Cisco 1800 dot1q trunk

Subways81

Dont know if this is a dumb question but im setting up a dedicated diginet link for a VoIP test, i know on my wireless network and L3 and L2 IOS switches to pass multiple vlans over a single interface all you do is switchport mode trunk (auto dot1q) the ports between the switches.

The same command (switchport) is not recognised by the Cisco 1800. Are router interfaces automagically set up with dot1q trunking???

These links are Faaaar apart, so i really would like to get the majority of the config done while I have both routers in my office.

Cheers for any help.

drs

Are you trying to set up the VLAN interfaces on an Ethernet or a serial interface? If Ethernet, then something like this should work (taken from an old 7200):

Code:
interface FastEthernet0/0.3034
 description "foo"
 encapsulation dot1Q 3034
 ip address 192.0.2.138 255.255.255.252
 ipv6 address 2001:db8::2/64
!
If you're trying to setup a VLAN interface on a serial interface, you'd be barking up the wrong tree. Serial lines aren't Ethernet links, so you can't (natively) use an Ethernet encapsulation on a serial line. There are probably other ways of multiplexing on a serial line, but I don't have access to any routers with serial interfaces so I can't comment any further.

Subways81

Ah see, heres the scenario:

PBX-----------\
Clients PC's-----ManagedSwitch(2960)---------Router1(Diginet)-------------------Router3----ManagedSwitch----PBX
\
\-------Router2(Diginet)-------------------Router4----ManagedSwitch----Servers

I hope thats clear. I want to separate the PBX traffic onto its own diginet, Looking at this now, i think im over complicating things, i imagine switchport access vlan the ports on the 2960 belonging to the pbx and router should do the trick just fine.

Subways81

Ah see, heres the scenario:

PBX-----------\
Clients PC's-----ManagedSwitch(2960)---------Router1(Diginet)-------------------Router3----ManagedSwitch----PBX
\
\-------Router2(Diginet)-------------------Router4----ManagedSwitch----Servers

I hope thats clear. I want to separate the PBX traffic onto its own diginet, Looking at this now, i think im over complicating things, i imagine switchport access vlan the ports on the 2960 belonging to the pbx and router should do the trick just fine.
Wow, that didnt work at all... lol

ponder

Honorary Master
Well you would also need subinterfaces on your main serial interfaces and then also try and configure some form of priority or QoS else normal traffic could induce latency to the voice traffic.

But in all honesty I'm not 100% sure what you are doing.

Subways81

Ok, We have one main PBX at our HEad Office, and then Remote Shelves at our branch offices, all remote shelves communicate with the main PBX over IP, at the moment I have voice and traffic running over the same vlan (ie 1) with QoS. Its been bad, the voice quality is all over the show.

What im implementing as a test is a 2nd Diginet line at the branch office purely for the voice traffic. So the branch office now has 2 separate routers, each connected to its own diginet. What im planning on doing is, at the branch office, to vlan off the ether ports on the cisco 2960 that connect to the remote shelf and the "voice" router, separating the voice traffic from vlan1, then on the Main Office site set up destination routes to force just the PBX IP's destined for the remote shelf back over the "voice" diginet.

I think this is the only way im going to get away with it with out having to change IP's or major static routes.

Subways81

On second thoughts, maybe I should just drop the vlans altogether, so just route the voice traffic to the 2nd router, voice and data will still be mixed on the routers and switches but separate on the lines...

Subways81

Where im getting a bit confused with the vlans is, at the main office, I cannot put the main PBX in a dedicated voice vlan as the rest of the remote shelves will not be able to see it, I can see how tagged traffic will get from the test site to the main site via a vlan trunk but I cannot see how it will get back as the voice traffic will not be tagged...

I was thinking switchport mode trunk on the ports connecting the PBX at the main site, this would allow the tagged traffic to the pbx, but how do I get untagged traffic back to the remote shelf?

Roman4604

Expert Member
I was thinking switchport mode trunk on the ports connecting the PBX at the main site, this would allow the tagged traffic to the pbx, but how do I get untagged traffic back to the remote shelf?
The PBX shouldn't need to be dealing with tagged frames, switch access ports should be adding/stripping the tags.

