Crime Rates Down

CeeBee

Expert Member
stats hahaha... if only it weren't so tragic
almost wanted to laugh this morning on the radio when the dj spoke about the minister's stats.
"serious crimes have come down..... house attacks went up" !!! IMO what is more serious than being attacked in your own friggin home?!
just shows that our perception of serious crime and Minister's is way different.
:mad:

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Above are the raw trends as supplied by SAP Crime Statistics for 2007. [ New Window ]

Quite interesting that although these stats show an overall decrease in crime, the DA implies the same stats that they show an overall increase in by selectively highlighting certain areas without showing any meaningful trends

http://www.rainbowblog.co.za/node/37
ras

xtermin8or

Expert Member
The fact is that the report shows that house robberies and business robberies are up, and the police are now implementing strategies to improve this, remember also that because people themselves, esp in Gauteng have beefed up their own security, the rate has dropped here, but is increasing dramatically in areas like the Southern Free State.

The fact that murder and attempted murder is on a downward trend is significant, and the police have said that only a small proportion of house robberies end up in murder

Now, I know that alot of people are going to say, bull****, and quote numerous newspaper reports, but remember that a newspaper will not report on a house robbery, if there was not a murder or rape as well

starfish103

dear starfish, welcome to myadsl.

with reference to my quote, i say "funny" because depending on what the agenda of the parent poster is, it is either "crime has gone up" or "crime has gone down"

i find that funny. can you understand that? either crime is up , or it is down, there is no inbetween really.
Things are rarely black or white, there are shades of grey as well!

It has to be taken into consideration the that there are different types of crime we are talking about. If you want a up or down answer then overall crime has shown a decrease.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I doubt crime has actually gone down.

Like was previously said, cops are not necessarily opening cases for everything.
I had an intruder a few months ago at home, and went to the cops to open a case just because I felt it was right and all that, and they refused to do so.

Nod

Executive Member
Also, I think that giving the number of caught criminals, doesn't equate to the number of successfully prosecuted (thrown in jail), criminals.

The SAP and NPA should be measured on how many criminals are taken of the streets in the end.

Sweetlicks

I never trust statistics and from what I read and hear on the news, these are also complete rubbish!

xtermin8or

Expert Member
I never trust statistics and from what I read and hear on the news, these are also complete rubbish!
What you see and hear in the news is in no way a scientific or accurate representation of the crime situation - the stats are based on reported cases, and are compared to the same period last year, they show a decrease, and I see no reason not to believe that the stats are accurate, just as when the last stats showed an upsurge I saw no reason to doubt them either.

Basing your beliefs on hearsay and speculation is foolish and dangerous

icyrus

Executive Member
What you see and hear in the news is in no way a scientific or accurate representation of the crime situation - the stats are based on reported cases, and are compared to the same period last year, they show a decrease, and I see no reason not to believe that the stats are accurate, just as when the last stats showed an upsurge I saw no reason to doubt them either.

Basing your beliefs on hearsay and speculation is foolish and dangerous
There is no reason to believe that stats either. The people who collect and compile them's ethics and motives are questionable to say the least.

Anyway, stats are useless wherever they come from.

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Bageloo

Expert Member
Stop talking "rubbish". A decrease of 7% of crime stories in the press will hardly make a noticeable difference, especially if it's over a period of 12 months...

starfish103

Anyway, stats are useless wherever they come from.

Stats are not useless, they give an indication as to which areas need more attention and perhaps need different approaches. The SAPS have commented that "the increase in house robbery, business robbery and truckjacking has been noted and measures are being put in place to address these crimes".

No one is disputing the fact that crime is high, however I feel we need to give credit where credit is due and the hard work by the SAPS along with initiatives such as the Crimeline have resulted in a decrease in crime.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Now let's see.

The stats are produced by ??? in order to show the efficiency and efficacy of ???

Bageloo

Expert Member
Now let's see.

The stats are produced by ??? in order to show the efficiency and efficacy of ???
who else can produce crime stats for us.. ?
If the aim was to demonstrate efficacy then why such modest decreases ?
Why would they even show increases in other categories ?
This argument is totally devoid of logic.

icyrus

Executive Member
Stats are not useless, they give an indication as to which areas need more attention and perhaps need different approaches. The SAPS have commented that "the increase in house robbery, business robbery and truckjacking has been noted and measures are being put in place to address these crimes".

No one is disputing the fact that crime is high, however I feel we need to give credit where credit is due and the hard work by the SAPS along with initiatives such as the Crimeline have resulted in a decrease in crime.
The validity of the stats cannot be reasonable guaranteed an as such are useless.

marine1

Honorary Master

Actually they are when they are being manipulated by the current regime.

NoADSLyet

Expert Member
Contact Crimes have shown a significant decrease according to the latest SAPS crime statistics for April to September this year. The crime stats will now be released every six months, instead of annually.

the stats show a decrease of

Murder - 6.6%
Attempted Murder - 7.6%
Rape - 3.6%
Assault GBH - 2.8%
Common Assault - 5.1%
Aggravated Robbery - 9.7%
Common Robbery - 12.3%

House Robberies have gone up by 7%, business robberies by 29.3% and truckjacking by 53%

Gauteng's house robberies dropped by 7%, while in the Free State it has risen by 114%

the full report is available on the SAPS website

Yeah, Redefinition skew all the statistics don't they.

Robberies 29.3+7.0-12.3-9.7= 14.3% increase

And some fools believe everything this crooked government say or print. F@@LS!

marine1

Honorary Master
I suppose then you also believe that AIDS can be cured by garlic? It must be true if the gvt says so right? Damn people believe anything that the anc tell them

sand_man

Honorary Master
these stats are based on reported crimes. if the public perception is that there is no point in reporting a crime other than for insurance purposes then how can these stats be at all accurate considering that the most severly effected by crime would be your Impoverished squatter dwellers. they neither have insurance nor I would imagine much faith in the police services. house robberies up because they reported, one cannot claim from insurance for stolen goods without a case number so that’s no surprise but as a victim of rape what recourse would the victim have other than ridicule and stigmatization... very sad...

sand_man

Honorary Master
a stat I would love to know is what percentage of serious crime goes unreported??!!!! that would be the the most shocking stat of them all, believe me....

Skeptik

Banned
I believe the SAPS play games with the stats. You put Robbery & Assault on the form, they change it to theft/common assault. Then nothing comes of it. Attempted housebreaking becomes tresspassing.