Connecting two locations by wireless

Azgard

I've asked this on another forum, but thought it might be a good idea to ask in a few different places.

I need to connect two locations, around 1 KM apart via a wireless link. Will only be used a few times a month. The one location the equipment can be mounted permanently at but the other one will need to be setup each time. Also I'm fairly certain there is line of site between the two locations, and a busy street or two.

An important aspect though is I need to do this as cheaply as possible.

I've considered getting two WUG kits from Scoop, but I think they come with more than I need, and would come to around R3,500 total.

Next I've looked at purchasing an AP for each sided with an extra antenna, that would come to about R2,000 or so.

Then a friend suggested that we build our own "cantennas" to increase the range at each side. This may be the cheapest as myself and him have a wireless router already, so if we could just modify the antennas on those it would be cool. This route though is only a last resort. And also I'm unsure how stable this sort of solution would be.

Then on the other forum it was suggested that I have a look at the Ubiquiti NS5. I've had a look and it seems like a great solution. Until I read that it was a client-side device, meaning I could use that on one side, but then for the other location I'd need some kind of wireless AP setup, with extra range of course.

So any suggestions? The one location is my house, so if I could reuse whatever equipment I install my side it would be nice.

Main thing though is it should be as cheap as possible :)