Don't understand what your trying to achieve?

dabouncer

Expert Member
One the Cisco router at the branch you will need to setup a pbr/route-map on the lan interface that says any traffic from the pbx ip to the head office pbx ip go via the diginet router/interface.

One the Cisc router at head office you will do the same and say any traffic from the head office pbx to the branch or branches pbx go via the diginet router/interface.

Are you using 1 router with a diginet wic? If so then the pbr next hop ip will be the other side of the diginet. You can qos the diginet link but since your pbr will only send voice traffic there is not much point. You could do rtp compression on the serial interface on both sides.

You are over complicating your life with vlans over the wan. Generally extending vlans over the wan is not done but if you want to do it you would use tunnel interfaces in vrf's (best method) on each side with the vlan and tunnel interface in the vrf. This way you would extend the vlan but not with 802.1q encap.

Go and research access-lists, pbr and route-map with set ip next hop.

Subways81

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/13zbXUHD7Guq5JKBF8ppvMuke7gpLgWtnjc8LiLG_zXc/edit

Currently ALL traffic runs from R-Site 1 to R-Site 2 over a single diginet (1800-1) then R-site 2 connects to Main office via Wifi.

What im trying to do is separate the voice traffic (PBX to RShelf) from the Data traffic on site 1.

My first thought was to put the 3 ports on the remote shelf at r-site 1 and the port for the 1800-2 on the 2960 into a vlan, let say vlan22. Ok so now data (vlan1) and voice (vlan22) on site 1 are separated. I can put the port on the 2960 that the 1800 in main site connects to into vlan22. Setup some basic routing and all devices in vlan22 can ping each other. So far so good.

Where im stumped is what to I do with the PBX at the main site, I cannot put its ports on the 2960 into vlan22 as that will cut off R-site2 and while its in vlan1 its traffic wont get back to the R-Shelf in R-Site 1.

Hopefully this is clearer, apologies for the rudimentary diagram, smacked it together in a rush.

Subways81

One the Cisco router at the branch you will need to setup a pbr/route-map on the lan interface that says any traffic from the pbx ip to the head office pbx ip go via the diginet router/interface.

One the Cisc router at head office you will do the same and say any traffic from the head office pbx to the branch or branches pbx go via the diginet router/interface.

Are you using 1 router with a diginet wic? If so then the pbr next hop ip will be the other side of the diginet. You can qos the diginet link but since your pbr will only send voice traffic there is not much point. You could do rtp compression on the serial interface on both sides.

You are over complicating your life with vlans over the wan. Generally extending vlans over the wan is not done but if you want to do it you would use tunnel interfaces in vrf's (best method) on each side with the vlan and tunnel interface in the vrf. This way you would extend the vlan but not with 802.1q encap.

Go and research access-lists, pbr and route-map with set ip next hop.
I think this is what I was waiting to hear!! Will check out pbr and route-map, but couldn't I just use destination based routes using the remote site 1 remote shelf's IP's as the destination?

Subways81

Surely you have some understanding of what is causing poor voice quality (I assume the issue)?
Really im not sure, my wireless links have a latency of about 6ms and about 20mb full duplex bandwidth, the voice is prioritised by IP source and destination and still I get voice degradation on the line. We use a Siemens solution which uses proprietary ports, the range is too big to QoS by port, so by IP is the only option I have.

VoIP best practice says you should separate your Data and Voice so that is what im trying.

Do you have an idea of the issues surrounding VoIP in WAN situations over point to point wireless networks? What kind of VoIP setup are you running?

Roman4604

Expert Member
VoIP best practice says you should separate your Data and Voice so that is what im trying.
True for the purposes of security and more importantly end point QoS in a LAN environment (if you have the appropriate types of IP phones). But it doesn't sound like this has anything to do with your issues (i.e. VLANing won't necessarily solve it). Do any of the ports, segments or links between the voice devices spike to wire/max speed saturation?

Do you have an idea of the issues surrounding VoIP in WAN situations over point to point wireless networks?
No if the wireless link is running clean, that is reasonably steady latency (jitter) and no/minimal packet loss, you should be fine.