Cloud Backup Solution.

basil katakuzinos

I have about 200Gb of photos and 100Gb of files that I want to back up.
I am looking for an affordable solution that is scalable (It doesn't help if in 10Years time I will have to pay thousands because of the amount of data I have accumulated.)

waylander

Expert Member
I use Google, iCloud and OneDrive to store my (40000) photos and terabyte of doc/pdf files. Cheap, scales and near zero chance of data loss.

Rharia

Why not use some external hard drive ? USB one ? For free you will not get so much amount of space anywhere if that is the question really. I can recommend you to search for some paid options big cloud providers provide - that's it;) No other way. I would go with USB HDD;)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Why not use some external hard drive ? USB one ? For free you will not get so much amount of space anywhere if that is the question really. I can recommend you to search for some paid options big cloud providers provide - that's it;) No other way. I would go with USB HDD;)
You can get Google Photos backup for free....so long as you are happy with their compression/resolution criteria which is just fine for anyone but hardcore photographers.

USB HDD is not safe, a single failure and it's all gone.

An option for OP would be a Home Server "Personal Cloud" that backs up to Crashplan. Fairly cheap on a monthly basis but you need to spend money on the local hardware.

Otherwise as above the Office 365 subs aren't too bad either.

JJRM

I am looking for an affordable solution that is scalable (It doesn't help if in 10Years time I will have to pay thousands because of the amount of data I have accumulated.)
Azure?

newby_investor

Expert Member
Please PM me, I am busy working on a service which I think would be perfectly suited to you. In the coming weeks I intend to open a beta, I'd love to have you on board.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Maybe explain how you want to use the solution. i.e is it purely a backup solution or are you wanting to access the data on a regular basis and by how many users. There is a difference between archiving data and having data stored for ongoing access. If you need constant access then a local NAS would be better, faster and cheaper.

Reactions: OCP

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Maybe explain how you want to use the solution. i.e is it purely a backup solution or are you wanting to access the data on a regular basis and by how many users. There is a difference between archiving data and having data stored for ongoing access. If you need constant access then a local NAS would be better, faster and cheaper.
I'm looking for about 5Tb worth of archive storage for my photos - any suggestions?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Drives crash, just a matter of time, that's the last thing you should use to store your files on, dropbox is not that expensive for 1TB.....

1558414904476.png

Google drive
1558414974966.png

One Drive

1558414998180.png

sgs

Backblaze. (Coupled with a good backup client that supports it.)

garyc

Expert Member
I'm looking for about 5Tb worth of archive storage for my photos - any suggestions?
One factor to consider is your internet speed. If to have a 10 mbps connection then it would take around 46 days to upload those files to cloud storage (assuming you do not use the internet for anything else and the connection stays reliable).

If this is a problem then an 8TB external drive costs around R3.3k.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
PM me. I'm alpha-testing a solution similar to what Backblaze is offering, and I will need beta-testers within a few weeks!
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.
One factor to consider is your internet speed. If to have a 10 mbps connection then it would take around 46 days to upload those files to cloud storage (assuming you do not use the internet for anything else and the connection stays reliable).

If this is a problem then an 8TB external drive costs around R3.3k.
Not sure how an 8tb drive helps.

I'm going to get myself a Rain sim, start with 2018, and work my way backwards. I should be able to get at least one year done during the initial free period after which I'll have to schedule everything from midnight to 18:00.

basil katakuzinos

Hard drives fail (I don’t want to set up a whole RAID server), as for USB’s they still don’t offer the redundancy of having an offsite backup.