Computer Science degree at Unisa

January99

Hi guys! I would like to study a degree in Mathematics and Computer Science with UNISA in 2018. My problem is, I didn't do Maths and Science in matric. I only did them till Grade 10. It wasn't because I hated them or they were difficult. Eish, I got kicked out by a class teacher cause I was very naughty :wtf: I have 8 years experience as an IT Engineer and I have the following certificates, MCITP - Enterprise Administrator, MCITP - Server Administrator, Web Development Bootcamp certificate which had a bit of programming and databases and Microsoft SQL DBA. Am I gonna have to start by studying the low-level qualifications first like I don't know anything?

Urist

Expert Member
Good luck getting admission, think you`ll probably have to do the extended degree without matric math, don`t know if you`ll be able to convince them otherwise with your certificates.
As for the computer related modules, yes you start at the very beginning.

January99

Eish, I'll see if I'll convince them otherwise. Does that mean I'll add 1 more year to a degree that I wanted to complete in 3 years?

cguy

Executive Member
I doubt that you would want to do the first year maths course without first doing the maths bridging courses. Even for someone who did matric maths, the 8 year gap would make it a very steep learning curve.

For the CS course, there will be some repetition of course (I am sure you already know what a variable and a for loop are, etc.), but things should quickly progress from there. I expect that there won't be as much overlap between your experience and the course material as you think.

mr_norris

Expert Member
Hey man,

From here:

Your admission to Unisa is dependent on you meeting the specific admission requirements for your chosen qualification.

A National Senior Certificate (NSC) (Degree endorsement) or equivalent
with at least 50% in the language of teaching and learning, 50% in
Mathematics or at least N4 Mathematics passed with a minimum of 50% and N4 English, or N4 Communication, or N4 Communication Technology passed with at least 50%.
or
a Senior Certificate (SC) with matriculation exemption or qualify for
the exemption from the Matriculation Board with at least a D symbol on HG
or a C symbol on SG in the language of teaching and learning, and with
at least a D symbol on HG or a C symbol on SG in Mathematics, or at least N4 Mathematics passed with a minimum of 50% and N4 English, or N4 Communication, or N4 Communication Technology passed with at least 50%.

To enter a degree students have to comply with all admission requirements, inclusive of the minimum APS of 20, and must be eligible for admission into degree studies. Applicants who have an APS of 20 to 24 will be considered for the extended (4) year Degree curriculum where applicable. Applicants who have an APS of 25 and higher will be considered for the (3) three year degree curriculum. Applicants who comply with the minimum statutory admission requirements but do not meet the additional College requirements, may follow Unisa's alternative pathway. Applicants who do not comply with the above requirements should consider applying for a lower level qualification for which they meet the statutory and additional requirements.

I'm not quite sure what that means for you. What I'd do in your position is go to the nearest campus and enquire there. You can take your chances calling, but it's a mission. And rather do it now way before registration opens. Things get really backed up and slow when that's going on.

mr_norris

Expert Member
I doubt that you would want to do the first year maths course without first doing the maths bridging courses. Even for someone who did matric maths, the 8 year gap would make it a very steep learning curve.

For the CS course, there will be some repetition of course (I am sure you already know what a variable and a for loop are, etc.), but things should quickly progress from there. I expect that there won't be as much overlap between your experience and the course material as you think.

I was thinking the same thing when typing out my previous reply. There is a ton of maths in the newish syllabus VS the syllabus I did. I found it difficult even after doing maths in high school.

An alternative might be to do a BSc Infomatics. Same programming modules, but some maths ones swapped with some business ones from what I remember.

The Jam

Honorary Master
Only word of warning - if you have questions, rather find out where your nearest UNISA office is and go see a person - if for nothing else than to find out who you should be talking to. People take MONTHS to answer emails at that place. Terrible.

You will have a hard time with the Algebra modules, just make sure you put the time in.