Checkers Rush - New checkout-less, queue-less concept store

Shadowchaser1

So the unions rule SA according to a post? How old is load shedding in SA, 14/15 years? They can't even fix Escom and just hth are they going to manage a shop like this? Can't see that it would happen in SA in the near future. BTW how is the 4IR coming?

Milano

Honorary Master
So the unions rule SA according to a post? How old is load shedding in SA, 14/15 years? They can't even fix Escom and just hth are they going to manage a shop like this? Can't see that it would happen in SA in the near future. BTW how is the 4IR coming?

The role of unions is not to fix Eskom. Their role is to govern alongside the ANC. To ensure that SOE's and the civil service employ hundreds of thousands more than needed. And then to make the country ungovernable if any of the thousands of unnecessary employees at Eskom (or hundreds of thousands employed anywhere) ever have their jobs threatened.

They are hardly needed though as the ANC is already basically a trade union and is perfectly capable of ruining the country without COSATU. I suppose every bit of assistance helps make things worse.

eg2505

Honorary Master
That is mandated by law to ensure job protection for fuel attendants.
agreed, thats why "1st world" concepts will never see the light of day in our 3rd world Sh1th0le

simply takes away jobs, from a country that needs more jobs no matter how simple.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Here is the concept in japan:

Self checkout and automated checkout rely on the consumer being honest, which frankly honesty isn't something that is in abundance in this country.

eg2505

Honorary Master
imagine the looting when the power goes out,

eg2505

Honorary Master

Self checkout and automated checkout rely on the consumer being honest, which frankly honesty isn't something that is in abundance in this country.
or otherwise the Yakuza thugs come and beat you up, if you try steal from their shop.
they own many of these little shops.

Dave

Honorary Master
or otherwise the Yakuza thugs come and beat you up, if you try steal from their shop.
they own many of these little shops.

oh god... eggy is now an expert on Japanese shops as well…

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I will celebrate the day that I don't have to interact with Checkers cashiers anymore.

azbob

Honorary Master

Yep. We don’t even pay E-tolls or TV licenses.

konfab

Honorary Master
Unions: You can't pay people such a low wage to do a menial job!

The private sector:
Ok. We will get rid of those jobs.

Unions:
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

cr@zydude

Executive Member
agreed, thats why "1st world" concepts will never see the light of day in our 3rd world Sh1th0le

simply takes away jobs, from a country that needs more jobs no matter how simple.

2 US states still mandate petrol pump attendants to keep people employed.

TooFastTim

Expert Member
I thought that was the promise of RFID tags to replace barcodes which I have been waiting for decades now. I wonder what happened to that idea. Still seems to be a way more efficient manner to do this that the camera/ML stuff and easier to roll out to all stores without needing a massive retrofit.

CSIR trialled the RFID idea yonks ago. Push the whole trolley trough and it rang up everything. No idea why it didn't take off.