Cop shoots passerby in Covid-19 raid gone wrong

Daruk

Honorary Master

A Stutterheim police officer is in hot water after "accidentally" shooting and wounding a 32-year-old woman in Kubusi Township on Sunday afternoon with live ammunition.
The Independent Police Investigating Directorate (Ipid) is investigating a case of discharging a firearm.
The mother of Nolukholo Mgangatho said police officers visited them at their home a day after the incident to say: "We are sorry, we shot your daughter by accident."
Nombuyiselo Gangathi, 50, said she had been having sleepless nights since the drama.
"They used live rounds on my daughter. It is not clear when she is going to be discharged," Gangathi said.
https://www.dispatchlive.co.za/news/2020-03-24-the-covid-19-crisis-for-sas-police/
Her daughter was walking from a spaza shop when she was hit by the bullet, she added.
Provincial police spokesperson colonel Sibongile Soci said police had no knowledge of the supposed apology.
Soci said Mgangatho, who is nursing a bullet wound on her left leg, was shot during a raid at a tavern where patrons "attacked" police over newly imposed time restrictions.
Taverns, clubs and restaurants selling liquor were required to close at 6pm in a bid to contain the coronavirus.
DispatchLIVE visited Frere Hospital on Tuesday in an attempt to speak to Mgangatho but a nurse, a doctor and two security guards barred the reporter from entering the orthopedic ward. A nurse, who cannot be named, said Mgangatho could not even be wheeled out to meet the reporter in the gardens of the hospital.
She confirmed the woman had been shot.
Mdantsane home raided over suspected Covid-19 man in 'hiding'
Eastern Cape health authorities and police have stormed the home of a suspected Covid-19 coronavirus carrier who was allegedly hiding out in his home ...

In a statement to DispatchLIVE this week, Soci said: "SAPS can confirm that Stutterheim members visited a tavern at Kubisi village, Stutterheim on Sunday March 22 at between 2.30pm and 3.30pm to enforce the Covid-19 regulations when a shot was fired after members were allegedly attacked by the patrons."
Soci would not be drawn into responding to further questions
"It is not the policy of the SAPS to divulge operational information. All cases on conduct by the SAPS members are investigated by the Independent Police Investigative Directorate. "
She added: "SAPS bears no knowledge of any delegation that visited the home of the mother to apologise."
Ipid spokesperson Seisa Sontaga said: "Ipid confirms that we received the matter and will be investigating it. At this point and time we haven't made any arrest."

SoldierMan

Expert Member
If it was a warning shot. What the bloody heck is he firing with his gun at that level for.
Warning shots should...be...fired...in...the..air. Frikken lunatics with badges (and guns).

Kosmik

Honorary Master
If it was a warning shot. What the bloody heck is he firing with his gun at that level for.
Warning shots should...be...fired...in...the..air. Frikken lunatics with badges (and guns).
Actually no, to my knowledge you discharge into the ground, not the air. Wonder if it was a ricochet and have ballistics determined it was actually a round from a police firearm. Or the chap paniced.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Actually no, to my knowledge you discharge into the ground, not the air. Wonder if it was a ricochet and have ballistics determined it was actually a round from a police firearm. Or the chap paniced.
Actually no as it could ricochet, in the best of situations you are supposed to aim at the point where a wall meets the floor. That is what we are taught anyway. But in a tavern with lots of people and possibly thin walls, firing off a round into the roof probably seems like the better option as the bullet will hopefully be slowed down or even stopped by what is above. Unless it's a double story then you have no option :)

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Actually no as it could ricochet, in the best of situations you are supposed to aim at the point where a wall meets the floor. That is what we are taught anyway. But in a tavern with lots of people and possibly thin walls, firing off a round into the roof probably seems like the better option as the bullet will hopefully be slowed down or even stopped by what is above. Unless it's a double story then you have no option :)
A roof yes, I thought they meant in the air in general, you never know where that round will come down.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Funny how so many on here, including DA supporters, were so strongly supportive of these new measures despite there being clear evidence that this government couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

We will see more cases like this - be very careful in supporting giving security forces extraordinary powers.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Passerby :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

I was at a shebeen and the cops raided, I tried to run away, I got hit in the leg, I'll pretend it wasn't me, I was just walking gaily past singing hymns.

genetic

Honorary Master
Warning shots should...be...fired...in...the..air.
You are meant to discharge warning shots into the ground, not the air.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Where the floor meets the zinc?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
I think compliance is going to be a big issue in the townships. I feel for the people there as many haven't the luxuries we have and are expected to stay indoors with little or no entertainment. Others are just non-compliant to the law and this is where the issues will be.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
What if you need to fire a warning shot and there isn't a wall?
Roof? If there's no roof, I guess the ground is next.

Some say that you can fire into the air safely if done at the right angle, google:

The general consensus is that a bullet fired straight up—at precisely 90 degrees to the horizontal—is unlikely to kill a healthy adult when it returns to Earth. That's because, on the way down, air resistance prevents the bullet from returning to its initial velocity.