Chinese Tablet Buyers Guide.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Yebo. Still being packed or whatever.
Waiting is
What shipping method did you take. I took DHL, was here in about 12 days (regional), if you took the buff route expect 2 weeks or more.

Tablet cover is being delivered today just got a phone call in the 3rd week now.

Hope you have plenty of patience :D

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
No power tomorrow in EL, hope my T20 will last the day :p
Yeah I went to retail park yesterday, was no power and it was a pain.
We still had power in Stirling though so must have been limited to Beacon Bay.
Weird thing was that the traffic lights at retail park were still on, must be on the Eskom circuit for their offices.

Darkjo

What shipping method did you take. I took DHL, was here in about 12 days (regional), if you took the buff route expect 2 weeks or more.

Tablet cover is being delivered today just got a phone call in the 3rd week now.

Hope you have plenty of patience :D
Buff route. Yep have to be patient.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Buff route. Yep have to be patient.
Well lol, I am done and dusted with my import adventure, tablet cover arrived and is great. Only thing I am still waiting for now unrelated to the tablet buy is the 4g router.

That pretty much concludes my purchase, definitely looking forward to getting your view on the M20, going to be interesting to see if we share similar views.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Off topic.But I found it quite interesting.My mybroadband powerbank arrived today and got the 20 000mah polymoss 20.I found the design quite curious, almost exactly the same.The body shape, size, frame and weight is about the same, the fonsi is a wee bit heavier. The difference is the power button and led battery strip on top, the rossmoss does, 2.1amps and the fonsi 2 amps.

Considering both are made in china, I am wondering if they are made in the same factory or just plain old design knock off.But considering I have tested the fonsi quite well and it does do the 30 000 mah, charge conversion rate of about 60% efficiency.I got the fonsi at 75% charged and took a decent while to recharge that final 25%, the rossmoss I got today was charged to less then 50% and has been charging the entire day just got to 75% that said I was using a 1amp charge, have switched to a 2.5amp charger now so should go quickly.

I didn't allow the fonsi to go below half battery load this week and will likely have to drain it completely once in a while, as for the tablet I try and keep it above 75%, also will need to drain the battery completely soon.The theoretical charge for the tablet is 6600mah, but currently only charging 6350mah, hopefully a complete battery drain I can get that extra 350mah.

That said I have 50 000mah now, I should theoretically have around 30 000mah on hand with 60% efficiency.

I just thought I should post about the interesting design similarities

wizardofid

Executive Member
off topic again my bid or buy router arrived, works a treat placed in the window frame and was able to pick up 2 two 3 bars 4G. so booster box should increase that at least.

I got sent the B315 S22 model.

What an absolute pleasure not having to worry about connecting a USB modem or doing a dial up.

Did have to set it as a metered connection in windows 10 just in case it gets any ideas, as it automatically set the USB modem as metered connection but not the wifi.

Last edited:

Darkjo

Off topic.But I found it quite interesting.My mybroadband powerbank arrived today and got the 20 000mah polymoss 20.I found the design quite curious, almost exactly the same.The body shape, size, frame and weight is about the same, the fonsi is a wee bit heavier. The difference is the power button and led battery strip on top, the rossmoss does, 2.1amps and the fonsi 2 amps.

View attachment 714501
I've got that 20 000Mah. A beast. big and heavy. seems to do the job though

wizardofid

Executive Member
What's the best value tablet with similar specs but 6GB or more Ram?
No idea, helio x series chipsets have max support for 4 gig ram as far as I am aware.Some of the P series chipsets released support up to 6gig ram like the P22.That teclast T30 is one of the few tablets to date that have a mediatek P series chip, (trusted brand at least)

6gig ram tablets in budget/mid range cost far too much as they have to make use of expensive and new chipsets, P22 for the most part is found in phones.If you want 6gig ram you have to make use of snapdragon or kirin.

That said older snap dragon chipsets like 625, 650 , 660 have been making there way to android tablets, mostly in huawei devices, which still cost triple or more then a helio Xseries based tablet. I think the 625 is par with helio X23 and 27 series and the 650 and 660 about 30% odd faster, but X series faster with regard to multi tasking and such.

Neither the kirin and snapdragon offer good value for money, and not particularly popular with tablet makers.

Which is why you will find tablets in general have 3 year old tech in them, the older the cheaper to produce a tablet.

Best bang/buck tablet right now has to be the teclast T30, best value/buck the M20 4G, You should probably expect 6gig tablets in this price range with in one- two years, or be willing to fork out 8k -10k or more.

4 gig ram tablets in the mid range section only became popular and cheaper with in the last year and half.Quite scary the budget section of tablets only recently got to the "cheap" 2gig ram range, but still rocking 16 or 32gig roms.

airborne

Executive Member
Ah ok so 4Gb ram is the sweet spot with Tablets currently in terms of value.

How do the chinese guys manage to make cheap cellphones with 6gb Ram, apart from the larger screens aren't tablets and cellphones pretty much the same underlying hardware?

wizardofid

Executive Member
Ah ok so 4Gb ram is the sweet spot with Tablets currently in terms of value.

How do the chinese guys manage to make cheap cellphones with 6gb Ram, apart from the larger screens aren't tablets and cellphones pretty much the same underlying hardware?
I think for one you have to consider, smart phones use less materials then a tablet, screens are better mass produced making them far cheaper then tablet screens. Tablet screens also require I higher PPI, and the higher the PPI the higher the costs, smart phone hardware is also better massed produced then with tablets.

