Deciding between two car.... need help

Ritalin-Boy

I'm looking for a cheap car (<R100K) and just comparing all cars to make my final decision.

The two car I am now stuck on (not as a final car) is the Ford Figo and the old Fiesta (similar shape to the Figo).

How do those cars compare and which would you choose? (Please give a reason)

Thanks

USZA

Executive Member
I have a Mark VI Fiesta Ghia - the shape just before the new one. I've done 59 500 kms with it and had no major problems with it so far apart from the normal wear and tear. The Ghia is also full-spec - electric windows up front, electric side-mirrors, central locking, climate control, leather seats, and the added advantage of being a 1600. You can pick one up for under R100K.

The Figo again, and I drove one, has tacky hard plastic interior, is only available in 1400 - I speak under correction though. It's benefits though, is that it runs a more fuel-efficient engine than my Ghia or any Fiestas in my car's range.

So, if you're going to go old Fiesta, go Mark VI, or Mark V even. Ford Figo is nice, but why pay more for less.

Masataka

Newer car might last you longer but would cost more to repair out of warranty that an older car (new technology, design, etc). But if you have a decent amount of time left on the warranty then it should be fine taking the newer car.

Alternatively you buy a slightly older and better car (better engine, more features, etc) and the money you save can be an "emergency" fund IF something were to break. To be fair, a new car can break 2 days after you buy it, just because you buy a newer car doesn't instantly mean it will last longer. So many factors in buy a car.

Tim182

Expert Member
I have a Mark VI Fiesta Ghia - the shape just before the new one. I've done 59 500 kms with it and had no major problems with it so far apart from the normal wear and tear. The Ghia is also full-spec - electric windows up front, electric side-mirrors, central locking, climate control, leather seats, and the added advantage of being a 1600. You can pick one up for under R100K.

The Figo again, and I drove one, has tacky hard plastic interior, is only available in 1400 - I speak under correction though. It's benefits though, is that it runs a more fuel-efficient engine than my Ghia or any Fiestas in my car's range.

So, if you're going to go old Fiesta, go Mark VI, or Mark V even. Ford Figo is nice, but why pay more for less.

+1, if you can find a low milage one with good service history (<50k km)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Get the Figo - newer is always better. Good choice BTW, Fiestas are excellent little cars. Glad you are not aiming low, as is polow.

genetic

Honorary Master
Get the Figo - newer is always better. Good choice BTW, Fiestas are excellent little cars. Glad you are not aiming low, as is polow.

A Fiesta is way better than a Figo. The Figo is a watered down version of the old Fiesta.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
If by watered down you mean much improved, fresher, better and not-watered down... then yes - I agree.

Ritalin-Boy

Judging by what I have read, I think the best option is for me is to test drive both and see which one I prefer...

crysis

Expert Member

I was going to get the figo, but for the same price got a high spec 1.4 hyundai getz instead. Considerably more powerful, suprisingly quite inside, and the ride quality is far better than my moms nissan livina. Definitely worth it.