Court Packed for Tatane Trial

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The Ficksburg Regional Court was packed on Thursday for the trial of seven policemen charged with killing local protester Andries Tatane.

Regional Magistrate Hein van Niekerk was expected to hear final arguments in the matter from the prosecution and defence teams.

Earlier, Van Niekerk indicated he was ready to deliver judgment but postponed proceedings on the State's request to prepare final arguments on Thursday.

Tatane was killed on April 13, 2011, allegedly by police using rubber bullets, during a service delivery protest in Ficksburg.

The case received huge media attention after footage of Tatane's alleged assault by police members was broadcast nationally.

On Thursday, several policemen could be seen in the court.

Tatane's wife Rose and other family members were sitting in the front row of the public gallery.

People were also sitting on the steps and floor of the small court room.

Source : Sapa /ag/aa/ks/jk
Date : 28 Mar 2013 10:30

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Seven Policeman in Tatane Case Acquitted

The Ficksburg Regional Court on Thursday acquitted all seven policemen accused of the death of local protester Andries Tatane.

Regional Magistrate Hein van Niekerk found the State could not prove its case beyond reasonable doubt.

Tatane died on April 13, 2011, after police used rubber bullets and batons to subdue him during a service delivery protest in Ficksburg.

The case received huge media attention after footage of Tatane's alleged assault by police members was broadcast nationally.

Source : Sapa /ag/jk
Date : 28 Mar 2013 12:36

greg0205

Honorary Master
How do you fsck up a prosecution when you have the whole thing on video???? Injustice will be served... Again.

F

Fudzy

Does this mean they've been acquitted all charges or just murder?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
[video=youtube;oL-FuBGioHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL-FuBGioHw[/video]

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Looking at the video he started the attack.
He was aggressive, the court mentioned that... but so would you be if you had no water for three weeks.

Nevertheless, there was no reason top shoot him at point blank range.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
He was aggressive, the court mentioned that... but so would you be if you had no water for three weeks.

Nevertheless, there was no reason top shoot him at point blank range.
****ing shocking decision. So next time a cop is aggressive towards me I can shoot him and get off Scott free..?

R13...

Honorary Master
Does this mean they've been acquitted all charges or just murder?
All charges. Apparently the state didn't use the video evidence not sure if that's true I'm sure it was presented.

Garson007

Honorary Master
What I don't get is why anyone would struggle when surrounded by cops or anyone. It just screams stupid.