Tablet and phone is the same form factor, remove the screen and larger battery and more materials, and the production costs is about the same as a phone.

The biggest impact on mid range tablets, are the screens and digitizers, on my tablet which costs roughly $169- $190 pending whether or not it is on special. The screen and digitizer is about half the costs of the entire tablet.Not even the EMMC which costs as little as $20.00 for 128gig emmc comes close, the chipset used for example the SMD 450 you can have for as little as $10.50, helio P23 for $15.

The better the screen PPI the more you are going to pay. You can have an exact same tablet one with a 1080P screen and one with 2K screen and a PPI difference of 244 and 300 between them and the costs will be upwards of R500.00 or more, laminated or OGS screen, pretty much R1000.00 difference point blank between them.

The smaller the screen the less PPI you need to have decent quality, and the cheaper it is to mass produce.

Have a look at tablets with an IPS screen with a resolution of 1280 x 800 and then price differences as the resolution jumps, same hardware.Also the reason why desktop monitors are in general more expensive then TV's.

Last edited:

airborne

Executive Member
Many cellphone screens match or beat the ppi on tablets so I don't think that has much to do with the cost. The size though would have an affect.

wizardofid

Executive Member
FYI any one wanting to buy the m20, teclast has released their updated version of the m20 called the m30 with 4 gig ram and 128rom.

Differences are, 2.5k display, CPU speed upgrade from 2.3 to 2.6, and fully laminated screen now, and type c port, and battery is 7500 mah now.Costs about R50 more, still runs android 8.With the exception of battery and display every thing else is still the same.

Finding these minor revisions pointless, jump between the T20 and T30 makes it a worth while upgrade.I don't understand why the revisions between the m20 and m30 is so meh. Unless you do not have the previous revision its rather pointless and meh. The jump from 1920 to 2.5k is minor as well the 300mhz CPU speed increase.

Only real worth while upgrade is laminated screen, which should provide even better viewing angles as well as outdoor use and finally the screen responsiveness, which was already pretty great to start with.

Would be much better if the upgraded to newer and better CPU/GPU chipset then this incremental nonsense.

For R2576.00 on banggood( stock seems to be in short supply else where) not bad if you don't own a tablet with either the helio x20 x23 or x27.

Personally would have gotten the m30 just for display upgrade over the m20.Oh well I am still happy with the m20 regardless just annoyed this revision wasn't avaible three weeks ago.

I thought I would share the info, for those that might be interested.Just in case M30 4gig/128gig is the only one that was revised the others versions are the old version and not worth it unless they are significantly cheaper.Seems stores are pushing the old m20 4gig/128gig stock perhaps keep an eye out for a good deal on them.Still the best bang/value tablet you will find with a 128gig ROM.Seriously don't know how they are able to sell 128rom tablet for so cheap the tablet sports an 5.1 emmc which hardly a slow poke.

One thing I will add definitely would like to see a light sensor on their other tablets as well, I have that on my lg k9 which has the Qualcomm snapdragon 425 and honestly makes a huge difference with battery life and adjusting to the perfect brightness level.Irony is the phone costs about the same when first released as the m20. Pretty happy with that as well.

Prawnapple

FYI any one wanting to buy the m20, teclast has released their updated version of the m20 called the m30 with 4 gig ram and 128rom.

Differences are, 2.5k display, CPU speed upgrade from 2.3 to 2.6, and fully laminated screen now, and type c port, and battery is 7500 mah now.Costs about R50 more, still runs android 8.With the exception of battery and display every thing else is still the same.

Finding these minor revisions pointless, jump between the T20 and T30 makes it a worth while upgrade.I don't understand why the revisions between the m20 and m30 is so meh. Unless you do not have the previous revision its rather pointless and meh. The jump from 1920 to 2.5k is minor as well the 300mhz CPU speed increase.

Only real worth while upgrade is laminated screen, which should provide even better viewing angles as well as outdoor use and finally the screen responsiveness, which was already pretty great to start with.

Would be much better if the upgraded to newer and better CPU/GPU chipset then this incremental nonsense.

For R2576.00 on banggood( stock seems to be in short supply else where) not bad if you don't own a tablet with either the helio x20 x23 or x27.

Personally would have gotten the m30 just for display upgrade over the m20.Oh well I am still happy with the m20 regardless just annoyed this revision wasn't avaible three weeks ago.

I thought I would share the info, for those that might be interested.Just in case M30 4gig/128gig is the only one that was revised the others versions are the old version and not worth it unless they are significantly cheaper.Seems stores are pushing the old m20 4gig/128gig stock perhaps keep an eye out for a good deal on them.Still the best bang/value tablet you will find with a 128gig ROM.Seriously don't know how they are able to sell 128rom tablet for so cheap the tablet sports an 5.1 emmc which hardly a slow poke.

One thing I will add definitely would like to see a light sensor on their other tablets as well, I have that on my lg k9 which has the Qualcomm snapdragon 425 and honestly makes a huge difference with battery life and adjusting to the perfect brightness level.Irony is the phone costs about the same when first released as the m20. Pretty happy with that as well.
Are you happy with your purchase? I am thinking about getting a contract from for example Cell C or Telkom Mobile. Telkom has the Huawei MediaPad M5 lite and the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) both of which get some good reviews. Any ideas? Or would it be better to go gearbest / Teclast M30 (https://www.gearbest.com/phone-call-tablets/pp_009905781231.html?wid=1433363)? - Damnit, why couldn't it be black...

Last edited: