Computing power, mobility, and everything in between

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Cheking in on another PC dying thread.

Seriously though, I still cannot contemplate killing my PC, notebooks are great for mobility, tablets are awesome for running around and a smart phone is exactly that a phone which enables me to do additional functionality but there Will always be a spot for a pc within my life.

Business wise, depending on job roles, certainly tablets\notebook and smartphone combo's can eliminate the need for a PC but as a home consumer, far cheaper and sustainable for a person to have a powerhouse desktop versus a powerhouse notebook.

Bernie

Expert Member
As long as gaming is alive and well, I think PC's will remain alive and well - just my opinion of course. Some graphics cards are larger than tablet PC's (and more powerful as well I think). :)

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
i will always use a pc for my gaming needs etc, cant live without it.

ultrabook does sounds very nice for business use, as it wont be as slow as a netbook but still have a very good battery life, but the price is a bit of a joke :/

KaMoS

Expert Member
PC's definitely aren't going to die anytime soon, especially not PC gaming. As long as Blizzard lives PC gaming will live on!

DavidP

Well I've swapped a PC for a dell XPS and its more expensive than a PC but I can take it and game anywhere. I regularly fly between Cape Town and JHB and game with friends so for me its replaced the PC.

MyWorld

Executive Member
The need for raw power that most none of the portables offer is one reason PCs will never die.
  • Gaming Power
  • Encoding/decoding Power
  • Comfort - it is much easier/more comfortable to use a PC than a Notebook
    Screen size​
    Peripheral size - keyboard and mouse as I like it​
    Media experience - I know you can hook your laptop up to a media centre, but I do not need a media centre with my current PC​
  • Storage space - 5TB notebooks? Extra external HDDs? Then it is not so much portable any more...
etc.

There will always (in the foreseeable future anyway) be room for both ultra portable and the huge chunk of a metal box with the screaming fans.

cpu.

Expert Member
We all like sitting on our asses at the end of a long day. When that stop, PCs will die.

zamicro

Expert Member
I am a big fan of Ultraportables. But then it must have a decent cpu.