Crayfish tails

marco79

Expert Member
How do I clean crayfish tails?

I'm going to steam them. Is there any cleaning I need to do before the time? I heard there is a "worm" I need to remove. Is that only in the whole crayfish or in the tails also?

Thanks.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I normally braai crayfish tails. You dont have to remove anything if its the tail. Prawns are different.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
yeah i have never removed schit from the tail or seen any

prawns have schit pipes

saor

Honorary Master
In the tails pretty much... Its their shyte pipe...
I was just about to tease you for thinking they poop from here:
1.jpg

I thought it happened somewhere here:
2.jpg

Turns out you're correct, as much as I can gather from strange google searches like this:
3.jpg

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Mileage may vary of course... but freshly caught can have crap in their shyte chute.... shop bought generally won't because they haven't been fed for a while...
Last time I got some was Mthatha Mouth (far in the Transkei).They are R10 each and R1 each for the oysters (opened). Watched the guy get them in front of the hotel.

I have been warned not to purchase the durban ones.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Last time I got some was Mthatha Mouth (far in the Transkei).They are R10 each and R1 each for the oysters (opened). Watched the guy get them in front of the hotel.

I have been warned not to purchase the durban ones.
At R10 each and R1 for oysters, that must have been donkeys years ago....

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
And now, it would be safer to get your own Crays down there than pay someone else for them... They catch them and store them in the long drops and other unsavoury places... plus they aren't cheap anymore even there.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
My last time was over a decade ago. Are they not farmed now?
Pending where, but I see many people bragging of their catch. The police also had a huge raid in the West Coast, many crying and they can cry as much as they want.

I know many in the food and beverage industry who came late aware of the fact of the status of the West Coast Rock Lobster, but acted promptly. Also a well-known fresh sea food wholesaler pulled their Crayfish after a person of the public made them aware of the fact. The regulator is doing little to inform the market.

Marco can enjoy his tails.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
At R10 each and R1 for oysters, that must have been donkeys years ago....
Last time we bought we paid R12 each and that was in January last year.

Being Cape Town it wasnt very "legal" though... for the record I don't eat any other seafood other than fish so I just watched the guys buy and then grill the things

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Last time we bought we paid R12 each and that was in January last year.

Being Cape Town it wasnt very "legal" though... for the record I don't eat any other seafood other than fish so I just watched the guys buy and then grill the things
Hmmm yeah at R12 a year ago would be HUGELY dodgy... of course...

Crays are nice, but hells bells they're expensive when bought legitly, and of course they're massively endangered so not something that ones gets regularly these days.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
There is still so much in CPT its unbelievable

They sell for between R10-12 a tail ..but the sizes have gone down

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
I know someone setting up a perlemoen farm. Since you are not allowed to dive those out any more Im ganna try get some off him.