Crayfish tails

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Cut the tails down the middle and remove the gut/vein. I'd suggest removing it, it may not taste like anything, but it does feel weird.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Got these for 10 bucks apiece on Saturday.

As I've mentioned previously, I don't eat this schit, my wife wanted to make a seafood potjie so my Cape Flats buddies managed to get this. View attachment 607090

edit: I forgot to add something in the pic to get a sense of scale, but if it helps, that's a rice strainer that they're in.
Woooo undersized...

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Imagine that happened to people, killed before they reach breeding age. It would make our low income areas more sustainable from copulation...at least the crayfish would be happy.

/Wait for the "but they're people" apologists

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Last time I took my father to Margate he asked every black guy he saw if they could organise crayfish, to my shock one guy actually rocked up to the gate of our holiday flat with a packet full of crayfish.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
After doing some reading, it was for sure. One of the reasons I don't consume these. I realise now it was a mistake to buy them :(
They are actually sweeter than the normal size ones, or ones bigger.

Crayfish are nearly tasteless, and everyone overcooks it anyway.

Then again, I should keep my bek, I have started soaking a few Pear Lemmone for a pie.

Quad

I learnt a method from a local fishermen I met at Port St Johns of cleaning crayfish by making a cut either side of the joint of the tail and body leaving about 2mm in the center. Twisting out the remaining joint and pulling removes the path of food to the anus easily (not sure what the scientific name is)
The "shitpipe".