Collecting e-toll fees 'impossible'

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/collecting-e-toll-fees-impossible-1.1268230

A group of businesses opposed to the controversial Gauteng e-tolls have claimed in court that it would be “practically impossible” to administer the collection of unpaid tolls either through criminal or civil courts.

The Opposition To Urban Tolling Alliance is arguing in court papers lodged last week, that one million transactions a day corresponding to 400 000 users will not be automated but subject to manual processing.

“This means that 840 000 invoices would have to be sent by mail to road users per month. The postal system would simply be flooded,” said OUTA. “We are advised that it would be practically impossible for the SA National Roads Agency to effect the service of 1000 summonses per day let alone a figure higher than that.”

According to Electronic Tolling Company CEO Salahdin Yacoubi, the company was aiming to recruit two million drivers to buy e-tags so that eventually 60 percent of transactions would be by transponder, leaving 40 percent to be camera-based.

ONLY 200 000 E-TAGS SOLD SO FAR

To date, Sanral has reported that only about 200 000 Gauteng drivers have purchased e-tags.

ETC is part of a consortium that won the R20 billion tender to operate the Gauteng e-toll on behalf of Sanral.

in 2011 Yacoubi said the company would need to collect approximately R10 to R10.5 million per day from Gauteng’s road users to enable Sanral to service its debt.

“To ensure road users are financially compliant, our strategy is to ensure the efficient processing of toll road transactions, especially of defaulters, implementing cost effective debt collection processes and cycles, and providing successfuland visible prosecution of offenders,” Yacoubi said.

“Non payment of tolls will be considered a traffic offence under the law. Road users won’t be able to renew their driving licences and vehicle licences as long as they have unpaid toll fees outstanding.”

INSURMOUNTABLE LOGISTICAL PROBLEMS

The article is being used by OUTA in its attempt to justify to the court why it should grant it a relief to interdict the implementation of the e-tolls by April 30.

OUTA asked in the court papers how what appear to be insurmountable logistical problems of enforcement and of cloned number plates will be dealt with.

Yacoubi estimated that 1.5-2 million of the approximately 3.5 million vehicles registered in Gauteng, would be considered frequent users who use freeways at least once a week.

According to the live vehicle population as per the National Traffic Information Systen, there were more than 3.9 million vehicles registered in Gauteng by January 2012.

MATERIAL DEFICIENCIES

“The numbers that emanate from Sanral’s contractor ETC clearly illustrate that the enforcement of open road tolling in the case of the proposed toll road network is practically impossible,” argued OUTA. “To make matters worse, the e-tolling system also has material deficiencies that will exacerbate the problem of enforcement and cause severe prejudice to members of the public.”

OUTA cited the system’s inability to charge road users who were not the owners of the vehicles they drive and failure to deal with cases of cloned vehicle licence plates as key to severe prejudices to motorists.

The Alliance submitted to the court that e-tolling was not considered properly and it was so unreasonable an option that no reasonable administrator could have chosen to adopt it.

Meanwhile Pieter Conradie, an attorney representing OUTA members, welcomed transport minister Sbu Ndebele’s suggestion of a discussion with the parties of the e-tolling but said nothing formal had been received by his clients.

Ndebele expressed openness to talking and finding the best funding solution for the country's roads in an interview with Business Report this week.

Attempts to get comment from Sanral or ETC this week went unanswered. - Saturday Star

daveza

Honorary Master
have claimed in court that it would be “practically impossible” to administer the collection of unpaid tolls

You know that, we know that, ........

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
OUTA cited the system’s inability to charge road users who were not the owners of the vehicles they drive and failure to deal with cases of cloned vehicle licence plates as key to severe prejudices to motorists.

If the photos show that it's my number plates, but a different car, then the toll fee must be scrapped. Simple as that. Otherwise it's fraud.

daveza

Honorary Master
According to Sanral you have to prove to them it wasn't your vehicle :(

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
According to Sanral you have to prove to them it wasn't your vehicle :(

If I can prove it was NOT my vehicle, but they still insist I pay the fee then I will not pay it. A court of law will throw Sanral's argument out if it clearly can be proven that it was NOT my vehicle.

