Checkers Rush - New checkout-less, queue-less concept store

LightningSux

Looking at the pictures and screenshots (assuming they are actually related), it appears that the lady bought doughnuts, bottled water and a sandwich, but was only billed for the doughnuts and bottled water?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Machine Vision and AI? You can just put those little electronic tags on everything then I push my trolley through a magnetic scanner and it bills me. Seems a lot simpler.

Roo!

Expert Member
Machine Vision and AI? You can just put those little electronic tags on everything then I push my trolley through a magnetic scanner and it bills me. Seems a lot simpler.
But the tags then leave the store. With stored based AI and cameras there's no lost cost.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I must say I do love the scan-while-you-shop and self-checkout at Tesco. Never a queue to leave the shop, everything's already in bags, super convenient.

markings

Expert Member
They'll become packers and/or 6060 drivers etc. etc.
One doesn't need a packer for the 3 items she picked. I want to see it working with a trolley full of goods.
Neither the Shoprite not the Amazon video show 'serious' shopping.

Last edited:

TedLasso

Expert Member
I thought that was the promise of RFID tags to replace barcodes which I have been waiting for decades now. I wonder what happened to that idea. Still seems to be a way more efficient manner to do this that the camera/ML stuff and easier to roll out to all stores without needing a massive retrofit.

We Love Bass

Nedbank is even introducing mobile ATMs in UMLAZI, Im starting to think these companies want to get robbed on purpose.

Dave

Honorary Master
I must say I do love the scan-while-you-shop and self-checkout at Tesco. Never a queue to leave the shop, everything's already in bags, super convenient.

The fastest machines are the new roll out of Asda ones, followed by the very similar Sainsburys ones. Tesco needs some updating ;)

Dave

Honorary Master

Milano

Honorary Master

Self-checkout shopping is nothing new, though, and was even trialled by Pick n Pay in South Africa in 2016.

However, following workers’ unions stating that self-checkouts would lead to job losses, Pick n Pay cancelled the trial.

Cosatu said it was “bitterly opposed” to the self-service checkout system – and as of 2018, Pick n Pay said there had been no developments to the system and there were no plans to take it forward.

envo

Expert Member
Before posting irrelevant crap; read the article. Store is only for its employees at their head office. No public launch date set and there probably won't be for a few more years. If ever.
The public already tested it at several of their stores, what do you mean?

eg2505

Honorary Master
we dont even have self service check out in SA. now cashier less?
NEVER going to happen in a thousand years,

and if by some miracle it does go live in SA, we will have people manually counting stock when you leave,
as we cant trust these electronic thingies.

like we cant trust Saffers to pour our own petrol, even though its hilariously easy.