Expert Member
Code:
rpm@mybroadband.co.za's password:12345
rpm@mybroadband.co.za:~$ su
sudo password:12345
root@mybroadband.co.za:~$ rm -rf /
root@mybroadband.co.za:~$ ^D

magneto

that list is longer than just 5 u/p's , tisk tisk.

ROFL pwn3d . . . not ;)

Code:
rpm@mybroadband.co.za's password:12345
rpm@mybroadband.co.za:~$ su
sudo password:12345
root@mybroadband.co.za:~$ rm -rf /
root@mybroadband.co.za:~$ ^D

Last edited:

ruan567

Best thing one can do along with a strong SSH password is to run the SSH daemon on a non-standard port. That blocks out 80% of all these script kiddies who have a tendency to scan port 22 only.

Also, firewalling out all IP ranges except your own will be good but it is not always practical.

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Those are some retarded passwords.

And pfft, everyone knows rpm's password is cara ;)

Fearl3$$

It actually show's how Ignorant most Admins are as well... We mostly think that our users will not think of that easy to guess passwords to get into a system... But do not always think of those that are not a normal "l"user and wants to get in to your systems and cause some problems...

Cost Conscious

Thing that irritates me is over-zealous web-masters like banks that insist on creating a convoluted password that you can't remember and have to commit to writing down somewhere.

Forcing you to change your PW every month ends up creating: pwordjan pwordfeb pwordmar etc etc all self-defeating.

GforceD

Executive Member
Most common password is still: *********

What no way I've the same password!

also some common passwords are swear words, not so clever when you have to give your password to your mom.

I used to work at a company and I knew over 30 different peoples passwords some where wierd like
Aphr0dity (the greek goddess of love) and some like "patch" was the name of a dog.
but the longest was 12 letters 3 numbers and a wildcard and it was a totally nonsense word.
I would tell you what it was but I may want to use it in the future

Hackson

I use the same password on all my site. From FB to twitter to gmail to Y! mail to my phone to my linux to my windows to everything even ssh here @ school :D

milomak

Honorary Master
this reminds me to do my password review for information critical sites.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
oi vey. this is ridiculous.
nice tip on changing the default port...
i think i may just do that on my new server.

Oiram

PC: Please enter new password
Me: OK, [types in "Penis"]
PC: Sorry, your password is too short

nihilist

Expert Member
It actually show's how Ignorant most Admins are as well... We mostly think that our users will not think of that easy to guess passwords to get into a system... But do not always think of those that are not a normal "l"user and wants to get in to your systems and cause some problems...

My experience has been that, even if I force long alpha numeric passwords, people in the end just write them down and stick them on the monitor or desk drawer and share them with their friends.