So they can go ██████████████████████

ijacobs3

Expert Member
but the problem is, its YOUR job to prove their f'up!

imagine the storage space,to store photos from each "transaction"( and if they get held to current financial laws , if i remember correctly, a copy of a "transaction" or proof, must be kept for 5 years?) 1 million approx "transactions" at 42 gantries..so thats approx 42 million photos a day , for 5 years?? that's one hell of a lot of storage, bet you EMC or one of those guys made a nice sale there for storage

Last edited:

R13...

Honorary Master
This is going to get thrown out of court. A reasonable man or judge will point out that given the massive discounts offered for e-tagging there should be no need to send out so many invoices as reasonably people should tag for discounts. The fact that people are tagged is just disobedience and protest that must be resolved. So the system will either completely fail or convince the protester to get tagged.

I don't even need to be a lawyer or judge to know this.

Flanders

Honorary Master
This is going to get thrown out of court. A reasonable man or judge will point out that given the massive discounts offered for e-tagging there should be no need to send out so many invoices as reasonably people should tag for discounts. The fact that people are tagged is just disobedience and protest that must be resolved. So the system will either completely fail or convince the protester to get tagged.

Not sure I'm following you. That's like saying people who shop at Edgars should get an Edgars card or run the risk of legal action without recourse due to the unfair workload placed on the company's one and only cashier.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
but the problem is, its YOUR job to prove their f'up!

imagine the storage space,to store photos from each "transaction"( and if they get held to current financial laws , if i remember correctly, a copy of a "transaction" or proof, must be kept for 5 years?) 1 million approx "transactions" at 42 gantries..so thats approx 42 million photos a day , for 5 years?? that's one hell of a lot of storage, bet you EMC or one of those guys made a nice sale there for storage

I will not register an e-terd, and I will not pay unless THEY CAN PROVE it was me!
Ie, they must have evidence that places me at 'the crime scene' (the law says innocent until proven guilty, and they want etoll collections to be enforced by that law so they must stick to the rules too).

ISP cash cow

Executive Member

:wtf:

daveza

Honorary Master
A reasonable man or judge will point out that given the massive discounts offered for e-tagging there should be no need to send out so many invoices as reasonably people should tag for discounts.

He's suggesting something doesn't gel - if the discounts are so big yet nobody is biting then there must be another issue besides cost.

R13...

Honorary Master
Not sure I'm following you. That's like saying people who shop at Edgars should get an Edgars card or run the risk of legal action without recourse due to the unfair workload placed on the company's one and only cashier.
Face it, if you had no problem with the concept you'd get a tag than pay the higher monthly bill.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master

You can't force people to get an e-tag though. The fact that doing so entitles SANRAL to debit your account with any amount they please, and any disputes require you to provide proof, is a fair enough reason for people not to get one.

BBSA

Honorary Master
He's suggesting something doesn't gel - if the discounts are so big yet nobody is biting then there must be another issue besides cost.

Everybody is releasing that it will be impossible to collect, that is why almost nobody is interested to get taged. A reasonable man would rather pay R0 than the discounted R550 per month.

R13...

Honorary Master
You can't force people to get an e-tag though. The fact that doing so entitles SANRAL to debit your account with any amount they please, and any disputes require you to provide proof, is a fair enough reason for people not to get one.
I'm not suggesting anyone be forced to get a tag. They are being rewarded for the tag. And the whole debit your account is a one sided bull**** story because SANRAL have said you can opt for a top-up account.

Flanders

Honorary Master
Face it, if you had no problem with the concept you'd get a tag than pay the higher monthly bill.

Actually I wouldn't for the simple fact that it entails a debit order on my account. Where ever and whenever possible I do my damndest to avoid those. But, okay, I see what you were getting at.

Flanders

Honorary Master
They are being rewarded for the tag.

No. They're trying to cover up the fact that they have no adequate billing process. If they did then there would be no e-tag or discount of any kind.