Crayfish tails

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
The illegal abalone trade in the Western Cape greatly fuels the drug trade.
Yeah, the illegal poaching is insane and its organized. Lets hope the perlemoen farms going up around the place reduce the demand on the wild populations.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
There is still so much in CPT its unbelievable

They sell for between R10-12 a tail ..but the sizes have gone down
If the sizes goes down then you need to question before you even consider to pay R10-R12, not only is it illegal, but undersize which means that they are pulling what they can which is the early growth pools.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
If the sizes goes down then you need to question before you even consider to pay R10-R12, not only is it illegal, but undersize which means that they are pulling what they can which is the early growth pools.
I am not vegan ..i Dont support what they are doing but the chinese are furking eveything up

so blame them

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Got these for 10 bucks apiece on Saturday.

As I've mentioned previously, I don't eat this schit, my wife wanted to make a seafood potjie so my Cape Flats buddies managed to get this. IMG_20190120_103901.jpeg

edit: I forgot to add something in the pic to get a sense of scale, but if it helps, that's a rice strainer that they're in.

scudsucker

Expert Member
Got these for 10 bucks apiece on Saturday.

As I've mentioned previously, I don't eat this schit, my wife wanted to make a seafood potjie so my Cape Flats buddies managed to get this. View attachment 607090

edit: I forgot to add something in the pic to get a sense of scale, but if it helps, that's a rice strainer that they're in.
It's hard to judge the scale, but when I worked in a restaurant serving only legal size tails, they looked about twice that size.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Probably under breeding age.... so even worse.
Yeah.. :(

Its shyte like that that annoys me really. I would love to get a crayfishing license and get some every so often for myself... but i just can't bring myself to do it when you know that they're being annihilated by people who have no clue and who don't give a shyte about the future of the species.

porchrat

Honorary Master
I used to have a crayfishing license about a decade ago. They were plentiful and well sized.

I always used to carry a measure to ensure I was taking legal size.

Nowadays I don't bother because, as ToxicBunny has said, I don't want to help contribute to the massive pressure they're under now. I've seen undersized tails. I've seen people pull crayfish out with berries and just scrape them off without giving a schit. It's horrifying.

SAguy

Expert Member
Where can one get crayfish tails fresh and legally in CPT though, or should it be avoided completely?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
its legal when buying

illegal how they catch it
The season is closed, I believe since the WWF won the case the season is extended, 15th October 2018 to the end of February 2019. Frozen stock and those with WCRL licenses may distribute within the law.

REGULATIONS FOR FISHING OF EAST COAST ROCK
LOBSTER (Panulirus homarus)

https://www.daff.gov.za/daffweb3/Br.../Recreational-Fishing/East-Coast-Rock-Lobster

Those who catch for recreational purposes may not sell their catch. We are faced with several issues, people selling their catch, pulling out berries and catching undersize.

I don't know why people are bragging about it. They will be the first to bitch when there is non left. Freshwater Crayfish farming in South Africa is still way off.

N1sh

How do I clean crayfish tails?

I'm going to steam them. Is there any cleaning I need to do before the time? I heard there is a "worm" I need to remove. Is that only in the whole crayfish or in the tails also?

Thanks.
I learnt a method from a local fishermen I met at Port St Johns of cleaning crayfish by making a cut either side of the joint of the tail and body leaving about 2mm in the center. Twisting out the remaining joint and pulling removes the path of food to the anus easily (not sure what the scientific name is)