a bit, so forget about raiding. Raiding = commitment... if you want to have any form of success with it.

rudivdw

Does the random dungeons not give some loot reward for the first one of the day now? I think doing at least the 1st random of the day while leveling on all your toons will help you getting gear faster. Better gear = easier questing = faster leveling.

As mentioned before, don't bother with raids till you are maxed level. And seems like you like the casual play with leveling quite a bit, so forget about raiding. Raiding = commitment... if you want to have any form of success with it.
Yes each random dungeon gives a "satchel of helpful goods" and some money, but I've only ever seen neck and back gear there.

Yeah I don't have the time (unfortunately) to put that many hours into WOW, I just maybe play a quick hour in the evening, and maybe a few more over the weekend... guess I'll never see a raid then hehe. Oh well, maybe my dream of getting paid to play games will one day be fulfilled, then I'll do raids! :D

zippy

Executive Member

Not entirely, I am in a casual guild. We don't force people to raid. We have cleared all 10 man content and currently progressing with icc 10man heroic and icc 25 man normal . Ofc, there are issues, but I have been in this guild for coming on 3years in Nov. We have lost good raiders because they prefer more, dare I say, of a hardcore approach. We don't whine when they leave, wish them well.

I would say the main goal of our guild is for casual mature wow players to experience the end game content and we are largely successful. Our goal is not to achieve server firsts, as we simply don't have time. And if we don't clear 10man icc heroic before cataclysm, we won't be stressed about it.

The_Second_One

You now get a Satchel of Helpful Goods each time you do a random, and yeah, the gear from there is very good, but often the gear you get is useless to your class. There is no limit to how many of these satchel's you can get per day.

However, once you start doing Northrend dungeons, you no longer recieve the satchel, instead you recieve Emblems of Triumph and you only recieve these Emblems for the first dungeon you do each day.