Cheap ways to combat load shedding

Bighit

Expert Member
How much cheaper is gas than electricity? I understand that it's a difficult comparison as a 1 litre pot of water will boil faster on gas than an electric stove but can someone give a ball park figure?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
How much cheaper is gas than electricity? I understand that it's a difficult comparison as a 1 litre pot of water will boil faster on gas than an electric stove but can someone give a ball park figure?
When there's loadshedding and you need a cup o' tea - priceless

BBotha

Our Gas stove is used for cooking food, twice a day, and we use an 48kg bottle of gas every 8 months, at around R1050 per refill.

tsume

The Pervy Sage
Question about using a generator, don't you have to make amendments to your wiring system?

Question about using a generator, don't you have to make amendments to your wiring system?
Only if you connect it into the house wiring, put the gennie on a stoep and run an extension into which you plug lights and TV and you're golden.

DO NOT use an extension cord to plug the genie into your mains wiring.

savage

Expert Member
It depends on the generator. The generators in the article, can not be connected to a fixed electrical installation (i.e. your DB). You can only connect appliances directly to it.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
That's if you want to go all out - you buy a generator with a self-starter, put in suitable housing (with exhaust provision), and get an electrician to wire it in, with a 3-way switch (mains, off, generator) and a push-button to start the generator. Only add to the gennie circuitry the priority items you want it to power, or that fall within its capacity.

That's an expensive exercise, so many people just run extensions as other people have mentioned.

Odracir

Expert Member
Good article albeit if it's advertising in disguise. Forum members give good input which is welcoming during these times.