Degrading Telkom LTE Uncapped speeds

My ping always good even when speeds slow. Exceptional to.get bad ping.
 
You need to try setting your router to only use the 2300Mhz band which you do inside the huawei toolbox that is pasted a few times on here.


Inside the ToolBox you will see the selection option to set it to 1800Mhz there.

Otherwise you just change the Value to 4 that will put it on the 1800Mhz band

Here is the info for the bands

LTEBand:
1 - B1 (FDD 2100)
4 - B3 (FDD 1800)
40 - B7 (FDD 2600)
80 - B8 (FDD 900)
80000 - B20 (FDD 800)
2000000000 - B38 (TDD 2600)
8000000000 - B40 (TDD 2300)

There is a link to the ToolBox
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...zRvVlpLUll1c1k

Read this page otherwise we have spoken about it alot on here


http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...m-LTE-Uncapped-speeds?p=18062678#post18062678

Hi thanks for the tip. I did come across that article previously and did attempt changing the frequency settings which did not make a difference. At that time my connection was great, getting around 45mbps DL and then all of a sudden crash.... The strange thing is that I have three Telkom SIM cards, the other two are a cell contract and the 5gb data with portable modem, and both of those SIM cards offer nearly the same crappy 0.5mbps no matter the time of day. When I am outside of my house in other areas both SIM cards perform as expected, logically there is something wrong with the tower? But Telkom still takes over a week to fix this...! Which still isn't resolved.

I reported the incident for the second time tonight.
 
A number of people on Facebook have reported that LTE speed has been restored in Pierre van Ryneveld some time during this morning. Have you had a chance to test yet?

Back to 30mbps last night. Wonder how long this will last until it starts decreasing again as this seems to be a 2 week thing now.

My Speeds seems to be throttled to 30mbps, I can do a speed test 3AM and it will not surpass 30mbps.
 
Back to 30mbps last night. Wonder how long this will last until it starts decreasing again as this seems to be a 2 week thing now.

My Speeds seems to be throttled to 30mbps, I can do a speed test 3AM and it will not surpass 30mbps.

Ping was iffy again between 20:30 and 22:00 spiked to 300ms....

Restart your rouoter and you will see the speed break 30mb again its abs bizzare but when I set any band on the toolbox it would almost cap the speed to 30mb, but only if I restarted the router with a needle did it break this 30mb.
 
Ping was iffy again between 20:30 and 22:00 spiked to 300ms....

Restart your rouoter and you will see the speed break 30mb again its abs bizzare but when I set any band on the toolbox it would almost cap the speed to 30mb, but only if I restarted the router with a needle did it break this 30mb.

Restart with a needle, like a factory reset?, if i do this, is there anything i need to setup again?, will the WIFI password stay the same?
 
Restart with a needle, like a factory reset?, if i do this, is there anything i need to setup again?, will the WIFI password stay the same?

I have two other routers connected to my Huawei either wifi bridged or over lan cable and they all reconnect perfectly with no issues nothing more than factory restarting it :)
 
I have two other routers connected to my Huawei either wifi bridged or over lan cable and they all reconnect perfectly with no issues nothing more than factory restarting it :)
Awesome, i was scared I had to set it up from scratch. I'm gona try this tonight then.
Thanks for the info =)
 
Im home now just run speed test:
Ping: 15ms
DL: 58mb
UL: 7mb.

It would appear all is good again, just hope this is the case tonight.

Back to 30mbps last night. Wonder how long this will last until it starts decreasing again as this seems to be a 2 week thing now.

My Speeds seems to be throttled to 30mbps, I can do a speed test 3AM and it will not surpass 30mbps.

Came home last night and the tower I'd orientated my antennae to based on one of Snyper564's earlier posts was performing absolutely dismally (couldn't break the 1mbps mark). This tower, while not offering lightning speeds, was by far the most stable and consistent one that I could connect to in my suburb, So I changed antennae direction back to my old tower and my speed has definitely improved (especially upload) but download speed seems to be limited to around the 15mbps mark. I can't really complain though, it allows me to stream 1080p once again without buffering.
 
Came home last night and the tower I'd orientated my antennae to based on one of Snyper564's earlier posts was performing absolutely dismally (couldn't break the 1mbps mark). This tower, while not offering lightning speeds, was by far the most stable and consistent one that I could connect to in my suburb, So I changed antennae direction back to my old tower and my speed has definitely improved (especially upload) but download speed seems to be limited to around the 15mbps mark. I can't really complain though, it allows me to stream 1080p once again without buffering.

I struggle to stream 720p on 15mbps and I don't understand why. I use KODI. Streaming SD content works brilliantly, 720p works for like 10 minutes and then it starts stuttering like a MOFO. So not sure if the sources on KODI is to blame, and if its the LTE.
Last night even with 30mbps, few minutes into a 720p movie it starts freezing/stuttering/buffering and i have to switch to SD.
 
Technician is coming out next week... will keep you guys posted.

Just hope they can understand that the evening is the biggest issue as it will most likely show amazing speeds during the day :P
 
Last edited:
I struggle to stream 720p on 15mbps and I don't understand why. I use KODI. Streaming SD content works brilliantly, 720p works for like 10 minutes and then it starts stuttering like a MOFO. So not sure if the sources on KODI is to blame, and if its the LTE.
Last night even with 30mbps, few minutes into a 720p movie it starts freezing/stuttering/buffering and i have to switch to SD.

I also use Kodi for streaming on occasion. Sources can most certainly be unreliable but if you're constantly experiencing this on every 720p/1080p source you try at any time of the day, there may be a need for further investigation. It could be that your connection is 'bursty' (apologies, can't think of a better term) which as you're no doubt aware, will give great Speed Test results but the speed is not consistent enough for streaming HD. This was exactly the sitaution that resulted in me trying to connect to a different tower a week or two ago. Although my speed was lower on the new tower, it was at least a far more reliable connection for streaming.
 
I have two other routers connected to my Huawei either wifi bridged or over lan cable and they all reconnect perfectly with no issues nothing more than factory restarting it :)

Hey,
You were right, just tested now, will have to check tonight again. Just got 42mbps.

Thanks!!
 
Ok so last night I get home and my speeds have returned to what they used to be. Hopefully this stays consistent :whistle:
 
My speed is moer toe again. I can change the band to whatever my heart desires, all of them are fcked.

Ai Telkom :-(
 
Speeds

Well I have to say Telkom, when it's good it's great and when it's bad it's a disgrace. But lately it's been Brilliant. SpeedTest
5553724714.png
:D
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X